PDA

View Full Version : Trimethoprim

Savannah
18-03-12, 02:09
My 6 year old daughter has been very unwell and ended up in A&E today with suspected appendicitis. Turns out she had a UTI.

She's to take 10ml twice a day for 5 days.

I read the leaflet to double check if it goes in the fridge or not and scared myself when I noticed it said 'occasionally' following a course of trimethoprim cases of meningitis have been reported. So to look out for the symptoms.

Well I'm now petrified!!!!

I know she needs the medicine, but how will I relax after the course? I'll be worrying myself sick for weeks:/

They tested her urine using the dipstick which showed a few abnormalities, then they said it had been sent to the lab for results on Monday but started her on the antibiotic.

I'm so worried about that side effect. Does anyone know if it's rare? It's quite scary.

nomorepanic
18-03-12, 02:14
They have to report every single occurrence of anything whilst taking the drug so I expect it is very very rare

Just keep an eye on her - there is nothing more you can do to be honest but I think she will be fine

Savannah
18-03-12, 02:16
I know, I just wish she wasn't on this drug but now she is we can't stop it:(

I was upset that I found out by reading the leaflet, the doctors didn't mention it.

I've had a rough 2 days with her, she was so unwell at A&E today. I don't need any further worries:(

Pipkin
18-03-12, 02:25
Hi there,

I know it's hard but my advice would be to follow your doctor's direction and just keep an eye on your daughter. As Nicola said, all side effects have to be reported - even those which are incredibly rare. This drug has been used since the 60s - if it wasn't suitable, it would have been withdrawn.

The consequences of not treating her UTI are more serious.

Take care

Pip x

Savannah
18-03-12, 06:42
Thank you very much.

It's so sad seeing her this poorly, I'd not stop her medication, I know how important it is she takes her course. It just surprised me as its not a side effect I'd ever seen on medication.

daisycake
18-03-12, 09:27
It's a very rare side effect - so rare that when I was on it, I didn't know about it. It's a good drug as well - clears UTIs in a matter of hours/ one or two days. Sadly I'm not allowed it as it brings me out it in hives but it is a good drug. Hope the wee one's better soon :)

Medical literature says that only a few cases have ever been documented, and only about three in paeds - a 15 year old lad who was taking it for months at a time due ton acne and conitually stopping and starting the drug. I wouldn't worry, it seems so very unlikely :)

kinnygirl1
18-03-12, 21:01
I think it must be very rare. My daughter(now 8) has been on it lots of times as she has a problem with recurring UTIs. She has even been on a small dose every day as a preventative for 6 months and was fine. UTI's are horrible so I think the benefits of this drug far out way the possibility of a very rare side effect.

toria
18-03-12, 22:06
Hi just wanted to reply as my 6 yr old has had trimethoprim quite a few times for uti's as she gets them now and again she has always been fine with no problems at all,they always put these warnings on info leaflets they have to to cover there backs chances are 1 persons could have had this after taking the drug it might not even be related to taking the drug but they will have to put it as a side effect just incase,iwork ina hospital pharmacy so no they have to put everything on info leaflets take care hope your daughter feels better soon toria xx

Savannah
19-03-12, 10:53
Thank you all, so so much. She is improving now on the antibiotic, such a relief and I feel more relaxed now. It was just a scary thing to read in the middle of the night x