PDA

View Full Version : Optimistic as ever...

kittikat
23-03-12, 16:22
Had my first CBT session yesterday, lovely lady, made me really feel at ease. Lots of questions asked about my life and where I'm at now. I found this in itself quite theraputic. Was there for an hour and a half but could have talked forever. Anyway, will be covering some old ground on the AA's & PA's (had CBT for this a few years back) she says there are some new methods now which may help. Also discussed some 'exposure' therapy for the agoraphobia, which I'm a bit apprehensive about :wacko: but I remain optimistic that the correct treatment will help me.

Had a bit of a set back recently as the PA's seem to be back with a vengence so looking forward to broadening my horizons and taking some control back. Anyone else had exposure therapy? Is it sucessful?

Thanks, Kitti :) x

LAURA48
23-03-12, 17:08
Hi Kitti

So pleased that you found CBT helpful - I personally haven't had it myself but have been referred to a psychiatrist for anxiety and depression so probably I will get to have some of the above.

Just helps to have someone "professional" to talk to doesn't it. I will be glad when I get the appointment as been feeling so ill now since October 2011 and have been off work too, but pleased you are getting on well with it.

Regards Laura

angel wings
23-03-12, 18:09
hi Kitty

Glad it went ok with the cbt and you felt at ease with it ,did she come out to you at home ??
ive been refered for cbt but am a bit worried where i will have to go for it !!!
I read on another post a little while back for the social part they try and meet you at cafes and work up to places more busy to help you get used to them it worked for the person who posted it !!!
Im also wondering if cbt will help but anythings worth a try xxx
wishing you all the best xxx and hope it works for you

Darrenb74
23-03-12, 18:31
Oh well done jackie proud of you. I think that is the key being optimistic. Because no matter how good the treatment is, if you don't believe it will work then it probably wont. So stay positive on the treatment and it will all come good. And the talking forever bit you said, i definitely believe you on that because some of our chats we've had can go on to the early hours lol. Only kidding ya. Well done again :hugs:

Darren :)

kittikat
23-03-12, 19:17
Hi Kitti

So pleased that you found CBT helpful - I personally haven't had it myself but have been referred to a psychiatrist for anxiety and depression so probably I will get to have some of the above.

Just helps to have someone "professional" to talk to doesn't it. I will be glad when I get the appointment as been feeling so ill now since October 2011 and have been off work too, but pleased you are getting on well with it.

Regards Laura

Thanks for your reply Laura. My GP wouldn't refer me to a psychiatrist, even after I asked to be. But yes, you're right, talking to a professional does seem helpful, whatever their field of support is. I feel for you as I have been suffering (this time) since November, although I did return to work mid Jan, I believe that was too soon because I have had quite a few blips since and think this has set me back quite alot. I do hope you don't have to wait too long for your appointment and wish you all the best in your recovery. Kitti :)

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

hi Kitty

Glad it went ok with the cbt and you felt at ease with it ,did she come out to you at home ??
ive been refered for cbt but am a bit worried where i will have to go for it !!!
I read on another post a little while back for the social part they try and meet you at cafes and work up to places more busy to help you get used to them it worked for the person who posted it !!!
Im also wondering if cbt will help but anythings worth a try xxx
wishing you all the best xxx and hope it works for you

Hi Angel, Hope you are OK :)
She didn't come to me as it was at a health centre quite close to home. I couldn't go alone though, my partner took me. Bless him, had to wait in the car for nearly 2 hours, he is so good!! But I did do my work Occupational Health assessment over the phone as I refused point blank to travel into central London for that!! I think it's well worth a try, it worked for me before although I did get worse before I got better if you get what I mean because you sort of have to re-live and re-visit some of your worst panic attacks and places they occured (but only in your mind). I'm worried about the exposure bit even more now lol...but I'm sure she will make sure I feel comfortable about it first :wacko: Thanks hun. Take care xx

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

Oh well done jackie proud of you. I think that is the key being optimistic. Because no matter how good the treatment is, if you don't believe it will work then it probably wont. So stay positive on the treatment and it will all come good. And the talking forever bit you said, i definitely believe you on that because some of our chats we've had can go on to the early hours lol. Only kidding ya. Well done again :hugs:

Darren :)

Hi Darren :) thanks for your words of encouragement, I am really pleased I did it and I do feel positive about the future and hopefully being able to widen my comfort zone. I feel like I am just 'existing' in my little world at the moment and need to get myself out there like 'normal' people do, without that voice inside my head telling me I can't.

LMAO re the talking forever bit....I'm actually usually quite reserved :roflmao: but some people seem to have the knack of bringing out the 'old me' that person I used to be before I became 'anxiety'. Perhaps you are one of those so thanks for the therapy you 'midnight guru' lol :hugs:

Kitti :) x

angel wings
23-03-12, 19:37
oh no kitti didnt want you to worry i cant remember what thread it was but it was a positive one and they let her huband go with her and at her own pace it worked well !!! they wouldnt let you do anything you didnt want to :)
ive been quite good today trying to keep busy and positive seems to be working at them moment and hoping when i get cbt it will help ....:scared15: not looking forward to trawling over the past but i suppose you have to so they can understand xxxx
think my hubby will have to do the same dont think i could go on my own....

keep us posted on how you are getting on with it xxxxx :bighug1:

kittikat
23-03-12, 19:45
Lol, thanks Angel....you didn't worry me, just got me thinking!! I quite enjoyed trawling over the past, makes you think a bit about possible links or triggers. Well done for being so positive today, keep up the good work :)

I'll keep you posted, next appointment not for 2 weeks as she is on holiday next week, but I have to keep a panic/anx diary until then. :bighug1: to you too xx

angel wings
23-03-12, 19:55
yes your right i expect it does help going through things to see why you feel the way you do !!!
lol you got me worried then that i worried you what are we like :roflmao:

kittikat
23-03-12, 19:58
Always on guard with this bl**dy anxiety, that's what we're like :roflmao:xx

Darrenb74
23-03-12, 21:40
Hi Darren :) thanks for your words of encouragement, I am really pleased I did it and I do feel positive about the future and hopefully being able to widen my comfort zone. I feel like I am just 'existing' in my little world at the moment and need to get myself out there like 'normal' people do, without that voice inside my head telling me I can't.

LMAO re the talking forever bit....I'm actually usually quite reserved :roflmao: but some people seem to have the knack of bringing out the 'old me' that person I used to be before I became 'anxiety'. Perhaps you are one of those so thanks for the therapy you 'midnight guru' lol :hugs:

Kitti :) x[/QUOTE] Haha. And what do you mean normal people? We're normal or have you got an extra foot or something :roflmao:

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

Haha. What do you mean normal people? we are normal or have you got an extra foot or something :roflmao:

Darren :D

kittikat
23-03-12, 22:00
Sorry Darren, misuse of the word 'normal' no offence meant, lol... but hey, I guess you know what I'm saying :) Actually I have been referred to as a vulcan due to my logic reasoning and lack of emotion, so does that not constitute abnormal?? :roflmao: