PDA

View Full Version : scary chest pain

john
28-06-06, 00:50
HI im new here and im not sure if all I have is anxiety but about 7 months ago I went to the emergency room with chest and left arm pain.I am only 21 could I have heart problems anyway they ran an ekg and blood tests and nothing abnormal.I wasn't convinced and went to my doc he said it was anxiety and gave me anti-deppressents took them for a month but every morning I would wake up thinking i was going to drop dead.After a month of meds it seemed maybe it helped.Then about 3 months ago my left hand went numb and my chest had still been hurting but I would try to not think about it. So it persisted so I went to different er .They gave me another ekg ,chest x-ray,and blood tests and nothing abnormal.But I still think it,s my heart now my shoulder and my back hurt and I think but I m not sure I have had palps.I am so freaked that maybe I have arrythmia OR SOME OTHER HEART PROBLEM and I am going to die any minute any input would be highly appreciated

john

leanne1980
28-06-06, 07:59
hi john

try not to panic you have had tests and that was ok, i know its easier said than done though, im the same as you, convinced im gonna drop down dead of a massive heart attack or something, ive been getting pains in my arms for a few weeks now and it is scary, also i had the a itchy prickly feeling in my arms and legs, im sure you will be fine

take care
leanne xxx[8D]

emma chant
28-06-06, 10:50
Hi John,
I've got your problem right now.
And like u went to doctors after christmas because my heart beating fast,
but doc said nothing wrong with my heart.
But suffer from anxiety ,thats what it is.
xx

e chant

chucklehound
28-06-06, 10:59
Hi John and welcome to NMP:D
I get real bad chest pain too but I have noticed that if I try not to think too much about it then it easese so much quicker.
Hope you feel better soon:D

Take care

Chuckle

xxxx

Ma Larkin
28-06-06, 11:17
Hi John, you wouldn't believe how many times I've been to A&E with the same problems. I am scared to death that my heart will pack up at any minute. I take strong painkillers at the slightest twinge, which is every day and am on Prozac and take Diazepam when the panic sets in. I don't think I'll ever get over the fear of my heart packing up. I also drink and smoke too much, constantly worry, but can't give up!! This has gone on for 15 months now. I've had ECG's, chest x-rays, millions of blood tests and everything has come back normal. I know its health anxiety and I personally feel its the worst you can get, fearing for your life every day. I have 3 kids aged from 17-5, I'm not religious but pray everytime I get a twinge, not to take me away from my kids.

Try not to worry, I know its easier said than done, but we are still here mate so we should trust in the experts and put it down to anxiety, stress and panic.

Les

**whenwillthisend**
28-06-06, 11:30
hi john i too fear for my heart having bad time with ectopics and palps...but have had chest tightness almost constantly for 5 months getting better now...had heart tests all ok...but i know its the anxiety cos as soon as i get panicky my chest goes tight and get pains...
it dont matter how many times we are told we are ok we still worry we are gonna pop our clogs any minute.....its this fear which keeps our symptoms going!!!!

mconlon
28-06-06, 12:42
Hi John

I get these feelings every day. It is incredibly hard to ignore all the signals your body is clearly giving you - that feeling of doom and certain knowledge you are going to die is like tidal wave hitting you and all you want to do is rach out and grab something - the feelings are very very powerful and I really wish you could replay them in someone elses body so they too could understand what the hell you are going on about.

But then nothing happens. To your HUGE disappointment nothing serious happens. which then makes you ashamed to have caused a fuss. then comes guilt. then it happens again etc etc- BIG VICIOUS CYCLE.

Most of us are looking for an answer to our dilemma and god only knows if any of us have found it. But know this. There are hundreds of people who smile knowingly when they read your post - "That is me" they will say.

So depite being so uncertain about life and death, and despite not trusting the tests and the diagnosis you should and can trust this simple truth - YOU ARE NOT alone. All who post here give evidence that anxiety is real and frightening and terryfying etc etc but IT IS what you have. Nothing else.

We are all on your journey John and we will be with you until you can lay anxiety to rest.

MC

Daisybun
28-06-06, 13:17
It is so typical for those of us with health anxiety to keep worrying, even when we are reassured, I do it all the time, I have tests, i get drs opinions but i still believe there is something wrong. What you have to remember is that our thoughts and feelings are contolled by anxiety and fear and fear is a liar! I write down what the drs tell me now and when i get one of those horrible lying thoughts I read what the tests etc and the drs said and tell the lie to get lost!!

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

janie
28-06-06, 14:28
Hi John

I am exactly the same. In fact I came on NMP today to post an identical thread. I have stabbing pains in my chest, just under left breast. Today my left arm is tingly and bizarrly my ears are popping. I have also had ecg and all ok, but like Ma Larkin, I have 4 children who I cannot leave. The thought of dropping dead terrifies me which probably keeps the pain going.

I know in my heart of hearts that it is just anxiety because the pain moves about and I wouldn't be able to function normally with heart disease but it is just sooooo difficult to ignore.

I long just to put this to bed - to say "there is nothing wrong with me and I am as strong and healthy as the next person" but then I get a twinge and seem to be back to square one. I try to think positively and rationally and I am sure we will all get there with support. Thanks for your thread - take care and remember the doctors are clever people, the tests they run are very accurate. If they had any concern at all they would suggest more tests - they have to do that to cover themselves - risks of law suits etc. Be strong - PM anytime.

Janie xxxx

kayley
28-06-06, 20:32
hi john . i went through exactly what you goin thru now bout 5 months ago im just starting to accept now thta theres noin wrong with my heart . it all started while i was in lecture my heart fluttered n it triggered a massive panic attack since then ive neva bin the same . ive been to the emergency room 8 times in the past five months with chest pain , arm pain, palpitations ive had 8 ecgs, 2 chest x rays and 8 lots of blood tests and 1 24 hr heart monitor . all negative but it still doesnt stop me from thinking all these doctors are wrong !!! all 8 of them ive had doctors promise me that im not going to haver a heart attack but it still doesnt do any thing . i really empathize wid you . my latest health problem is now i think ive got a lump in my stomach

april tones
30-06-06, 01:10
Hi john

You poor thing! i have suffered jumpy beats or etopics as they called
Not nice, they calmed down loads now and i dont worry
The more you think of it the more its there
do you smoke or drink or drink caffeine? xxx

fibrochat) http://apriltones.proboards54.com

whatisitnow
30-06-06, 14:35
Ive had the chest pains since the begining of the year off and on. They went for a couple of months, then something else worried me, then when i got rid of that worry the chest pains came back. Under the boobs, smack bang in the middle of the chest, going through my back. Any which way possible. Didnt have palps though. Never have. Yet. But 2 weeks ago i started exercising again & generally feeling better about myself & for just over a week now the pains have been gone.
If you have been checked out, i bet like mine, yours is because of focusing on it too much.
Caz xxxxxxxxx

Pete to win Big Brother! He is Daddy Fantastic with pants made of elastic!

nomorepanic
30-06-06, 19:07
Heart palpitations/chest pains

One of the most worrying symptoms is chest pains or a tight feeling in your chest. The immediate thought is "heart attack" or "stroke" and this only worries you more. You may also notice that your heartbeat is incredibly fast or irregular at times having palpitations and again this leads to the worry that you will have a heart attack. There is no evidence that Panic and anxiety has any adverse effect on the heart and the pains are easily explained.

When you start panicking the whole of your body becomes tense and this includes your muscles.
The chest pains you experience are due to the constricting of the chest wall muscles and the muscles between your ribs and not due to any actual muscles in your heart and the best cure is to start stretching these muscles gently to relieve the pain. Although you may not feel like doing any exercise whilst getting these pains, try stretching your arms above and behind your head, out to the sides and bending over gently to relieve the pain.

Naturally most people are dreadfully worried about their hearts but if your G.P. has given you the all clear cardiac wise - then do not be alarmed if the chest pains and palpitations come back and last for more than a day. If is related to panic, although it is painful and worrying, the pains will subside if you try gentle exercise and ignore them.

Chest pain
Dull ache (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3044)
chest pains (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3487)
Are these heart symptoms? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4805)
Chest Pains (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4462)
what does your chest pain feel like? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5309)
Chest pains for weeks and ectopics (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5856)
Chest pains (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5886)
Nervous (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6498)
struggling... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6901)
chest tightness (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6972)
Chest Pains?! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7314)
heart attack obsessed (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7471)
chest pain (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7440)

Hope that helps

Nicola

john
01-07-06, 02:23
Thank you all so much for all of your replys.It helps so much to know you are not alone I wish I could say I am totally convinced it is not my heart but it is so hard to get over this .I to have a son and aloving family and girlfrien I have been with for 5 years and the tought of leaving them all absolutely terrifys me but I know with help and persistance I will make it through this well anyways thank you all john

john

john
12-07-06, 02:32
I am finally getting a good health insurance.All of us with H/A can apreciate that.So if I get a wild hair it wont be as expensive.Thank you all for your support if anyone else out ther has anyting else to add please feel welcome just reading other peoples post's helps alot. john

john

kiss25
12-07-06, 02:41
hi john i get this all the time.. it feels like my arm is completly dead yet i have all the strengh in my arm (its my left aswell). and it makes my chest tight .
Do you feel like if you burp alot and rub your chest and around ur side where your breast is it might feel better ?
it is acid reflux caused by foods smoking and coffee and most of all by anxiety :)
i have had this for years and i have been hospitl plenty of times and nothing abormal . try drinking lots of milk and cutting back on coffee and smokes (if you have these) and also fatty foods and garlic and tomato seem to trigger mne too . sometimes mine lasts for days in a row then it will go away but comes back all the time :)
hope this makes sense to your problem and it helps :)

cuteliljocey
17-07-06, 03:02
HI John! As you can see there are many many people with the same feelings as you. I have the same anxiety! I think its my heart all the time. I like you am also 21 years old and now on Zoloft which helps with Anxiety. I still panic from time to time and think im going to drop dead, and leave behind my husband and two cats. Its very scary I know just how you feel. Im sorry you are feeling these pains. I assure you that if the doc says everything is okay then everything is okay. A good book to read is it not all in your head you can get it on Amazon.com and its all the information you need to know about health anxiety!

Craig80
19-07-06, 10:45
John, hello bud...

i also have these same feelings. it is 100% anxiety. i've been to the docs and im healthy as a bean, no problems at all, but i still sometimes convince myself its something worse!

believe me if you had heart problems you would know about it! and they would be constant pains also. your doc would also see this straight away.

my pains move about when im anxious, left side of my chest, right side, in the middle.

at first i was really bad...really thought i was on my way out and didnt have a clue what was happening to me!! not just chest pains but a whole cocktail of symptoms!

now i dont tend to get scared when i get strange pains, and i tell myself that i worry too much, and im fine, and i think of many other occasions when i have been wrong, and over exagerated and tell my self to stop being such an idiot and get a grip! which does help a lot.

if im web designing, chatting, concentrating, then im fine. then i think wow i feel great, then my mind often goes back on the anxiety issue and within minutes im getting chest pains, and generally feeling crap and on edge again! This to me is enough proof that im healthy and the symptoms are anxiety and nothing else!

80-90% of my day im on top of it, some days im fine, others im not great....it really is annoying and takes it out on the whole body. its a constant worry, and concern, and its that that causes it. its a big viscious circle, and the only way to stop it is to get confident, get on top of it all, and kick its ass lol. easier said than done, but you need to train your mind to deal with it. it will work, and im definitely on my way to getting over all this. (iv only had it 3 months, but now i know ways of dealing with it its 100x easier now than it was at first.)

Also being healthy and getting some exercise will help a lot. I've stopped smoking at the weekends, cut down on junk food, get regular exercise, take fish oils, vitamins, etc and it all adds to your well being and makes you feel better in general which in turn will help aid getting over the anxiety.

i feel your pain matey, and its not nice at all....but the only way through it is to get on top of it, and trust me it can be done by anyone.

I think most of us are weak minded, and we allow ourselves to feel like this. This is what we need to sort out! and it may take a while, but practice make perfect. Everyone has the ability to feel 100% fine all the time! :)

lizmarshall
19-07-06, 14:04
John,

Iknow exactley how you feel, i have had chest pain now for 4 weeks (something like that) it's really starting to pee me off.

Keep your chin up

Liz

jackie
19-07-06, 22:20
just to add tha tthis is my worst symptom at the moment alnog with left arm pain

how to ignore it and not fear it that is the question

jackie