PDA

View Full Version : Urine results

Savannah
19-03-12, 14:03
My daughter was in hospital over the weekend with a nasty UTI.

The urine has been sent off to the lab for analysis, but the dip stick test showed Protein +++, White blood cells, blood in urine, nitrates, amongst others.

The doctors and nurses said it was a nasty result, and no wonder she had been so unwell and in pain.

Would a urine sample be able to tell them if it is a kidney infection?

She is on antibiotics.

We were able to bring her home as she really didn't want to stay in, and we have to wait a few days for the urine to culture so they were happy for her to come home.

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

Even more confused now. Sister from the ward rung, said my daughters urine from Saturday at A&E, the lab cultured it and nothing had grown. Still waiting for the one they sent yesterday from the ward. So I asked her why they'd dip sticked her urine 3 times over the weekend, it had protein +++, nitrates, blood, white cells, ketones.... I was told she had a nasty UTI and she was prescribed Trimethoprim. She couldn't tell me why the dip stick was so abnormal on 3 occasions yet lab cultured it and nothing grew. Anyone any ideas?? I'm confused.

My daughter has been so unwell, she's improving now on the antibiotic but abdomen still very painful. All the sister suggested was I bring her back to the ward for further tests if she's still unwell:/

and_y
19-03-12, 18:29
Dont quote me on this but i think a urine test would show a kidney infection but did she have any blood taken ? as i believe that is the normal way the test kidneys

pearl79
19-03-12, 18:55
I think a dipstick test will show any white cells caused by infection anywhere in her urinary track. so would a lab urine test. but i think bloods would be better at pin pointing where there is an infection, as you cannot diagnose from urine results unless a growth of bactiria is found at the lab x

Pearl x

Savannah
20-03-12, 05:49
Thank you both.

APparently no growth but in her urine she did have blood and white cells, same as the dip stick tests.