PDA

View Full Version : is this totally irrational?

N206
10-05-04, 17:52
hi this is really embarrasing,but i need your help

Not sure if i am alone on this one or not but i have a huge fear of going to the toilet.
i focus on my stomach all the time and if i was constipated every day i dont think i would be half as bad! My stomach is constantly churning and gurgling,more than a normal person and so i panic.
i worry about everything i eat incase i upsets my tummy,i dont like going out incase i need the toilet in a hurry and cant make it and i get severe panic attacks if what i pass is even slightly "loose".
I spend alot of time staying indoors due to my panic and anxiety anyways, so i watch alot of tv to pass the time. i start to feel jelous of the people on tv,because they are having normal lives doing what they want and are not controlled by they're stomach.
i dont know how to stop being so obessed with my bowel functions.

Your stronger than you'll ever know,you control your own world.

sarah
10-05-04, 18:32
Hiya N206

Firstly welcome to the forum. I hope we can help you with the info you need.
I read your other post and im sorry you are having such a bad time.

I would definately say that your tummy is rumbling and making strange noises because you arent eating enough. When I go out, I dont like to eat before as sometimes my panic makes me feel sick and I feel that if I dont eat anything, there wont be anything to come up (sorry- yukky conversation i know :)). This is daft I know as when I dont eat I usually end up feeling faint from hunger and panicking over that instead so I know where you are coming from.

I dont know what to say to help you, im sure someone will come up with something helpful with regard diet. I for one, would make sure that the things I ate I cooked myself so I knew it was cooked properly.

Also you have to think to yourself..have you ever gone out and not made it to the loo in time? Chances are that you havent and you just think you wont..like I think i will be sick. Believe me, its just a nasty thought process and the more you think about it, the worse you feel.

Try going out a little way from home (even a couple of houses away) and gradually go further until before you know it, it doesnt become so much of an issue to be close to home.

Take care

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

N206
10-05-04, 18:57
hi sarah
thank you so much for your post. just talking to other people who relate to how i feel is helping to justify how i am. ive always thought im crazy or mad and worry that i might end up on a nut ward in a hospital cos im not like everyone else i know.
i do have the benefits of a very supportive and understanding family,altohugh this doesnt usually make any difference. if im gonna panic, its gonna happen!
i also suffer the same extreme behaviour about being sick too. if any1 i know has been sick or theres a bug anywhere im in a right state for days until i feel im back in the safe,and its passed without me coming in contact!and i am the ame as you-if i dont eat,theres nothing to come up...or go down! [:p]
i am trying to go out a little bit and go that bit further- tomorrow im having my 1st hypnosis session so maybe itl help and i can get back to having a normal life.
:)

Your stronger than you'll ever know,you control your own world.

sarah
10-05-04, 19:23
Hiya again

I too used to think i belonged in a nut house..now I know im 'normal' and im trying to get my old life back. it helps a lot to know you arent alone..you are right there.
Ive been having hypnosis and its been briliant for me...do let me know how you get on.

love sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

imported_n/a
10-05-04, 19:56
hi there ,,i too used to have a fear of being out and needing the loo ,,and also the "loose" syptoms ,i still fear about or even panic about needing the loo when i am out ,,so i allways make sure i go before i go out,,which is sometimes difficult but it seems to work for me ,,YOU ARE DEFFINATLY NOT ON YOUR OWN OK,,i have changed my diet in the last 7-8 months and this has helped me enormasly lots of fruit,,protien helps settle my stomach also nuts ,,salted peanuts are very good,,,all the best xxxdarrenxxx p,s,,i also gat vey enviuos of people living "normal" lives on t,v,,but this doesent really help,,,WE WILL DO WHAT THEY ARE DOING 1 DAY AND WE TOO WILL HAVE"NORMAL" LIVES OK,,,xxxxx

Meg
10-05-04, 20:09
There are a couple of good books on IBS and diet. I'll have have a hunt through my stuff.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Laurie28
11-05-04, 15:15
The more you focus on something the worse it is going to be. hopefully with a diet change etc you can get back to living a 'normal' life (whatever the h**l that is!!!)

If you think that fear is irrational (and it sounds like a geniune fear) then you should hear some of mine - they are crazy - lol

Love
Lucky

stimpy
14-05-04, 23:38
I suffered with that for a long time.

I can't go because my wee hurts - oh no I have some thing terrible - panic.
No, actually - my wee hurts because I wasn't drinking enough water and my system was drying out.
I became terrified of going to the loo.

You will find that your tummy will make strange noises.
Either because you are nervous or because you are hungry and you don't realise it.

Try not to worry too much, go out a little way - just for a walk to the end of the road, and see how you feel after that.
As long as you are eating your tummy should be fine and take care of it's self.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Caitlyn89
29-05-04, 05:40
Hey i watch so much tv i can tell you whats on anytime lol i sing along with comercials for gods sake hehe. Um i get envious of people on tv because i wanna be normal like them and stuff and i also get upset with loose stools but thats because of my emetophobia and i think everything is a sign of me getting sick.

pink lady 1
30-12-06, 16:45
Hi all,

I understand completely where you are coming from. I always need to go to the toilet when I am away from home and constantly check where the nearest one is, always 'what if's - what if i dont get there in time, what if i s*** myself in public!' etc etc. I dont eat all day sometimes as i think if there is nothing inside me its less likely i will need to go. I take imodium when i dont feel comfortable with certain situations and hate driving with someone else in the car, or travelling on public transport with someone else, as i panic i will loose control in front of them and this makes my anxiety worse. I always prefer to be on my own, despite otherwise being a confident, outgoing and sociable person (as long as i feel comfortable anyway!).

I know my fear is real as I have soiled myself (only a tiny bit, not full blown if you know what i mean) a couple of times. This is so humiliating and makes me think my fear is so real as if i need to go, i WILL go!

I went shopping today and had to run to the toilet at one point as i panicked i wouldnt get there in time, of course i did, however it was very loose and the whole time i walked around, i was aware of my stomach and had constant butterflies.

The butteflies are another nightmare, half the time i am excited or have nice anticipation for something, but i mistake the butterflies for needing the loo and before long i have to go!

So sorry to ramble on but i completely understand and wish i had the answers. My doc put me on 10mg Cipramil but lasted 5 days as the side effects were so awful, so now am on the waiting list for CBT and going to go to hypnotherapy through the therapists on this site. I have had this for about 11 years now and its so frustrating.

I will have to continue taking imodium and forcing myself to do things, I have a great job, family and friends and some people wouldnt have a clue about how i suffer inside, but i refuse to let this beat me - i really hope you guys can do the same, its hard.

Take care all.

pink lady 1
30-12-06, 16:46
Hi all,

I understand completely where you are coming from. I always need to go to the toilet when I am away from home and constantly check where the nearest one is, always 'what if's - what if i dont get there in time, what if i s*** myself in public!' etc etc. I dont eat all day sometimes as i think if there is nothing inside me its less likely i will need to go. I take imodium when i dont feel comfortable with certain situations and hate driving with someone else in the car, or travelling on public transport with someone else, as i panic i will loose control in front of them and this makes my anxiety worse. I always prefer to be on my own, despite otherwise being a confident, outgoing and sociable person (as long as i feel comfortable anyway!).

I know my fear is real as I have soiled myself (only a tiny bit, not full blown if you know what i mean) a couple of times. This is so humiliating and makes me think my fear is so real as if i need to go, i WILL go!

I went shopping today and had to run to the toilet at one point as i panicked i wouldnt get there in time, of course i did, however it was very loose and the whole time i walked around, i was aware of my stomach and had constant butterflies.

The butteflies are another nightmare, half the time i am excited or have nice anticipation for something, but i mistake the butterflies for needing the loo and before long i have to go!

So sorry to ramble on but i completely understand and wish i had the answers. My doc put me on 10mg Cipramil but lasted 5 days as the side effects were so awful, so now am on the waiting list for CBT and going to go to hypnotherapy through the therapists on this site. I have had this for about 11 years now and its so frustrating.

I will have to continue taking imodium and forcing myself to do things, I have a great job, family and friends and some people wouldnt have a clue about how i suffer inside, but i refuse to let this beat me - i really hope you guys can do the same, its hard.

Take care all.