PDA

View Full Version : private scan?

miss sparkle
24-03-12, 12:57
hi everyone.
just wondered how you go about getting a private scan. i am convinced i have got something wrong somewhere, and don't think i will be happy until i have a scan, which obviously the gp won't do.
any info and prices would be great.
thanks

nomorepanic
24-03-12, 12:58
It depends on the scan I guess.

I heard that a CT scan costs the NHS about £800 so not sure what they charge privately.

What do you want scanning and why won't the docs help?

joy
24-03-12, 13:05
If you contact your nearest private hospital ie BUPA they will tell you altho usually you need a gps referral

Joy

miss sparkle
24-03-12, 13:06
i found a lump in my breast and i have had a ultra sound at the breast clinic but i am not convinced as i still have a lump and i am terrified of leaving it too late.
apart from that, i just feel generally rubbish which could of course be anxiety, but i am obviously thinking its cancer. . .

ElizabethJane
24-03-12, 13:12
It does not sound as if you need a scan just some reassurance. Would one of your GP's be able to examine you again? If you are feeling 'rubbish' then maybe write down how you are feeling and take that to the GP too. Good luck. EJ.

miss sparkle
24-03-12, 13:42
i have been back and forth to the doctors a hundred times over the last few months, then i found the lump and i was just like 'oh here we go' i went to the breast clinic and they said it was just glandular tissue, but i have heard breast cancer don't always show in a scan alone.
i am now obviously thinking i have breast cancer that has spread and every twinge is making me feel terrible.
i just cannot stop thinking about it and it has got to the stage the doctors are just offering me both anti depressents.

nomorepanic
24-03-12, 14:16
I would say you have had a pretty good check up and you have to trust them on this one.

I can't see that having a scan would help to be honest and would be very costly as well.

Put some faith in the professionals ok and save your money

Aussie11
24-03-12, 15:38
Did they say at breast clinic that you didn't need scan after feeling it? I went to an NHS breast clinic a couple of years ago and they weren't sure so they did scan on the spot. I'm sure they would have done one if there was any doubt. They must see so many people I'm sure they must know on feeling it if anything sinister or not. However I did get worried again last year so I went off for another scan. Most breast scans require GP referral but there mau be some private ones like Harley Street who will take self refer but will charge about £300 or so. You could try getting referral from your public GP but get them to do it as ref to private scan, then you could go to range of places which CSM be as low as £99. Otherwise if that GP won't refer you go to a private GP, places like Medicentre charge £70 for private GP apt plus about £20 for referral letter. I'm sure it's just the anxiety making you feel more worried but I understand if you just nerd that extra peace of mind, I know I often do! Best of luck.

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

Apologies for the typos, silly iPhone!

miss sparkle
25-03-12, 07:38
Thankyou for your replys
i had a ultrasound at the clinic but as far as i know, there was no lump picked up, as i was watching the screen, but i do have a lump, so it doesn't make sense.
i went on the breast cancer forum, and there are women on there who had a ultrasound and their cancer wasn't picked up, only on a Mri.
i think my gp would refer me back at a push, but not for a scan

cornishmaid
25-03-12, 07:48
I would have thought if the breast clinic was satisfied with the scan it would be ok, I have a lump,went to doc 3 times about it,she didnt feel it until the 3rd time(i was in and out the docs as well all the time) so i had a mammogram on 22 march and now have to wait until 4th april for appointment at breast clinic,where i was told they might do an ultrasound and Fine needle aspiration,or whatever else they do,anxiety is hitting the roof waiting, ,but as mentioned ,the breast clinic are seeing people all the time, they know what they are looking for,am sure you will be fine, x but if the lump changes or your breast changes in any way go back to your doctor again x

miss sparkle
25-03-12, 09:29
hi cm,
i think that's what's annoying me the most, because i am not confident its not cancer, i am obsessivly checking my breast, i think if they had done a biopsy or whatever at least i would feel more re assured.
i understand they are professionals and know there job, but i also realise it is a very busy clinic and i foot know if sometimes things just get missed.
arraghhh! x

cornishmaid
25-03-12, 10:21
I too have been on the breast cancer site so i know what you are sayng about somethings not showing up on mammogram and ultra sound is correct,scary that isnt it! I am at my wits end over this damn lump,the snotty doc i seen first about it her exact words tio me were "where is said mass?" i was like here cant u feel it lol, still i dont thibk they would have let you go unless they were absolutely sure that it wasnt anything to worry about xx

miss sparkle
25-03-12, 19:48
yeah, i hope so. i just am not happy and if i leave it, and it is, there is jess chance of doing something about it.
ah bless you try not to worry, they say 9 out of 10 jumps are ok dont they.
like you, they struggle to find mine too, but to me it is really obvious! x