PDA

View Full Version : Worried about lung cancer

sahara
19-03-12, 20:27
I feel silly posting this but I am worried I am going to get lung cancer, my Mum and her uncle both died from it and were and smokers all their lives. My Mum wasn't a heavy smoker but she still got it and died. I am 34, started smoking at 19 and gave up at 31 and I am terrified I have a gene in our family that means I will get it at somepoint. I know I shouldn't worry about what hasn't happened but I think and worry everyday. How quickly since giving up does my risk reduce. Don't want to google cos you know why! xxx

Ingenious
19-03-12, 22:07
I'm sure I read that risk reduces substantially very quickly. That's a very positive step in stopping three years ago - you're right though in saying you shouldn't worry about what hasn't happened. The longer you remain a non-smoker the more your chance of illness reduces to the levels of people who have never smoked.

Stormsky
19-03-12, 22:24
http://www.tobaccofreemaine.org/quit_tobacco/index.php

sahara
19-03-12, 22:38
thank you, I love the fact I have quit, I almost feel lighter for it iygwim. I will never, ever smoke again :D

Beyonderz
19-03-12, 22:55
I'm glad you quit smoking and it was a good decision. When my dad quit smoking long time ago, his doctor told him that his lungs are going to return back to their health less that a couple of months. So no worries about it.
Hope you feel better soon