PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!! Scared of taking diazapam. Does it work?

lorr
20-03-12, 17:35
Hi there I would really appreciate some help here if possible?

I suffer with panic disorder/agoraphobia and have been unable to travel outside of my home town for about four years now. :-(

Recently I have become familiar driving about 5 miles to another town which at first was really hard and after about six times of going is definatley getting easier and easier each time :-)

Now the problem I'm having is I have to travel 30 miles to go to hospital this Thursday and quite honestly have been a nervous wreck just thinking about it for the last two weeks :-/

My doctor has prescribed me 2mg tablets of diazapam. One to take the night before and one or two at the most an hour before setting off on the day.

I also have a terrible phobia of taking any form of tablets even paracetamol!! And I'm worried that if they don't do much for me and I'm gonna probaly panic after swallowing! That if they don't do much for me and I panic then I'm going to start thinking its the pills doing it to me and be a real mess.

Can anyone help me on this? Someone out there that may be at all familiar with feeling the way I am right now?

I'm really desperate and would be a godsend to have some input from u guys on here :-)

LAURA48
20-03-12, 17:40
Hi - 2mg is not a very high dose at all - you will be fine - just make you slightly relaxed - do not be afraid to take them.

Carys
20-03-12, 18:20
I also have a terrible phobia of taking any form of tablets even paracetamol!!

Snap ! Though I recently got over this phobia with paracetamol after a terrible wisdom tooth infection. (took me 12 years to get to that point though).

Could you try the diazepam tomorrow, so that you get the panic over with a day early, then as you've taken it once you will probably be ok ?

Just one thing, you aren't driving yourself on THursday are you ???:scared15:

bignik
20-03-12, 18:33
2 mg is small , it will be a soothing calming effect if youve never used before , dont be afraid , its been prescribed and sometimes you need that little bit of help. Once youve took one and see the benfits though dont fall into the trap of relying on them too much as they can be addictive .. look at it as a little stepping stone helping you on your way

lorr
20-03-12, 18:47
Thanks for the replys, so reassuring :-)

Hehe no I'm not driving and I'm thinking of trying half tomorrow just to see how they make me feel? Think I'm just really scared they are going to make me panic worse? And I hate blurry vision and this of course is listed as a side effect!! :-/

I think this forum is brill and a lovely way to meet fellow anxiety sufferers as I truly feel so alone with it at times
X

dan1234
20-03-12, 19:25
You will be fine. 2mg is a small enough dose, but should be effective for someone who hasn't taken it before.

Donny
25-03-12, 19:46
Hi There.

The 2 mg tablets of Diazepam are a very small dose and they will have a great calming effect on you.

I just recently started taking them as I had to go back on Cipralex. Which caused a massive increase in anxiety (which is normal.) I had never took them before and was very paranoid.

They are great at calming you down. Don't restrict your life. Use what the doctor gives you.

Kind thoughts

Donny

Kellybobz
25-03-12, 19:52
I used to have a fear of taking tablets and still do to some extent. However im not scared to take diazepam there very calming. 2mg is a small dose and you wont feel out of control or sedated. you might not even notice but they take around 20-30 mins to kick in. x

eight days a week
25-03-12, 20:16
They will work.

You can put them under your tongue and let them dissolve if you have a fear of swallowing tablets. They also work faster that way.

Rachel1979
06-04-12, 04:59
I am scared of taking tablets too. I have been prescribed 0.25mg of xanax which I know is such a small dose but even those I split into quarters. If I'm feeling mentally strong, I'll talk myself into taking more but sometimes even a quarter brings on the worst panic attack. I wonder if it's actually my mind doing that or the effects of the drugs though. I really would like to get to a point where I'm comfortable taking them because I know they can help a lot/

little wren
06-04-12, 08:53
I suffer with panic disorder/agoraphobia and have been unable to travel outside of my home town for about four years now. :-(

Someone out there that may be at all familiar with feeling the way I am right now?

:-)

Hi lor,

I feel the same way about taking meds (I will only take liquid forms). Diazepam (I have it on an 'as and when needed' basis but have never taken any). I too have agoraphobia (started about 5 years ago) and doing exposure therapy - travelling in the car and walking. I keep the diazepam with me now (just in case - so I know I can always get home). Sorry cannot help with advice but just wanted to let you know I feel for you. I hope it all went well for you...did the diazepam calm you?

little wren x

Mick081081
06-04-12, 13:45
Hi there,

I'm not a fan of tablets either but i had some diazepam prescribed a few weeks ago. I was taking 3 X 2mg a day for 2 weeks and they really helped me out at the time. They calmed me down and took the edge off the panic and anxiety i was suffering. Really helpful drug over the short term. I didn't get addicted to them as only had a small dose over a short period of time so I'm gonna say take them as they were a god send for me when I had them.

Good luck,

Mick.

:D

kittikat
06-04-12, 14:38
Hi Lorr...totally relate to your post also sufferer of anx/panic/agoraphobia and have issues with meds. Having said that diazepam is the best thing I have ever taken and will just slightly relax you probably without you even realising!! I can only manage about 2 miles max in the car alone atm, so 30 miles seems really daunting to me and I can so understand your fears. Are you going alone?? I find I can get much further if I have a trusted friend or family member with me. I recently managed 15 miles with my daughter accompanying me and I was sooo pleased with myself also my anxiety was reduced just by having her there. I am actually on 12mg diaz a day atm, and still find it hard to get out sometimes. But I would say the diaz will definitely help you.

Remember to take some water, sweets or a little snack, and of course your phone. You CAN do it, and you will be so proud of yourself when you have!!

Wish you lots of luck and let us know how you get on.
Kitti :)