PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have this happen?

JodiW
22-03-12, 00:44
I'm from the U.S. so sorry if anything I say is lost in translation.

I'm currently in the middle of a lengthy (since Saturday) episode and one of the most bothersome symptoms is that I feel like I have to go to the bathroom (loo) every 10 minutes - or even more often. I haven't been able to eat much, I go in there and do nothing...then as little as 3 minutes later I feel an uncontrollable urge to go again.

I very rarely actually DO anything when I'm in there. I'm wearing a path in the carpet from walking back and forth.

Is this a new symptom I'm having? I already have stomach problems related to the anxiety and have been taking an anti-diarrhea med to get some relief there from that. So why??? Should I treat this as a symptom (ignore/float with it)?

monika
22-03-12, 03:14
This is a very common and NORMAL symptom.
The mind and stomach/gut have a very complex connection. When we feel anxious, you know how you get that "butterflies in the stomach" feeling? This is caused by the anxiety and is apart of the flight or fight mechanism. Anxiety affects are stomach and upper intestine in this way, causing feelings of nausea and tension. Digestion stops when this happens to, and that's why you may also lose your appetite. Now, anxiety not only affects the upper intestine but also the lower. The large intestine loosens and the digestive process is sped up. This causes diarrhea. The stomach has its own very complex nervous system that is extremely sensitive to stress. Some may experience this worse than others. I know for myself when I start getting that butterflies in the stomach feeling that I have to run to the bathroom :blush:. It is completely normal and disappears when the stress does. I advise you ditch the meds :\ It's like taking drinking massive amounts of alcohol, then waking up feeling nauseous and taking anti-nausea medication. :unsure:
Best regards!
Monika