PDA

View Full Version : Scared cause I've had too many cat scans and X-rays don't wanna get cancer

Worriedgirl87
19-03-12, 07:02
Im really scared right now.
I'm afraid I'm gonna have cancer because I have had a cat scan of my head.

When I was 19 a stomach scan case of my appendix.

2 dental X-rays that I can remember of.

Back X-ray for chiropractor .

Foot X-ray for my leg.

Now I'm really starting to worry I've over done it.

I feel stupid for not being safer.
I feel dirty. I feel like I just ruined my whole life by having these cat scans done.

I couldn't help it! My appendix was about to reputed they had to take a cat scan!

That was when I was 19.

Now I'm 24 and had another cat scan on my head. Because my pupils dilate different sizes .

I've had teeth X-rays and stuff as well, and an X-ray on my ankle.

I am serious freakig out hard about this.

I am so scared and so worried I feel like I messes up big time!

macc noodle
19-03-12, 07:10
You have to stop and consider this - would the health professionals allow you to have these scans if they thought that you had had too many for your body to deal with?

Your scan for your appendix was a life saving scan - so it was necessary!

Your dental xrays are normal.

As indeed are the xrays on your ankle & chiropractor.

Listen, the thing to bear in mind is if you are constantly seeking reassurance about your health, then you are more likely to find yourself having tests including scans etc that will increase the number you have in a lifetime over, say, a non anxious healthy accident free individual - that is just the way it is ................................

I think that you are absolutely fine and need not worry - and when you look back in say 10 years time, you may well smile and say "well I haven't had any scans in ages"

:)

Ange17
19-03-12, 10:19
Hello... I feel your pain & worry and I am dealing with the same . I have had 2 head cat scans a year apart ... First one I went to the ER because my head hurt so bad and they did one .. Later found out it was my first migraine .. And the second was for having double vision .. I had this back in 2005 and the doctor did an MRI and couldn't find anything wrong so I've just lived with it until this past fall when it got worse so he sent me for a cat scan but already told me what it was before he sent me .. I just have an inflamed muscle behind my eye and the scan was really unneeded .. :(... Everyone says its benefit vs risk but in my case I wish it would've been .. As for you, you could have died had you not had it done and your appendix burst .. It saved your life .... I don't know why you had one of your head though ... So I can't comment on that .. cat scans are important when used the right way and the risks are explained to you .. I never knew how bad they were until I saw it on tv a couple weeks ago and my life has changed forever .. I can't eat, I can't sleep I can hardley get out of bed in the morning :( I just turned 40 and have a beautiful 2 year old son .. I am trying to stay strong for him and my husband but it's very hard . I sit on the computer all day just looking for any little bit of hope that I am going to be ok. But in reality nobody knows .. Cat scans haven't been around long enough for any substantial study to be actually done so it's all a guess . If its any consolation your risk goes up when you have a repeated scan on the same area like me .. It's what they. cumulative exposure .. I think you will be just fine .. Me on the other hand .. I've had repeated damage to the same area :( so I fear the inevitable for my future and I am very scared too . You can email me if you like . I wouldn't even worry about your regular X-rays .. The radiation levels are so small to be of any concern. ((( hugs )))

Worriedgirl87
19-03-12, 11:40
Yes I am so scared. I never knew the RISKS of this. The doctor never explained them
To me. Now I'm worried about my future.

I don't know what to do. I can't stop googling,

Ange17
19-03-12, 12:13
You have to stop googling .. It only leads to madness .. Believe me I know .. And on the Internet you are never going to read anything good about anything .. People only post the negatives about most things especially the media ... I think you are going to be just fine like I said your cat scans were done on separate areas and our bodies have great capabilities at repairing any DNA damage that may have occurred . It does make me angry that doctors are so quick to order tests without explaining the risks .. But if it's an emergency like your appendix time is precious and minutes matter that ct was very important .

Worriedgirl87
19-03-12, 12:16
Thanks for writing to Me. I'm just really scared I messed up my body you know?
It's hard to stop googling because I am
So worried :((

I just am so afraid you have no idea.

Now I'm
Scared I WILL get a brain tumor .

hannahd9
19-03-12, 12:51
if the drs didnt think it was safe for you to have all of this done then they wouldnt do it! they have all your medical records and know what you have and havent had done, im pretty sure you will be fine! speak to your dr if you still feel the same and get some professional advice :)

Ange17
19-03-12, 12:53
I'm scared too :( I've lost 5 pounds in two weeks and I can't eat at all .. I have myself so upset over this every time I eat I throw up .. I wish I could just wake up from this bad dream... Believe me ...I know exactly how you feel ..

countrygirl
19-03-12, 14:24
Most people on here will have same excess exposure as you so you are not alone in this.

I hope no one thinks I am being cruel here but I am trying to be rational and have alot of experience of just this problem.

Firsty you can do absolutely nothing about past exposure, there is no point in worrying about what you cannot ever change. Remember that people who have never ever had an x ray get cancer and then someone who has had alot of exposure for various reasons lives to a ripe old age. You might never ever suffer any ill effects but you can ruin your life if you want by worrying it might happen. I know this sounds cruel but its the truth.

Due to HA and spinal problems I had alot of x rays in my 20's and early 30's. I can do nothing about this, but what I have done is make sure that I have not had any more x rays unless there was no alternative test. Thankfully ct scans were not available to me then.

Radiation exposure is the cinderella of the medical profession - Drs never consider the effects of the tests they order - I know some will say they won't send you for radiological tests unecessarily but each Dr works as a separate entity so two different Drs will send you for tests without knowing the other one is as well. for example friend of mine was sent for CT kidney which made him radioactive for 24 hrs so high dose radiation - then a week later a different dr a cardiologist sent him for a thalium stress test that is equivalent to 6000 chest x rays. In two weeks he had a massive dose of radiation. He is 70 so he is unlikely to see any possible long term effects BUT if he had been 30 or 40 then he was at risk. Neither Dr knew the other was ordering the tests.

So having researched this subject extensively in the past and having son who works in nuclear as well my strategy is the following

If a Dr wants to send me for any test involving radiation I always always explain that I have had alot of exposure in the past and do not want any more if there is an alternative none radiation test available. Most Drs are happy to accomodate this.

( Good example was I had persistant cough - ENT Dr scoped my throat but he said he wanted a barium swallow to check throat below voice box - I explained above and he agreed for me to have a camera instead, it cost more so that was why he did not offer it first).

You have now learnt through experience that you have had some exposure that MIGHT but probably won't put you at risk later in life so learn by this and always question the need for any medical test that uses radiation.

Most importantly - just enjoy life, don't waste it worrying about what in all probability will never ever be.

Worriedgirl87
19-03-12, 15:23
I'm seriously so scared im gonna get cancer, icant take
This anymore

Ange17
19-03-12, 15:50
Ok so that just made me feel worse .. As I am only 40 :( and she is only 24...I didnt know .. I wish I would've known and asked the right questions but I didn't :( I guess some of us learn lessons the hard way ....

Worriedgirl87
19-03-12, 15:56
Ya I'm scared... And really worried

Ange17
19-03-12, 16:05
Country girl I read ur post On another forum how you know a radiologist etc. is my risk high ? :( I do appreciate ur info and I'm glad I know now not to have anymore but im looking ( we are ) looking for any little bit of hope that we might be ok ...I know we can't change anything now but we are just worried sick ... Please help us ..

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

Worriedgirl ~ are you doing ok ? Ur in my thoughts and prayers .. Where are you from?

Worriedgirl87
19-03-12, 16:22
I am so worried god help us :(

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

I feel fine physically . I just am scared that's all.

daisycake
19-03-12, 16:40
I'm in quite a similar boat.

I have 3 chest x rays, at least 10 of my jaw/skull as I had teeth growing in my cheeks, about 10 of my teeth and multiple for both legs and ankles, as well as an abdominal one a few times. None of them were ever by choice - I have dental issues, jaw issues, broken both legs, have had a lot chest infections and had a ruptured tummy lining as a baby/four year old.

Best thing you can do is not worry, they only raise the risk very slightly.

snowgoose
19-03-12, 16:41
I dont answer health questions normally ..but this is upsetting you so much :hugs:

YES there is a risk and as country girl says if there is alternative in future ask for it .

Without x rays we would be in a bad place truly . the option would be docs having no guidance to what is the truth about our illness . It is a very important diagnostic tool .
Ct and Mri scans are expensive and are used rightly so for those that have more complicated illness that x rays dont show up clearly [eg soft tissue and nerves ]

Radiotherapy which is cancer treatment uses high doses of x ray to cure and control cancer . Patients of mine are back years later with no effect at all . you got to balance the small risk against the illness . Docs need this info to treat you . not so sure about dentists though . x

You must trust the docs and the research xxxxx
we all are exposed to radiation when ill and it has been carefully looked into .
Ask by all means if there is an alternative .........but dont knock this very valuable diagnostic tool back if your doctor thinks it will help to sort problem .

please please dont worry .
snow xxxx

Ange17
19-03-12, 18:12
Thank you snow .. I have never been so scared of anything in my life .. My husband and I did 3 rounds of ivf to have my son who just turned two and I just want to be around for him and I feel like I have totally jeopardized that now for being stupid . I'm feeling so guilty I wasn't smart enough to say no . I know worrying is just going to make it worse and it's not healthy but I don't know how to shut it off ? I know nobody really knows what the odds are because everyone is different and ct ' s haven't been around long enough for people to make any kind of accurate odds.. Which scares me even more :( I just need to get on with my life and enjoy my family and get out bed and start living again .. Like my husband says why worry now when ur still well and nothings wrong with you it's not going to do you or us any good .

oldtime
19-03-12, 18:13
A CAT scan is about the same dose as an air hostess gets in one year of air travel

Ange17
19-03-12, 18:32
Thanks old time ...I have researched that like what we get in a year for just living in America and its like 6 msv's but that's spread out over an entire year on your whole body .. Ct's are directed in an area in seconds so therefore do more damage to DNA :( Ugh .. I'm thinking I should just just off my phone and. Computer and be done with all this .. I think it's just making it worse ..But I feel like if I don't talk about it I will just go crazy .. Maybe I should just listen to my husband and move on .. What's my alternative ..

countrygirl
19-03-12, 20:27
You are worried about radiation exposure at the moment but by its very nature health anxiety will mean that a few weeks down the line you will have found a different scenario to worry about. Its health anxiety this is what happens to us all.

I can read your total panic in your posts, you are not really reading the replies in the context they are meant you are picking out the bits that fuel you current terror and focusing on them.

I have been where you are years ago - I was in my early 30's and like you found out all the negative things about x ray exposure but then I realised that there was nothing i could do about it.

As I said in my earlier post - I personally know alot of people who have had either no x rays or maybe one chest x ray and yet they go on to deveop cancer, and I also know people who have been exposed to radiation at work that far far exceeds what you have had and they are fine decades later.

You have to move on for your sanity, you can't change what you have already had, you can limit the amount you have from now on, the risk of any adverse effects is absolutely tiny so please go out and enjoy your life now.

Ange17
19-03-12, 21:16
Thanks country girl ~ its funny cuz I've never been to the doctor my entire life until I did my ivf treatments and then only for my double vision and once to the ER for my first migraine ... I eat organic exercise use organic products on my hair and skin and exercise ... I wish I would have had the knowledge to say no to tests that could have increased my risk for cancer .. I went to the ER cuz I never had a headache like that b4 .. Was pretty scarey ..anyway I appreciate your kind words more then you know .. I will try to move on from this for the sake of my family ..I hope you are right and the risk is tiny I have read its probably around 2- 3. % but I guess nobody really knows .. Thanks again .

Worriedgirl87
19-03-12, 21:49
I'm really scared. I am really upset. I can't enjoy my life now. I am extremely depressed an worried that I have ruined my life. I don't know what to do. I am going crazy inside . I feel sick and I am extremely upset my doctor never told me there was a huge risk like this. :(
I'm about to cry.

Ange17
19-03-12, 21:59
I'm seriously so scared im gonna get cancer, icant take
This anymore

Worried ~ im sorry you have to go through this too.. I wish there was something I could dO or say to make you feel a little better .. All we can do is pray and leave it up to God .. I have made myself so sick over this and I am losing out on the important things in life like my family ..You can't change anything from the past what's done is done and for you I know you will just fine ..you will be in my thoughts and prayers always . And I will always be here if you need to talk but we have to try and go forward .. I know easier said then done but we have to try ..

countrygirl
19-03-12, 23:07
Worried , you have not been put at huge risk- you have possibly been put at slight risk and maybe not even that.

Why waste your life and ruin it by worrying about something you cannot change and probably won't happen???

I feel for you as you are in severe panic mode and just cannot take in what any of us are posting but please try and answer my question to yourself and hope it will make you calm down.

Worriedgirl87
19-03-12, 23:23
I just can't help but worry country girl.
I feel like I have been raped.
The doctor never told the risks about this cAt scan.
I feel cheated. I cant stop reading information on the Internet,
I cant stop worrying. I can't study. I cant do anything country girl.
I'm
So worried in gonna get a brain tumor
Or
Lukemia from these 2 cat scans. I am seriously worried sick .

I don't know I just wish I never did this

Worriedgirl87
20-03-12, 12:40
Hi everyone.
I'm shaken with severe anxiety.

I've had two cat scans done in my life and I am worried about the possible reaction from the radiation.

I had one cat scan on my appendix when I was 18, the other cat scan of my brain A few weeks ago.

I've. Been gooling all over the Internet and have scared myself silly .
I haven't slept in 2 days. I am worried sick I will get likemia or a brain tumor. now thet I've a gotten a cat scan.

I didn't know about The risks of cat scans so that's why I got one.
I can't stop obsessing over this.

Pleaseeeeeese someone talk to me.
I can't stop obsessing over it.

I am
Worried sick about this and really am confused .

Darrenb74
20-03-12, 13:20
Hello worried girl. I'm not to good on OCD but stormsky is really good on this subject so maybe you could ask her about it.

Darren :)

Worriedgirl87
20-03-12, 14:04
I'm Serioisly freakkng out :(
I'm scared . And can't enjoy life

nomorepanic
20-03-12, 14:09
I will merge this with the post you did yesterday on the same thing as you had loads of replies on there so have a read of them again

daisycake
20-03-12, 14:49
Whether you are at greater risk or not there is nothing, not a thing, you can do about it now. You can take steps to prevent further risk (e.g. living a healthy lifestyle and avoiding further exposure) but there is nothing you can do to solve what's been and done. So why worry?

We all have a chance of getting cancer, its very treatable and manageable and it's not something to spend your days panicking over. Doing so will only make you feel more ill.

Do *not* google. If you feel you need advice please talk to your GP or another appropriate professional but don't just google. The information has to be taken in the context of a medical understanding and will be influenced by your own patient history - neither of these things you have an expert knowledge on, so can't interpret what you are reading correctly, that and you are not thinking rationally.

So do yourself a favour firstly and put the PC down for at least a few hours. Go and have a bath or shower. Get something to eat, get a drink, watch a funny film. Make an appointment to see the doctor and have a chat about things, see if you can get this sorted.

You can beat this worry, but only if you allow yourself to and only if you try x

Worriedgirl87
20-03-12, 14:53
I know there's nothing I can do about it.
And thanks for writing to me.

I just can't handle the way I am feeling because I am so scared of dying and gettin cancer from
These stupid cat scans.

I just cant be happy knowin cancer can come any second. ;((((

I just can't help myself from worrying and I just don't know what to do :(
Ive barely slept and I can't sleep I'm worried scared. Loss of appetite I'm
So worry I have no idea how to comprehend this.

Ange17
20-03-12, 15:11
Thanks daisy for your kind words .. My mom had to come over today to take care of my two year old because of my recent depression over this to .. I am trying so hard to be positive .. And what you say makes allot of sense ....I am trying my hardest and will continue to fight so this doesn't get the best of me and worried girl you have to too!! You have to be strong ..(( hugs)) googling has pretty much destroyed me please don't do that .. You are not going to find the answers you seek u just have to trust in god or whatever or whoever you believe in that everything will be ok . I know easier said then done but you have too !

Worriedgirl87
20-03-12, 15:28
It's just hard because I'm only 24 and I feel like I've ruined my whole life.

It's hard to not worry.

I feel like I'm gonna die soon. I dont know what to do.

Ughhhhh I hate doctors so much!!!!!!

RosieXXX
20-03-12, 17:18
I too have had this worry, but was heartened when hearing this on a bbc Horizon programme some months ago.

In April 1986 Chernobyl a nuclear plant station blew up. Over the following mths there were dire warnings about the number of deaths from the massive radiation exposure.

20 years on a number of scientists argue there is no credible evidence that anyh of these predictions are coming true. Environmental group Greenpeace said figures would be near 100,000. Another Torch predicted an extra 30,000-60,000 cancer deaths across Europe.

According to an international organisation of scientific bodies, including a number of UN agencies deaths directly attributable to radiation from Chernobyl currently only stands at 56 - less than weekly death toll on Britain's roads.

They do not expect an epidemic of leukemia and they dont expect epidemic of solid cancers.

In the past scientists have simply guessed that if hiigh level radiation was dangerous than lower levels would be hazardous. They made an assumption.

Chernobyl, where most people received doses below 200 millisieverts, has been the first large scale study to test whether this assumption is true. The evidence from Chernobyl suggests it is not.

Low doses of radiation are a very poor carcinogen - says Prof Brooks who spent 30 years studying link between radiation and cancer. "If you talk to anybody and you say the word radiation you get a fear response. That fear response has caused people to do things that are scientifically unfounded".

Beneficial Effects

Other studies have come to even more startling conclusions, and have found that far from the effect of low level radiation being carcinogenic, it appears to boost those genes that protect us from cancer. There is a growing body of opinion that it is time to rethink the risk scale of radiation exposure.

I really hope this gives some comfort. It put things into perspective for me. x

Ange17
20-03-12, 20:00
Rosie ~ thank you so much for taking the time to post that information ~ It is very enlightening :) have you had cat scans in the past too? My husband is a hairstylist .. Actually we have our own shop here in Ohio and he has been asking all of his customers who are nurses .. doctors .. Really close friends about it and most of them have had quite a few in their lifetime and knock on wood are all still doing ok . One client who I am very close too said 30 years ago she had a head ct and also had some lung problems .. They actually did chest cat scans every few months on her for a few years until her condition was stable .. Like I said she is 63 today :) that was also when ct 's just came out and dosing was much higher then it is now ... President Jimmy carter lost his dad brother & sister to pancreatic cancer and as a preventive measure had 2 ct's every year for a few years then started getting MRI 's and he is in his 80's .. My brother said he worked on a nuclear ship for awhile to and was exposed to allot . So I think our bodies are amazing machines... It brings me much comfort in knowing this and what country girl has said to . My brother is a chemist at penn state and has tried to console my fears ...he explained to me that the brain is one of the most radiation resistant organs we have .. Their aren't as many cells replicating there as the rest of our bodies .. Which made me feel better ... And worried .. Our client who had all of those chest ct's should bring you some comfort I hope :) you have to live life and not be afraid you have to stay positive .. I still have my ups and downs .. Especially this morning but I hopped on my elliptical and burned the crap out of it . Lol..You just have to try and hope for the best ....

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Rosie your dog is so cute :)

RosieXXX
20-03-12, 20:11
Hi Ange,

I have had a few xrays and my husband has had ct scans. I really think you should take comfort from the information you have gathered. I know it is difficult when you are trying to rid your mind of these worrying thoughts, which do become obsessive. It is true we have to learn to enjoy each day as it comes, and not to live in fearful anticipation of things which are unlikely to happen. Do stay away from google because it causes So much anxiety, and can be totally misleading. I never allow myself to google because I know where it will lead, and once you start it seems impossible to stop, because you think that one more google will bring some kind of comfort - it never does. x

mikewales
20-03-12, 20:22
People have been having X-Rays for years, there is no firm evidence that having a normal amount increases any risk of cancer. Obviously you dont want to expose yourself to it daily over and over, which is why the operators protect themselves in hospitals when they take them.

The same with cat scans, the amount of radiation really isnt that big. I'm sure there are loads of conspiracy theories and ill informed scaremongering on the web from people with nothing scientific to back up their theories, as there is for most things if you look for it !

We are all exposed to raditation every day of our lives, from all sorts of different sources. Extreme exposure can cause cancer ( as in exposure from nuclear accidents and testing ) but not normal amounts used medically.

You may get cancer, but then any of us could, the fact is the medical profession dont really know why some people get it and some dont ( some smokers get lung cancer, some who have smoked for 60 odd years dont ).

What you need to do is go and see a doctor about your health anxiety, this is the problem, and your worries over cancer aren't rational. Look at getting some treatment for the HA as it is taking over your life, and needn't do

countrygirl
20-03-12, 21:09
As I said in a previous post my son and daughter in law both work in the nuclear industry and very specific jobs high up thats all I can say BUT they did tell me that different radiation causes different cancers as the radiation is absorbed in different parts of the body. So for example chenobyl gave off specific radiative elements so they would then know what cancers to look out for in the coming years - this is why the horizon programme could say that the expected rates of cancer have not materialised, just in case anyone was not believing them!

Worried - having 2 CT scans will barely have any effect on your risk of cancer, do you smoke and/or drink, do you use hair dyes or use alot of chemical cleaning products, if you do then these put you at much more risk than your Ct scans. See where I am going here. We all put ourselves at risk of something just living in the modern world.

The problem you have is not with your risk of cancer but with the mental effect of your compulsive obsessive thoughts. Have you talked to your Dr about the state you are in??

We understand, we all get like you are now at times but the state you are in is not good for you. Please speak to a Dr.

Worriedgirl87
21-03-12, 14:41
So do you think that I am over reacting?

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

I've been losing sleep over this and i feel confused .

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

I am really panicking and not knowing what to think about this situation

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

I'm
Sorry I don't wanna be annoying to anyone I am just really scared if I am gonna be ok

RosieXXX
21-03-12, 16:43
Hello worriedgirl,

It is the nature of Health Anxiety to make us feel overly concerned about various issues related to our health, and once we get locked into a worry it is very difficult to shift; I think all health anxiety sufferers can relate to the way you are feeling at the moment. This concern of yours will pass and you will be able to take a step back from it, and begin to put your concerns into perspective. Unfortunately once one issue is 'resolved' or at least put to the back of our minds another often takes over, it is a vicious cycle and extremely difficult to cope with, because our thoughts become irrational, but there are glimses of rationality during these thought processes, and it is really important to try and hold on to these thoughts and build on them. Read through the answers to your posts, and hold on to all the positive information you have been given. It is Extremely unlikely you have suffered any damage from the x-rays you have received - in fact i would say it is more likely you could be injured from crossing the road. Life is full of risks - we never know what is around the next corner and it is an absolute waste of time trying to calculate what may or may not happen. Life is also full of wonderful surprises, and we should try to live each day as it comes allowing ourselves to enjoy all it has to offer.

I do know how difficult it is to let these worries 'go', but you can begin to take control of these negative thoughts by staying away from google, which will only feed your anxiety. I am not sure if you have spoken to your doctor, if not it would be a good idea to explain how you are feeling, and perhaps have counselling, which can be very helpful. x

AnxiousA1
07-05-15, 12:30
I hope any of you are still on this board to help me out, like you I am scared to death from the 2 catscans I have had, I can't eat sleep or do anything. I can't even enjoy my baby daughter :( I keep feeling like I am going to leave her soon all because of an unnecessary stupid tests!!!!!

I had a head and neck ct w/wo contrast for an inflammed parotid gland 4 years ago.

Now, I was suffering from lightheadedness and migraines and I got a Ct Angio of the head and neck which has catastrophic radiation doses. I am so sooooo scared and I cant do anything but thing that I am going to get cancer because of this I am so scared. I am only 33 years old. The worst feeling of all is knowing the damage is done and I cant do anything about it. Please help me I need someone to talk to.

Fishmanpa
07-05-15, 12:53
I've seen this fear many times on the boards. Spouting statistics and facts doesn't relieve the fear even though they more than reassuring.

Here's one real life fact for you. I'm a H&N cancer survivor. I had x-rays, CT scans etc throughout my life. My cancer wasn't caused by that. And guess what they treated me with? Yep... RADIATION. 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Enough that it burned the skin off my neck and burned out my saliva glands and some other wonderful side effects. And every day before treatment, the TOMO machine did a CT scan to line up the radiation to hit the right spots. I had 30 CT scans in 6 weeks! I've been cancer free for two years!

There's no rhyme or reason to who gets cancer. Of course eating right, exercising and not smoking lessen the chances. Hopefully, you'll overcome this irrational fear. There are no documented cases where a CT scan was the cause of someone's cancer.... none.... In fact, it's due to these tests that many lives have been saved!

Positive thoughts

swajj
07-05-15, 13:30
I think we need to be cautious about the amount of radiation we expose ourselves to. I had get trust in my old doctor and when I wanted a scan of my head done because of bad headaches he said that I shouldn't expose myself to radiaton unless it was necessary. When you suffer with HA there is a tendency to want endless scans done for reassurance. There is no point worrying about the scans we have already had done but we should keep radiation in mind before making the decision to have any future scans done unless they are considered absolutely necessary. That's my opinion anyway.

Samilia
29-06-17, 04:41
I was just having this same worry. I have health anxiety and for years i was convinced i had a brain tumor, pulmony embolism in the lungs etc, ive had 3 ct scans on my brain, 4 on my chest!! Plus zillions of xrays all over my body. And my mum died of breast camcer which concerns me more about the chest cts ive had. I was just sitting here begining to panic... so i started to google and came across this...

(Link missing)
Hope it helps ease anyone else who comes across this thread.

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

Just posting to get my piunts up to 10 so i can post the link i tried to put in my previous comment

---------- Post added at 13:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 ----------

According to daily mail :

"Radiation from X-rays and CT scans DOESN'T cause cancer, leading oncologist*declares

Countless scientific studies have debated the issue - does radiation from X-rays and CT scans cause cancer?

At very high doses the evidence is clear, scientists say - the answer is yes.

But one oncologist from Loyola University in Chicago now points to 'serious flaws' in the theory, when considering everyday exposure to radiation during medical scans.

Dr James Welsh said the reliance of past research on unproven statistical models is important.

Although radiation is known to cause cancer at high doses and high-dose rates, no data have ever unequivocally demonstrated the induction [start] of cancer following exposure to low doses and dose rates,' said Dr Welsh, and his co-author Dr Jeffry Siegel.

They argue studies that have identified a link between medical imaging and cancer, typically use a model known as 'linear no-threshold' (LNT).

In LNT, the well-established cancer-causing effects of high doses of radiation are simply extrapolated downward in a straight line to low doses.

The LNT model assumes there is no safe dose of radiation, no matter how small.*

But although LNT is used by regulators around the world, the model is 'of questionable validity, utility and applicability for estimation of cancer risks,' Dr Welsh and Dr Siegel said.*

Contrary to the LNT model, there is compelling evidence that the human body has evolved the ability to repair damage from low-dose radiation.*

For example, the mutation rate caused by low-dose background radiation in the environment is 2.5 million times lower than the rate of spontaneous mutations in the body.*

So even if the LNT model were true, the small increase in mutations caused by low-dose radiation from medical imaging would be unlikely to overwhelm the body's defences

They add studies purporting to find a cancer link to medical imaging radiation have other flaws besides the questionable LNT model.*

For example, Dr Welsh and Dr Siegel highlight, two recent studies suggested possible increased cancer risks from low-radiation doses associated with paediatric CT scans.*

But these cancers are likely due to the medical conditions that prompted the need for a CT scan, rather than the radiation exposure, the pair noted.

While many people focus on the apparent risks of radiation in medical imaging, 'the more significant and actual risks associated with not undergoing an imaging procedure or undergoing a more invasive exploratory surgery are generally being ignored in both the scientific literature and the popular media,' they added.

The views first appeared in the journal Technology in Cancer Research & Treatment."