PDA

View Full Version : Help! how am I going to do it?

mandg
29-06-06, 08:28
Hi,
I have been off from work (a new job of 7 weeks) for a week and a half now with acute anxiety and panic. I am due back on Monday but am already stressing about how I am going to cope, especially driving there in rush hour traffic. My waking thoughts are dominated by it and I am exhausted. I got Claire Weekes' books yesterday and I think she is sugggesting I float there! I'm so frightened of crumbling and making a fool of myself. Should I try and get more time off work or push myself and face it?

Yours Panicking

Mandy

lizmarshall
29-06-06, 12:38
Hi Hun,

Well i would say the only way to tame your fear is to face it and show you are not scared of it. I'm at work at the mo having what i think is an axiety attack but trying to ignore it as much as i can!!.

Hope this helps a little and good luck with whatever you decide.

Liz

mandg
29-06-06, 13:12
Thanks Liz!
23 people have read my post but you are the only one to reply. I was getting really upset that no one cared! Hope you're OK at work. Do you find it's better if you keep occupied?
Thanks for the encouragement.

Mandy

Paddington
29-06-06, 13:46
The more you allow the fear of fear to rule your life hun the smaller your world will get,it wont stop with work!I did this and i stil had the panic,my boundries where so small,well my house and garden to put it bluntly!So my advice is,take things at a steady pace,always know you can do as you please,leave the work place if need be,you are the master of you not the demon fear!Dont push it,or try and float thru it[i could never grasp the floating thing!!]breathing is good,counting[logging on here too,usuallysomeone on to talk to!]I now can go out and have been to concerts too,soi know it can be done,Good luck.love mary-rose.xxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

hayles
29-06-06, 13:54
FACE IT HEAD ON LOVE.

I Know when i was off for a week with really bad anxiety i could have just stayed off forever. It was so hard to go back, and i think i spent the first week in and out of the loo, fighting the urge to make a run for it, but it DOES get better! I have loads of blips....having a small one today with a very sick feeling, resisiting the urge to get im my car and go home now....but ho hum, i know it will pass and so will yours.

GOOD LUCK xxx

Hay x

mandg
29-06-06, 15:53
Thanks everone!
Yes Nigel my boss does know about it. I have been really open with him and also with employee health management. I am having a meeting with him tomorrow (if I can get there!) and hopefully we will take things from there. I think part time would be great but it's a new job so it might be asking a bit too much. Hopefully I will feel more able to cope on Monday if I've been already.

thanks,

Mandy

mandg
30-06-06, 15:53
made it to see my boss today but nearly turned the car around half way there I felt that bad. I told myself it was just adrenaline and it would pass and what do you know it did! I feel absolutely exhausted now though but glad I did it. Hopefully MOnday won't be so bad.
thanks for all your comments and support.

Mandy

mandg
30-06-06, 15:54
made it to see my boss today but nearly turned the car around half way there I felt that bad. I told myself it was just adrenaline and it would pass and what do you know it did! I feel absolutely exhausted now though but glad I did it. Hopefully MOnday won't be so bad.
thanks for all your comments and support.

Mandy

cathy s
03-07-06, 20:26
Well done for getting there!!
The above person was right in saying your world will get smaller if you avoid things. Mine did too, but I've gradually regained my confidence by physically relaxing as much as possible and taking small steps towards things I was afraid of doing. It was worse for me bacause I didn't have a job to force me out of my comfort zone. Whereas the first time I felt like you (10 years ago) I had a job & I got over it alot quicker with alot of relaxation & sleep & trying to find things I enjoyed to do again(you forget!!) I had to change my lifestyle slightly too.
You will pass out of this phase, but as it sais in claire weekes book, the first thing to do is not be afraid of these sensations as it's only adrenalin miss-fireing - you already know this though.
Sounds like you have started well by getting there, try to learn relaxation techniqhes as much as poss - whatever one works best for you.
good luck!
Cathy

mandg
03-07-06, 20:50
Thanks Cathy,
I managed a whole day at work today. Feel really tired but pleased with myself. Everyone at work was really understanding as well as i have been really open with them.

hope you are doing OK

Mandy