PDA

View Full Version : Still not working

alfredo1
19-03-12, 13:05
Just wanted to say that I had a really great weekend. Felt normal and back to the old me.

Then bang, last night i woke up at 3.30am could not get back to sleep for ages. I've got negative thoughts and racing mind. Nervous belly etc etc.

Im on 125mg. Been taking that dose for 6 days.

Its really strange how everytime I've upped, its been great for 2 days, then i just slip back into a downward spiral.

It so frustrating. Has anyone else had this too?

I did 2 weeks at 50mg, 3 weeks at 100mg and now on day 5 of 125mg. So this is my 6th week. I'm getting rather impatient..............!!!!!

vetran32
19-03-12, 13:16
never felt better since i stopped them maybe there not for you mate you could go back to the doctor and talk to him :D

nicola1980
19-03-12, 13:20
I agree maybe their not right for you, after 6 weeks you should have seen some definate improvement?? might be worth going to see your gp xx

alfredo1
19-03-12, 13:48
Its really difficult as some people say it look about 6 weeks for it to kick in. I think i may give it another week at this dose and then decide. I'd like to give fluoxitine a go but really scared about the anxiety on them.

Vetran , what do you take now?

Thanks Nicola for you post.

Kel x

Stormsky
19-03-12, 14:20
ever considered they just dont work.........
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-518669/Anti-depressants-taken-thousands-Brits-NOT-work-major-new-study-reveals.html

haz
19-03-12, 23:16
Sertraline took a good 12 weeks to really kick in for me.

Haz. :)

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

ever considered they just dont work.........
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-518669/Anti-depressants-taken-thousands-Brits-NOT-work-major-new-study-reveals.html

You've posted this article before, which is 5 years old incidentally. As I said before "those who were severly depressed fared better on medication".

Exercise is great but some of us need meds. :)

Stormsky
19-03-12, 23:22
[QUOTE=

You've posted this article before, which is 5 years old incidentally. As I said before "those who were severly depressed fared better on medication".

Exercise is great but some of us need meds. :)[/QUOTE]

Doesnt matter how old the article is... its still relevant.... and ive never suggested ever to anyone that they shouldnt take meds.... ive infact said that i appreciate to some they are life savers.... the article actually says severly depressed people get some benefit from meds.....

haz
20-03-12, 13:55
the article actually says severly depressed people get some benefit from meds.....[/QUOTE]

I know! I quoted the above from the article. (twice now)

alfredo1
20-03-12, 18:01
well citalopram got me out of a dark hole so i think that article is rubbish. Not all meds work for all people. sometimes it is a case of having to chop and change. Its like finding a partner - you have to try a few out to get the one in the end!!!!!

alfredo1
21-03-12, 09:43
Haz what dose are you on with Sertraline?

haz
21-03-12, 16:34
Alfredo, I'm on 50mg. Been on that for over a year now, started on 25mg for a couple of weeks. I tend to only need low doses of ad's, even the tricyclic ones as I'm quite sensitive to meds.

Haz. :)

cathycrumble
21-03-12, 18:20
Haz hope this is not too personal but has the sert effected your labido?

I know it says it does but I wandered it it comes back if you have been on it a while and feeling better in your self?

Cathy xx

haz
21-03-12, 21:44
Yes, but it came back! :yesyes:

There is at least one other thread about SSRI's and lack of libido on here Cathy.

Haz. x

cathycrumble
21-03-12, 21:49
Well that's good news lol
:winks:
And will check that thread out.

I had a nervey day today but not too bad tonight. just a few iffy times not that bad.

Just got to go with the flow.

Hope you ok?

Cathy xx

TillySm
21-03-12, 21:49
Hey Alfredo,

It sounds to me like it is time to try a new one. 6 weeks of ups and downs is not worth it. Have you tried fluoxitine or luvox?

What other things have you noticed on Zoloft? Yawning all day, teeth grinding and excess sweating per chance?

cathycrumble
21-03-12, 22:58
Its really difficult as some people say it look about 6 weeks for it to kick in. I think i may give it another week at this dose and then decide. I'd like to give fluoxitine a go but really scared about the anxiety on them.

Vetran , what do you take now?

Thanks Nicola for you post.

Kel x

Alfedo1 this thread may help you it has helped me.

Hi Cathy - My side effects were not nice but nowhere as bad as when I was on Flueoxine.

I felt nervous (normal for me anyway) dizzy, tired and slightly empty like I was watching life rather than living life. My tummy was bad with lots of trips to the toilet, I felt sick. There were days where I felt like giving up... 4 weeks into it I went back to the doctors to get the dose increased to 100mg because I felt it wasn't working. She said give it time... week 8 my anxiety was returning and I thought it was never going to work. Week 10 it kicked in :smile: so glad I stuck with it.

I question to ask you... do you have thoughts of harming yourself? That is when the meds should be changed/stopped. If not the rest is side effects, not easy to deal with infact sometimes they are worse than the anxiety in the first few weeks.

Sitting on the sofa doing nothing is good, do it and let the meds start to work for you. I sat and didn't move for weeks too (and was tearful) the only thing I had to do was the school runs and that was bad enough. Be strong, be brave and be determined that your life is going to change keep going because going backwards is not an option!

Keep reading..reading makes you informed and stronger...read positive posts only, read all the success stories from the beginning...DO NOT read the negative ones until you are better.

This was a pm to me to help me when I first started the sert I hope it helps you.

And DON'T listen to scarmongers just go with what you feel.

Good luck you will have ups and downs.

Cathy xx:yesyes:

alfredo1
22-03-12, 12:03
hank you so much for this Cathy. This is encouraging. I guess I’m being impatient as I forget how long it can take. When I went on citalopram for the first time, it worked quicker than this.

Today, I’m actually having a really good day touch wood! I work up really anxious but tried to fight the thoughts. Starting to feel much brighter. I also think the weather
helps.

I’m finding the ‘up and downs’ frustrating on sertraline but I’m keeping a positive mind that it will work in the end.

How are you doing today?

x

Mo B
22-03-12, 14:02
Hi Alfredo

Just thought Id chip in here too. Im on week 5 of sertraline 50mg and have up and down times as well. I hate the mornings as its a struggle to pull myself out of the mire sometimes but I do now feel less anxiety during the day and in the evening especially. My depression comes and goes now too. Im going to keep on with it as I have heard that it takes longer than a lot of the other SSRI's to work and is a bit more gentle. I had a good result too on citalopram a few years ago but couldnt face the side effects this time!! They were bad, but it did seemed to kick in quicker. I go on hols abroad next week and to tell the truth Im really anxious about it. I think it will either kill or cure me! lol not happy about flying at the best of times! but I developed a delicate condition recently that makes sitting for a long time agony. Anxiety makes it worse as well. wish it was months away now instead of next week.but as its our Ruby Wedding celebration and our son and family are coming too I can't cancel. Ive thought about it but would feel 10 times worse if I did. Cant believe Im not looking forward to this holiday. Planned it for ages. l Just want to be back to my old self asap . Sorry for moaning on. Ill try and get my positive face on now x:)

cathycrumble
22-03-12, 14:14
Dont be silly Mo moan away. I am like you I hate flying scares me lol. I am sure it will do you good having this holiday.

I am not too good today woke up with the fear in my tummy and cant shift it got my nevative thougts doing my head in. hope I go better as the day goes on.

Glad you having a better day today Alfedo :yesyes:

Cathy xx

alfredo1
22-03-12, 17:14
Yes the mornings are definitely worst. In the past week, I’ve probably had more up days than down, so I’m hoping that it’s now kicked in and started working.

Today, I’m feel especially good. Very positive, happy and no anxiety. Although, I work up very anxious and stayed that way until about 10am. I think sertraline is definitely slower than citalopram. This worked very quickly for me when I started it about 9 years ago. It stopped working for me last year. I messed about with it though. Lowered my dosage, then upped it, then lowered so I think it became ineffective .

You might feel better next week by the time you have to go away.

I went to Goa last month. I had started 50mg sert just a week previously. I remember sitting on my sofa hours before I was due to fly crying my eyes out and feeling rather zombiefied and panicked etc.

Once I got there, I was fine. Probably the best place to be when first starting on meds – laying in the sun! The sun will do you the world of good. It will be great for your mood (assuming that you’re going to a sunny destination)

Sometimes you feel like you’re going mad but when you get through the first 8 weeks and the meds start working, you’ll be relived you stuck with them .

Stick with them.

Mo B
22-03-12, 19:22
Thanks for your words of support Cathy & Alfredo1 It's much appreciated. Mood has gone a bit better now thank goodness. Going away for 2nts tomorrow for hubbys 60th with all the family. Will be a good test for next week. Must try to be cheerful in morning and not my usual anxiety ridden self!! lol:)

Hope everyone has a good weekend and the sun shines. x