PDA

View Full Version : Loss of sense of humour.

GT
24-03-12, 05:03
I always believed there was nothing you couldn't joke about as taking life too seriously is a miserable affair.

One thing I have found since developing accute anxiety is my sense of humour has almost completely vanished.

I know I have always been an over thinker and have always been anxious. I have also always been known for my quick wit and sometimes crude sense of humour.

I think this was always my defence and way of handling things that popped into my head.

I am on a mission to get my sense of humour back. So whatever I worry about and think of I shall try and make a joke of.

I wonder how many here with Anx have been considered now or in the past as quick witted and funny. I know a lot are creative. Any thoughts on this?

littleredhen
24-03-12, 05:26
I would say that's got to be extremely common - esp with those caught in the depression/anxiety cycle. Also, some of the meds can lower mood too.

I find I can BE as funny/witty as I ever was, but it's totally fake and very little makes me genuinely laugh or even smile.

daintydi
24-03-12, 10:55
Hi GT,
your post really made smile! When I was having counselling this week, I said to my therapist. Ya see you don't know me! When I'm "right" I'm hilarious! So when shes looking at someone that is tear stained, and looks like a bag of pooh. I'm not sure she believes me! But I am! It is hidden a bit at the moment, but it's a part of me. Same as this dreadful illness. I must admit, some of the most ridiculous events have happened whilst I've been I'll. Waiting rooms are fabulous!When I'm shaking and about to go into full blown panic. I realise the only spare seat is next to me! I've become the local loon! Fame at last!
Diane x

So take care, one day soon your wit and humour will return.:roflmao::bighug1::yahoo:

Pipkin
24-03-12, 12:16
Hi GT,

Of course it's still there - it's just having some time off to recuperate. When it's back, it'll probably be quicker and cruder than ever - make sure you share it with us when it is. I love a great sense of humour.

Take care

Pip x

---------- Post added at 12:16 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

Btw Di - I reckon between us we could clear any waiting room. Maybe we should join forces and hire ourselves out for crowd control...

eternally optimistic
24-03-12, 12:39
Dont worry, the comedy character in your personality will not wilt away.

Once your are back on track in life it return with vegence (spelling?)

HAVE NO FEAR . . . . . .

kittikat
24-03-12, 12:42
Hi GT....I'm sure your sense of humour is inside you somewhere, but I too feel that anxiety has changed me and can related to your post. I have sent you a PM with my thoughts on this and some things that have helped me hope that is ok. Kitti :)

hwise05
29-03-12, 11:10
Hey GT,

I can totally relate to how your feeling as my anxiety has recently taken a turn for the worse and I feel as if I have changed. I used to be the clown of my friendship group and always laughing and smiling but now I'm very introverted and I just don't tend to find things that funny any more. Its like I don't even realise a joke has been told I'm so focussed on not panicking.

However, I do think that this will get better and actually your idea of making light of our condition is great and I'll be trying it too. I often joke about the 'drama' of being an anxious person and it can be a real ice breaker when I'm panicking. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I found your post really helpful and please message me and let me know how your getting on with laughing away your worries :)

Take care,

Helen