PDA

View Full Version : Driving

Hck80
23-03-12, 20:50
I never used to have any worry or fear of driving, but for the past few months when ever I do drive I feel odd. It's hard to explain but it's like I feelLike I'm about to have a panic attack or that I'm about to get giddy.
Does anybody else get this? I really don't want to end up being too scared or anxious to drive

yvonne_uk_98
23-03-12, 20:59
I never used to have any worry or fear of driving, but for the past few months when ever I do drive I feel odd. It's hard to explain but it's like I feelLike I'm about to have a panic attack or that I'm about to get giddy.
Does anybody else get this? I really don't want to end up being too scared or anxious to drive

Hi Hck80,

Sorry to hear your having a rough time with driving, with panic attacks, worrying. :hugs:

When I take a panic attack, I tell myself no your not going to take control panic attack, its alright and this will pass. I do my breathing excersie, breath slowly. I am able to continue to drive, I take my time. Sometimes I park the car safely and just take a good few minutes to myself. I tell my self it is alright to get anx, its alright, I tell my panic to stay calm, nothing going to happen. I dont let my panic take over when I'm driving.

I hope you find some way to help yourself. plus I also take an extra drving lesson which also helps too. you could take some driving lessons to try and help you to overcome this worry of panic etc... and get some tips from the driving instructor. only a suggestion.

Yvonne

emeraldgirl
23-03-12, 22:00
Sorry to hear your'e feeling anxious about driving. i have felt that a couple of times when i was driving and suddenly really focused on what I was doing. it was a weird feeling because usually it is quite an automatic activity but when you think about it sometimes it makes you feel a bit weird. I find if I keep the radio on and distract myself like that it can help. Also, like Yvonne says its a good idea to take a short break and relax if you feel really panicky. hope the feelings disappear and don't get worse

Stormsky
23-03-12, 22:09
I had my first panic attack driving...and used to get them in the car all the time, it stopped me from ever driving far for a while... but i was determined to drive, and not let panic win.... and that was years ago now, i dont have panic attacks anymore... but on occasion like you, i feel odd and bit lightheaded, but i just change my train of thoughts onto something else, and listen to some music...