PDA

View Full Version : How do we finally learn to believe what our doctors are telling us?

benjamin222
24-03-12, 07:52
I was extremely tempted to make another post with a list of my physical symptoms, but as it's never really helped calm my anxiety in the past I figure it's not the healthiest route to go.

Plain and simply, what are some strategies I can use to once and for all finally BELIEVE what the doctors have been telling me, and accept the fact that I do not have heart disease? I'm so sick of going to a doctor on a monthly basis only to leave the office with some part of me just knowing that they missed something.

The Health Anxiety article on this site is certainly helpful, but are there any specific strategies you guys and gals use?

Em84
24-03-12, 07:59
Hi

I never believe the doctor...lol! That's what HA does to us, I have my 5th appointment on Tuesday for the last four weeks. Thing is I know I have a chronic sinus issue going on since December but because I have also had a chest infection, throat infection and a virus I've been given anti b's for them but the si us issue has just stuck so Tuesday I'm going to put my foot down with the doctor and get him to listen to me.

Chest pain- I get it all the time, varies from what I think is lung pain...pinching around the left Brest area (heart attack warning) : / it comes with anxiety....

We will always believe there is something happening to us.....

Xxx

Pipkin
24-03-12, 10:12
Hi Ben,

You've posed the ultimate question and if there were an easier answer, I'd patent it and be a millionaire.

Really, I suppose there's an element of trust in the relationship you build with your GP. It's also important to look back and see if all the things you thought were wrong with you turned out to be true. In my case, if my self-diagnoses had been right, either I'd be long gone by now or I must be the luckiest person on Earth.

I have learned to trust professionals (not blindly though) and, to date, that trust has proved to be well placed.

Take care

Pip x

PinkRoxy
24-03-12, 19:17
I always believe my doctor but my problem is that I dont believe other doctors that I dont know lol isnt that weird.
I just hear bad experiences from other people then I have bad exeperiences with substitute doctors and I just dont like them.

I believe if the do doctor knows you well and knows a bit of your medical history well just has an idea of what you have been through and have been suffering and they know who you are then it helps to believe them.

Good doctors always have your best interest at heart so usually they will do everything they can to make sure you are alright. They have the training to know what you need done like tests wise and what you dont need just tell them how you feel honestly.

They know more than us so they would know what you need as usually we dont.

kinnygirl1
24-03-12, 20:08
I believe them whilst I am there but over time my anxiety creeps up on me and doubts set in. I need a technique to help me keep believing! Well done for not posting a list of symptons though! I know sometimes it is so tempting to seek that reassurance.

xfilme
24-03-12, 21:09
Its a leap of faith trusting a doctor. I find it hard too. But you have to remember that if you have a 'good' doctor, you will learn to trust them. Doctors are trained to look for 'warning' signs. If they see no reason for concern, then chances are there are no reasons for concern. Doctors DON'T take chances. Their job is potentially on the line.

The only time I find it hard to trust a doctor at all, is when you get a doctor that will not physically check your concerns because they know you have Health Anxiety. If your doctor assumes its your Health Anxiety and doesnt even check, then you have a problem on your hands. Just because we suffer a Health Anxiety Disorder, that does not make us immune to actual disease or illness. If this is the case with your doctor, I suggest instead of finding a better strategy for believing what they say, you instead seek a doctor that will check your worries whilst helping you understand the nature of your emotional illness which is the Health Anxiety.

However, if you have had more than one test for the same problem and come back with the same 'normal' results, you have to re-establish trusting your body, even more so than a doctor. Our bodies are designed to heal themselves to the best of their abilities. They withstand a lot. Every day since birth, your heart has taken the stress of lifting, standing, walking, exercising, sleeping, excitement, fear, sex, anger, sadness.... every thing you have ever done, your heart has accompanied you in the journey...beating... all by itself.

For me, the easiest way of trusting a doctor when all results are normal, is to realise that it might not be your heart that is unhealthy... it 'might' just be your thoughts?