PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy/lightheaded is it really just anxiety

kathyanne
16-03-12, 06:53
Hi everyone, haven't been on here in a while.

I have suffered from HA best part of 10 years now. The most recent attack has been the worst by far. Few weeks ago I found out my husband had an affair, it absolutely shocked me. I was ok to begin with, wanted to save my marriage and took control. Then after three wks my husband went down with Flu, so little effort was being made by him as he was ill. I started to withdraw from him, suddenly out of the blue symptoms started to show up that I had never had with Health Anxiety before. I suddenly felt dizzy/giddy, that feeling was followed by a temple headache that would not go away with tablets.

Suffering with health anxiety I rushed to the GP, she said it was all anxiety and my real issue was my marriage, I needed to take control again and deal with the bigger picture. I have since visited 3 seperate doctors, seven times refusing to believe I can give myself such weird horrible symptoms. I feel dizzy on and off alday, couple with this weird headache thats around alot of the time. I am very depressed and keep crying over the situation with my husband..

Any offers of help with the dizziness/lightheadedness. I don't like it, I want to believe my doctor but keep thinking it's not anxiety but a real brain problem, like a tumor. I have had a brain scan about 4 years because I wouldn't accept the doctors diagnoses, I don't want to end up having another one done just because I won't listen.

Please help....

hazy
16-03-12, 11:53
:hugs: Like you I have been feeling the same recently although I haven't had my anxiety like I used to but since Sunday I have had the light headiness and feeling like I am going to faint. I would sit and ask myself why I was feeling like this, I'm not stressed? Then I would remind myself that I separated from my ex 4 months ago after a 17 year marriage, moved from Leicestershire to West Yorkshire, not in same circles anymore, no friends around me, kids playing up, on benefits and permanently short of money and the bills don't let up. So I then realise, no bloody wonder I am having my moments.

My point is, stress, anxiety and panic hits us all in different ways and we assume that unless we are running around tearing our hair out we are ok. Emotions, feelings and thoughts catch up with us and what you are and have been going through is typical anxiety and your Doctor is right! You need to teach yourself to address why you are feeling anxious and talk to yourself in your head "it's my anxiety, there is nothing wrong me with, I am fine, I am feeling like this because of........" you may sirprise yourself and find you feel better. At the moment I have yet another tension headache and stiff neck, my light headiness seems to have eased today thank goodness, but today I have so far dropped the kids off at school and sat and done nothing really and its been quite nice. When I feel anxiety kicking in I immediately get up and move to another room and get myself busy and amazingly I find I have forgotten about my anxiety and say to myself "there you see, it is all in your head".

Don't worrry, your an expert on your HA and you know its nothing serious, try calming down and addressing your problems and deal with it, good luck and sending you a :bighug1: xx

Anacbn
17-03-12, 20:17
Hello all,
More than 2 year ago, after having my daughter and living isolated in a place I knew no one I developed strong HA(I had ha before but nothing like that. After a week in a state of panic I started feeling dizzy/lightheaded all day long. It was horrible and I went to all doctors, and dr google looking for a solution for this dizzyness, I felt like a zoombie, just watching my life go by. It took me a long time to accept that it was a symptom of anxiety, but believe me it is. In this website theres a list of symptoms that explains quite well this. Unfortunately it was my worst symptom and it hanged on for a year and a half. I found that learning to control your breathing helps a lot, but the best answer is exercise(properly at the gym, at least 3 times a week). Life changes and time are also good, I guess.
Acceptance that it was an anxiety symptom is very important to get over that, but you can do it, I know it is horrible and I used to feel like I would lose control, that i was mad. You are not alone. All the best to you and I hope you sort out your problems and start to feel better!!

kathyanne
23-03-12, 17:49
Firstly Hazy thank you so much for your reply. It really helped me. I have never had light headedness as a anxiety sypmtpom before. I have been to doctor several times and she has said over and over again it's anxiety caused by the stress I'm under at the moment with my marriage. I am starting to have more faith although sometimes health anxiety gets a grip and I have a bad turn. I hope you are well. Please let me know and thank you. x

Anacbn thank you also for your reply. You say you had the dizziness for along while, I still have the dizzy spells with headache after 4 weeks, doctors said it won't go until I accept that it is just anxiety and not something like a brain tumor. I have been worrying myself sick over the giddy feelings thinking it must be nasty. I am trying really hard to accept. Your reply really helped, thank you so much. Hope you are feeling better. Keep in touch. x