PDA

View Full Version : Propananol & Job Interview?

_shel
20-03-12, 20:54
Will it work on calming me down?

I've always ad the worst fear of job interviews, always fail miserably because I panic, sweat, heartbeat, shaking the lot. So much so that the panel are asking me if I am ok, do I need water looking seriously worried about me. And of course all the panic makes me forget everything I know and I talk such rubbish one would wonder how I got an interview!

Anyway. I was meant to go the other day and chickened but it seems I can still be interviewed. I saw my doc and was given propananol, 10 x 10mg and was told to take one.

AM I to expect miracles or not?

LittleMissSleepy
20-03-12, 21:31
hello Shel

It really does help with the shakes/shaking hands and it does calm the heart rate, so you should feel calmer about those issues even at those low doses.

all the best.

bignik
20-03-12, 21:34
should help with the sweat also , I used to suffer badly from sweaty palms prior to taking beta blockers

_shel
20-03-12, 21:38
:) Thank you, I am feeling a little better about it already. I think having a second chance at the interview and the doc being so willing to help helped. It cant help me know stuff I don't but so long as I don't look and feel like a quivering idiot I might be ok.

Darrenb74
20-03-12, 22:00
Hello shel. Something i have noticed is when i have gone on a job interview i have noticed that when i'm not bothered if i get the job or not. I always do well and normally get the job but when i really want the job i get like has you have mentioned. So what i'm trying to say is if you can go with the attitude they need me more than i need them, then normally my anxiety level is much lower. Maybe try getting in that mind set and i'm sure you'll feel and do a lot better in your next interview.

Darren :)

Megan73
20-03-12, 22:00
Hi

I saw this thread and just had to put a word in.

Last year I had to be interviewed for my job, I can't tell you how much I feared this. I would have panic attacks just thinking about it, even though I didn't know it was a definite back then. I also use to just cry and cry at the thought of how I would get through the process. It was horrendous time :weep:

My advice is I did get through it and I did get the job. I won't lie it wasn't the best interview in the world. I spoke too fast and forgot loads but I did it.

How did I do it, I really couldn't say but for the month leading up to it I religiously listened to a self hypnosis cd called "Get the Job" by Racheal Eccles. I don't know if that was the reason I got through it, all I know is I was a lot calmer as the day approached and did it.

I also practised answers to questions repeatly, I just got a book like top 50 interview questions and said my answers out loud, don't just say it in your mind actually vocalise it.

I don't like to have regrets but I wish now I had gone for other jobs in the past as I would have advanced a lot earlier in my career but that fear always held me back until I had to do it.

You can do it, if I can anyone can as I'm not good at pushing myself when the anxiety kicks in. Also propananol will help with the symptoms. I get terrible nausea when anxious so propananol isn't much hep.

I really hope you go through with it and the best of luck :D

Megan

_shel
21-03-12, 19:57
Thank you all so much, you've given me a boost. Darren, I like your advice because I've been told they are badly understaffed and desperate for someone to start asap so I think maybe they need me more than I want them :)

I've also just ordered the CD from Amazon. I used to do guided hypnosis with a yoga tutor it was great. She stopped doing it and I haven't found anyone else or any good CD's since.

I know what you mean about speaking too fast. I garble out what I have to say and they are looking at me waiting for me to say more and my mind is blank. I was told by an old boss that interviews were meant to last for 40+ mins. Mine was done in 20!

I've been writing lots of answers, it's difficult because of the type of questions I'll get asked but I can but try. Fingers crossed x