PDA

View Full Version : Panic Driver

Cathy Daniels
19-03-12, 16:08
Hi I'm Cathy - haven't driven properly for about 7 years. Its got to the stage where I avoid situations, go round things in my head, worry all night about the next day. I don't want to get into a situation where I won't even get in the car. Only drive locally but after reading Nicola's post - it felt like me, in a round about way! I worry about not being able to pull over or stop, so drive quickly to get from a to b. Had panic attack out of nowhere on motorway 7 years ago - haven't driven properly since, only locally and now even that is starting to be affected. I have become tearful and I am cross with myself. Went to the doctors last week and was told they didn't know how to help me and to come back to see them today - I think its because I was so emotional when I spoke! I don't feel depressed, my driving is a real problem though, and I do amplify it to the point where I feel ill, worry about it, tell myself I can't do it, hot and cold sweats, panic, fear etc. I really want to do something about it. Didn't go back to the doctors today, decided to sort it out myself. I have joined a gym - but won't drive there now - I did a few weeks ago - how silly! I want to start eating better, going to the gym and doing regular exercise, breathing, taking things in my stride, stopping being irrational - I know I am like that, particularly with the kids because I am cross at myself and I am being moody with them because I am worrying about driving to pick them up from clubs or drop their friends home. It is a real problem for me and I really need to sort it out. Completely letting it control and ruin my life and I've had enough - its so draining!! Any help or advice that anyone might have would be great. Just writing all this down feels good and knowing that others out there have fear and panic just like me! Cathy x

diane07
19-03-12, 16:09
Hi Cathy Daniels

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

haz
19-03-12, 16:28
Hi I'm Cathy - haven't driven properly for about 7 years. Its got to the stage where I avoid situations, go round things in my head, worry all night about the next day. I don't want to get into a situation where I won't even get in the car. Only drive locally but after reading Nicola's post - it felt like me, in a round about way! I worry about not being able to pull over or stop, so drive quickly to get from a to b. Had panic attack out of nowhere on motorway 7 years ago - haven't driven properly since, only locally and now even that is starting to be affected. I have become tearful and I am cross with myself. Went to the doctors last week and was told they didn't know how to help me and to come back to see them today - I think its because I was so emotional when I spoke! I don't feel depressed, my driving is a real problem though, and I do amplify it to the point where I feel ill, worry about it, tell myself I can't do it, hot and cold sweats, panic, fear etc. I really want to do something about it. Didn't go back to the doctors today, decided to sort it out myself. I have joined a gym - but won't drive there now - I did a few weeks ago - how silly! I want to start eating better, going to the gym and doing regular exercise, breathing, taking things in my stride, stopping being irrational - I know I am like that, particularly with the kids because I am cross at myself and I am being moody with them because I am worrying about driving to pick them up from clubs or drop their friends home. It is a real problem for me and I really need to sort it out. Completely letting it control and ruin my life and I've had enough - its so draining!! Any help or advice that anyone might have would be great. Just writing all this down feels good and knowing that others out there have fear and panic just like me! Cathy x

Maybe you should go back to the doctor, they might be able to refer you to a psychologist to help you.

I sympathise with you, I can't travel more than half and hour from my home by any means of travel at the moment but I'm working on it.

Best Wishes.

Haz. :)

Pipkin
19-03-12, 18:39
Hi Cathy and a big, warm :welcome:

I know you'll find lots of people here who share your experiences - your type of anxiety is quite often talked about on here. You're definitely not alone.

Take care and keep posting

Pip xx

Cathy Daniels
19-03-12, 20:45
Thanks!