PDA

View Full Version : Self Help For Your Nerves - Dr Claire Weekes

MardyBum
21-03-12, 11:20
Ive just ordered this off amazon...

Has anyone read it, did it help? its came this morning and im reading and agreeing with so much already... I keep marking bits in the book I want to share on here as they are so true!

I will try and add some bits to this thread if thats ok?

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 ----------

* symptoms can be intensified only by further fear and its resulting tension, never by relaxing, facing and accepting*

I think this is the fundamental key we all need to remember and always forget. Accepting our fears, running with them to a degree and seeing what happens is generally something im feared to do... ie staying out when in fight or flight mode is the hardest task in the world

nicola1980
21-03-12, 11:58
Hi hun ive got 2 of her books and there fantastic, i can relate so much to what she says! How are you getting on bak on the mirt? Ive just been switched from it to venlafaxine x x

MardyBum
21-03-12, 12:04
Did you find they helped? I didnt know there were two!! lol :yesyes:

being back on the mirt has been the best thing I have done... im still not taking a full tablet and halving my 45mg tablet and generally alot better. Sometimes late evening or just before bed ive been feeling abit anx but im thinking im shattered by that time so I can deal with it.... All in all alot better due to call dr back about what to do next sometime next week!

How you finding the change?

Hi hun ive got 2 of her books and there fantastic, i can relate so much to what she says! How are you getting on bak on the mirt? Ive just been switched from it to venlafaxine x x

cathycrumble
21-03-12, 12:26
I've got her 3 books 2 of them I got 30 years ago when I had a bout of PND and I can only say she got me over it without any medication.

I still use her advise which helps me so much but somtimes it can be hard when in a panic with our thoughts but I feel I do need the medication now.

I was quite bad though all those years ago but I did get over it.

It is so easy to read aswell.

good luck with it.

Cathy xx

teez
21-03-12, 12:34
i have help with your nerves ,,more help ,,and the agoraphobia one all three are brilliant and find them really helpful especially when im in a panic

Stormsky
21-03-12, 12:35
Ive got her audio tapes. had them over 10yrs, very good..

MardyBum
21-03-12, 12:45
nice to see people find them good... this is very easy to read and has noted afew bits i remember from my last lot of CBT years ago!

Jamesk
21-03-12, 12:59
Ive got her audio tapes. had them over 10yrs, very good..

Yup I have the first book on audio book on my ipod - I find it a great help if only for reassurance that what I am experiencing is really panic.

paula lynne
21-03-12, 13:40
Ive had self help for your nerves for years.....I still dip into now and again. Like you, Ive underlined all the points that mean something to me. Some of it, (like ECT, electro-convulsive therapy) is very outdated, but in the main, its an excellent book that has stood the test of time. :)

LAURA48
21-03-12, 13:43
Dr Claire Weekes is the best in this field - pity there are not others who are as good as this great lady.

She understands all aspects of nervous illness - brilliant - GPs should read her books!

Mo B
21-03-12, 14:58
I too am a devotee of Claire Weekes. During this period of anxiety and depression im going through at the moment her books have been in and out of my bookcase like a fiddlers elbow! LOL I know lots of people who have benefitted from her books. I call it my bible. My mum introduced me to them years ago as she had problems too. I have the book Self Help For Your Nerves open now at page 148 entitled "do's & donts" and read this when I find myself faltering !

I wish I has a £1 for every time Ive said FACE,FLOAT & ACCEPT. LET TIME PASS to myself lol:)

LAURA48
21-03-12, 15:44
Me too Mo! Get off that bed in the daytime - and that's where I've just been - lol!

AngelHeart
22-03-12, 13:59
Just ordered a copy myself :) Looking forward to it coming as I've heard so many great reviews on it xx

miniminx
23-03-12, 15:12
i Recently ordered claire weeks "Pass Through Panic" its arrived but its 2 cds!! does anyone have the book version to swap for these cds? they havent been opened. i much rather have the book.. i obviously didnt read the info when ordering it!:D

Libby
24-03-12, 20:44
Self Help For Your Nerves - I love this book :)

I do a lot of "floating", "accepting" and "letting time pass" - and it works!!!!

MardyBum
25-03-12, 02:11
im mastering the art of "floating" but have during a moment of panic actually said out loud "bring it on" as she advised and it did help! x

LittleMissSleepy
25-03-12, 17:45
Hello, I've just finished reading this book, which has been really useful. But do you have any tips on how to "float" ? she didn't go into much detail about it.

jannyk
27-03-12, 18:19
Hi all - just picked up on this thread. Fantastic book - was recommended to me about 25#+yrs ago when i had 'nervous breakdown' - it has been a constant source of comfort since then. Whenever i've had bad time i re-read it and remind myself what to do! Have never been as bad since. Just had first CBT session today - Claire Weekes has helped me to control symptoms but i have now decided that i want to try and 'stop' the anxiety starting. Might not work but after all these years have decided to give it a try. Good luck to you all - you're not alone.:hugs:

soulboydk
31-03-12, 06:54
Yes I have about three of them, there are more I believe. I find them great and used so often in a bad time for top notch advise, comfort and help. And reassuring. But also a website anxietycenter is a great help everything is listed there. i never found such a palce as that.

joy
31-03-12, 08:20
Have you got the website address please

Joy

AlRob
31-03-12, 17:18
Hi.. Well I know there are a lot of exaggerations and hyperbole in the world but I can honestly say, with real truth, that this book written by the heroic Claire Weekes,saved my life. Saved it that is, in that it gave me the chance to start to live again. To break the truly awful chains of fear and the vicious cycle of panic.Truthfully, it is really very difficult to overstate the magnitude of her work and importance.
The clarity of her message, the depth of her understanding and the calm, reasoning style of her delivery. She makes us realise in simple terms what is happening and why it has happened and strips the confusion away, by telling you how it needs to be dealt with.
When you think of the misery and anguish of panic disorder- and how much one women did to help so, so many sufferers to recover, then it's hard to think of many more important, heroic figures in the field of mental health than Claire Weekes.
I just honestly hope she knew and appreciated how many people she had helped.

Seriously, if you're a sufferer if anxiety/panic attacks then please get hold of her books, you will be glad you did for the rest of your life.

A true hero.