PDA

View Full Version : Stressed at work

wee_debs2003
19-03-12, 11:23
Hi everyone. I'm 29 and normally seen as bubbly and chatty and happy but for the last 4 months it's been an act. Broke down at work 6 weeks ago (my job is very stressful at times) and got loads of help from occupational health / therapist. Seemed to turn a corner but suddenly even the littlest task was too much for me. Feel like a wooden board that's been stamped on till it broke,so now even the pressure is off I'm still broken. Been prescribed fluoxetine and just had a bad panic attack (been on it a week). I love my job and I want to get better but I feel so ungrateful after all the effort that was made and I'm still messed up. Is this normal?? Thanks to everyone who reads xx

nomorepanic
19-03-12, 11:24
Hi wee_debs2003

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

pinkdove
19-03-12, 11:30
:welcome: debs, yes it is completely normal could have written that post myself a couple of years ago.

my advice would be to have a couple of weeks off, till the meds settle down, let your body recover a bit with complete rest, i left my job because things got so bad, and i really miss it now, wish i had just taken some time off.

whatever you decide good luck xx

wee_debs2003
19-03-12, 18:08
Hi Pinkdove,thanks very much for your response. I'm sorry to hear you had to leave your job. I can totally understand why you took that step, its been at the back of my mind for a few months. I've been signed off for 2 weeks and don't have a return date so I really hope the meds will have started to work ben. Been advised to stay active so I've done a fair bit of cycling and walking. Just miss everyone and feel like I've let down the people who made an effort to take the pressure off me.
Thanks again for replying to me,don't feel quite so alone now :-) really hope that you can find a job that you enjoyed as much as your old one xx

pinkdove
19-03-12, 18:11
hey deb's just take the time off to relax and do your cycling and walking, you are not letting anyone down, you are ill and need time to recover, and i'm sure your employers know that,

worrying about that will only add to your problems, so chill and take the time you need.

yes i will start to look for a job soon, part time this time, need to get some normality back. take care xx

Chris52
19-03-12, 18:17
Hi there from a fellow newby.My hubby thinks I am a bit mad going on these forums BUT I do find it works. Just to know you are not alone and in among friends really helps. Havnt had any help from occupational health yet but I think I will ask. Got a brilliant doctor as well which really helps. Dont feel like a failure. You are a lot stronger than you think.

Chris X

Pipkin
19-03-12, 18:32
Hi Debs and a big, warm :welcome:

I know you'll find lots of people here who share your experiences and that you'll also be able to give a lot to others.

Take care and keep posting

Pip xx

wee_debs2003
20-03-12, 13:00
Thanks to everyone for your lovely messages :D It's a relief being able to talk about it and not have to hear the usual 'pull yourself together' comments. Looking forward to getting better and hopefully making some new friends along the way.
Chrus, I have to say that going to occupational health is the best thing you can do. Even if all they can do is give you a place to get away from everything for 30mins it gets you on their radar so they can make sure you are ok. Hope things work out for you xx

xvolatileheart
25-03-12, 21:57
I know exactly how you feel. Quite sure my job is the reason I've started having panic attacks in the past couple of months. I am so scared of disappointing my team that I haven't taken any time off work or gone to occupational health, but I've been debating having a word with them. I don't want to leave my job or look inept, so it's a very tough decision.

Hope you've been feeling better.

wee_debs2003
17-05-12, 22:54
Thought I would post an update on the situation and let people know how it all went...went back to work after 7 weeks off. On reduced hours at the mo and my role has been changed slightly. My return to work was agreed under a number of strict conditions like me not attending meetings with management present, that the issue of me reporting to two managers would not reoccur.
2nd day back I was told to attend a meeting that had 2 members of management team. A comment was made and this (along with being badgered about overdue timesheets) triggered a huge panic attack. That's reinforced the message about not attending meetings with managers thankfully!! However the dual reporting structure hasn't changed and I felt completly backed into a corner this week when I was told I could go back to my old job role and it was presented to me like a favour. Cue another panic attack. So bit of an uphill battle at the moment but on the plus side the Fluoxetine has really done the job on my depression,it's just the anxiety that needs to go now...