PDA

View Full Version : train travel

raquel
19-03-12, 15:12
I have a phobia of travelling by train, which has got worse and worse over the past 10 years, and nowadays even going near a railway station makes me start to feel anxious. I used to be able to travel anywhere by train, but then about 10 years ago, I suffered a major panic attack on a train, (I cannot remember what, if anything triggered it) and then I started to suffer panic attacks on subsequent rail journeys. The only trains I could travel on without panicking were the ones that stopped every few minutes calling at every station on the line. However, after a while I started getting panic attacks on those as well, so I now avoid travelling by train, and I travel to work by bus instead. I have had CBT and hypnosis (referred by GP), but neither worked on me, and I relapsed into getting panic attacks.

However, in 2 weeks time, I have my graduation ceremony which is to be held in London. My family: mother, brother and sister-in-law and sister and her partner, will be attending, and I am absolutely dreading travelling there and back by train, as driving there would not be feasible, so the only way to get to this venue is by overground and underground rail. None of my family are at all understanding or sympathetic about my panic attacks, they all tend to make belittling remarks about my "being silly or pathetic", "attention-seeking", or tell me "to pull myself together" or "snap out of it". I did try to discuss the issue of travel to London with my mother, and how I am dreading going on trains, and she just said: "for goodness sake, it is only a 20 minute train journey into London! If you've only got that to worry about in your life then you're lucky!"

I really feel like throwing a "sickie" on the day, and not going at all, although I would feel bad and selfish about doing so, as my brother is specially taking time off work to attend. What should be one of the happiest days of my life is being ruined by my phobia, and I can see no way out of it, unless I go up before my family on the bus/coach and then slip away from my family at the event, and just catch the bus/coach home to avoid travelling on the train.

Suggestions or help greatly appreciated.

Stormsky
19-03-12, 16:06
Will you have to travel alone on the train? as if you will be with family, then you should be ok... if its only a short train ride ....
Youll regret it if you dont go....nothing bad is going to happen.....
I can relate, i suffered panic attacks on any public transport, but had to get a train for work alone once, and it wasnt pleasant,but i was suprised that i was ok actually!
You cant live in fear , dont let anx ruin the things you want to do...youll be upset with yourself if you dont go, and think how happy an achievement if you do!
also the longer you put off travelling on a train, youll end up NEVER getting back on one...nip it in the bud now!

Rach29
19-03-12, 16:11
Hi i used to hate travelling by bus and train when my panic attacks were at there worst now i make sure i have things with me to distract myself i make sure i have mints or something a drink i play games on my phone a magazine to read that usually helps :)

frenchbean
23-03-12, 12:57
I am also very afraid of train travel and can empathise. :hugs:Like a previous poster said, if you are with your family, would it feel less frightening? I am much worse if I am on my own or with people who are not 'safe' if you kwim - friends or colleagues who don't know how scared I am on the train.

I hope you manage to attend the graduation. You may feel terrible and have awful feelings but they are only that - feelings. GOOD LUCK and congrats on your graduation!

raquel
26-03-12, 10:06
Many thanks to you all for your replies, and for your congrats.

Over the weekend I did have a go at travelling on a train - a stopping train - and I managed most of the journey before i had to get off as I felt panicky.

I would so love to be able to just jump on a train and go anywhere and visit friends and family who live in other parts of the country.

blondie2809
27-03-12, 16:19
well done on giving it a go!!

I haven't had a panic attack in about 1.5 yrs now...but have had a few on the train to work this month. Pushed everyone out the way this morning and cried on the platform :(

Almost had it as I approached the bus too, think its the feeling of being trapped in something with too many people and I can't just get out.

But I tried to remember my CBT training that I've had for panic attacks and started chanting to myself " your just a silly panic attack, your just a silly panic attack"

Maybe give the CBT another go.

B xx