PDA

View Full Version : Something I'm trying which seems to work a bit

ems73
18-03-12, 09:31
Hi everyone
Just thought I'd share something i'm trying out which seems to have a bit of effect.
(I'm currently generally anxious - taking fluoxetine 20mg, helped with depression but not with anxiety, constantly producing adrenaline for no reason).

My Counsellor advised me to "get angry". This is as a way of changing the way your brain thinks, changing it from worried/fearful to anger is just a way of tricking it into stopping the adrenaline rushes.

I've decided to get "angry" at my Anxiety. I've given it a name and a persona.

I'm not an angry person so it's not easy, but now whenever I feel that adrenaline rush and start feeling worried/awful I punch a cushion, (several times really hard). I get angry and tell my anxiety to F off and that I won't be beaten. I picture myself kicking it and beating and punching it.

OK it's not ideal but it seems to dissipate the bad feeling. It will try and come back and I kick it in the arse again.

Haven't tried this at work yet:) may need to take myself off to the loo and just say things in my head.

I'd be really interested if anyone uses anger to try and fight their anxiety and if they have any success.

nicola1980
18-03-12, 09:35
A few weeks ago when my anxiety was at its worse i went upstairs and was thumping the pillows on my bed while crying loudly :blush: it felt good to vent some anger but my life i was knackered after it.......i was really pelting the pillows lol xx

ems73
18-03-12, 09:55
We need an outlet don't we, we put up with so much

little wren
18-03-12, 12:42
[QUOTE=ems73;962457]Hi everyone

My Counsellor advised me to "get angry". This is as a way of changing the way your brain thinks, changing it from worried/fearful to anger is just a way of tricking it into stopping the adrenaline rushes.

Hi yeh, Ive been told to get angry too. I think its the fight/flight thing. Instead of fleeing the brain thinks you are fighting. The adrenaline gets used up in the 'fight'. I feel a lot less anxious when I get angry. I find anger difficult though and tend to use excess adrenaline up via exercise.

Pipkin
18-03-12, 12:49
Ems,

I'd say anything's worth a try - don't want to scare my teddy though!

I may well give it a go.

Pip x

ems73
18-03-12, 16:59
I find getting angry difficult too and i wonder if that's a trait of anxious people. Maybe because we internalise stress we suffer from it more than others that find it easier to vent. When I feel wronged or hard done by I tend to feel upset and sorry for myself rather than angry - can't be healthy I guess

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Pipkin - your teddy can take one for the team :-)

theharvestmouse
18-03-12, 20:53
Good way to change anxious energy into a different kind of energy, I was got so angry that I forgot about my anxiety.:)

Darrenb74
18-03-12, 21:04
I've got a good idea ems. When you get anxious at work just go an and knock the boss out :p
What is strange is i have always been told by professionals not to fight it but what you have said totally makes sense. I'm gonna put my punch bag up on the ceiling this week and give that ago definitely when i am anxious. Just hope she dont mind the bruises. Only joking i wont leave any bruises lol.

Darren :D

PanchoGoz
18-03-12, 22:35
I've heard about this technique, also that you can use either anger or arrousement :blush: I suppose the whole palps and sweating sort of tricks your body into thinking...yeah :blush:

ems73
19-03-12, 07:19
I've got a good idea ems. When you get anxious at work just go an and knock the boss out :p
What is strange is i have always been told by professionals not to fight it but what you have said totally makes sense. I'm gonna put my punch bag up on the ceiling this week and give that ago definitely when i am anxious. Just hope she dont mind the bruises. Only joking i wont leave any bruises lol.

Darren :D

lol