PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs up for EMDR

Kate21
20-03-12, 08:30
Hi all, I'll start by saying EMDR helped me a lot in the past so I would recommend it anyway.
This time however I started EMDR a few weeks ago, luckily I have the same therapist as last time so she knew my background. Yesterday I had my 2nd session which was very distressing but memories came out from when I was a little girl and events that I would not have linked with my illness did too.
It feels like I can finally pinpoint the moment or time when my illness started (I've been trying to pinpoint this since I was 15, I am now 22).
She told me there is still a lot of work to do but even so I feel like this weight has been lifted after 7 years.

I know therapies work different for other people but I thought I would share this on here as there doesn't seem to much about EMDR x

paula lynne
20-03-12, 09:42
I dont know about EMDR, but whatever it is, Im glad its helping you! :) Is it some sort of regression councelling? Would you be able to explain how what it is and how its helping you?
Hope you continue to feel so positive about recovery, well done x

littleredhen
20-03-12, 10:19
one of my therapists recommended this - said it really helped him previously. However, I've found it quite difficult to find a practioner that I like/trust and I think it's quite expensive. Also, I'm very anxious about the process! :doh:

Kate21
20-03-12, 19:47
Littleredhen I think EMDR is only recently being used more (My mum has done it for a long time that is how I ended up getting it, one of her colleagues does it too). It is available on the NHS but the waiting lists are huge. I know prices vary from £50-80 or thereabouts but I've been told the process is quicker than some other therapies so you have less sessions.

I guess it depends on the problems though, I had it for PTSD when I was younger which was very effective. It's good for when there are specific memories or images for you to work with as you imagine the scenario whilst the therapist taps each of your hands or you can use eye movements this then starts to process the memory. As this happens though it can lead to other memories which can then also be processed. It's really strange though as it's like re-living the memory which can be very intense and upsetting especially as the memories might be things you've been blocking out. but once it's done the memories shouldn't affect you in the bad way they did.

I still don't fully understand how it works it's pretty weird but after yesterday I would swear by it for not only getting rid of trauma but getting into memories that are not quite clear or things that were a long time ago that could relate to how the anxiety etc. began.

I hope this link works for you both as it will explain a lot better than I can! :-) x
http://www.emdrassociation.org.uk/home/index.htm