PDA

View Full Version : trip to the hospital last night heartrate of 140!! normal should have been 70!!

sherylee xx
24-03-12, 14:44
so after all evenin of havin palps and a heavy feelin in my chest and my heart racin for hours i finaly rang my out of hours gp who told me to ring an ambulence so i did just that expectin the same old thing ecg which is normal but a trip to a&e to be safe..... no!!! my ecg was very abnormal and my heart rate was 140 and should have been 70!! the ambulence man said right you gotta go hospital now and rang through for assitence i was terrified!!!!!!! i had more ecgs and was hooked up to monitors had to have a drip and a chest xray! the doctor said he doubted anxiety to be the culprit as my heart just wouldnt slow down though i was calm bein in hospital, over 3 hours later and heart finally slowed down they couldnt find anythin accutely wrong so theyre writtin a letter to my gp amd im to go right back if it happens again! i was tryin to ignore it as anxiety and almost did but im so glad i did ring my out of hours gp!! the doctor at the hospital asked if i had shotness of breath and chest pressure befor and i said yes had ecgs and all normal and but with it happenin so much he couldnt understand why no further test have been done.. im still so very worried and very awear of how my chest feels and my heart :( xx

daisycake
24-03-12, 15:02
It might be episodes of SVT which aren't too dangerous and can be treated pretty successfully as far as I'm aware. Please try not to worry, at least they are aware of the situation now and are going to help you x

LAURA48
24-03-12, 15:09
Hi Sherylee - you poor thing you must have been so frightened - are you on meds? Well at least the docs know about it now but anything like that is horrible - feel as if you are going to have a heart attack. Did they give you anything to calm you down.

Let me know.

Laura:hugs:

sherylee xx
24-03-12, 15:16
thanks guys, no they didnt give me anythin but im a mess right now gettin slight chest pain and left arm oain :( xx

LAURA48
24-03-12, 15:28
Keep an eye on it - you know how you feel - would definitely see your GP on Monday - he may give you something. Sure it is anxiety but that is not the point. Have you a Walk in Centre or anything like that in an emergency instead of A & E - just a thought because they could do another ECG.

Take care Laura

eight days a week
24-03-12, 15:34
140 is high, but way WAY below dangerous levels.

Hopefully your GP will refer you for all the relevant tests now to put your mind at rest :)

sherylee xx
24-03-12, 21:37
i will do hun and no i dont :( nearest is a&e xx

eight days a week yes very high it was double what it should have been and they wouldnt even let me walk to the mbulence :/ hopefully :) xx

sherylee xx
24-03-12, 21:41
soo on gps advise i went back to a&e again today with chest and left arm pain had another ecg which was normal but the doctor wants to be carefull and wants me to have a 24hour ecg and isnt convinced its down to anxiety, he was also disgusted that my gp refused me to have the 24 hour ecg when reffered by the hospital and gp point plank said no to me so the hospital doctor is writtin him a letter sayin no ifs or buts he has to let me have the 24 hour ecg i described that my heart felt like it was shivverin and he said yes we deffo need to catch this on an ecg obvs im worried but tryin to keep occupied xx

kinnygirl1
24-03-12, 22:18
Wow that sounds terrifying! I think you are brave - I would be freaking out. Be brave- at least if they do the tests and find something you will have some answers and be able to start some treatment if necessary and stop worrying about the what if's.

sherylee xx
24-03-12, 23:16
aw thankyou hunni :) and exactly hun i hope its nothin xx

macc noodle
24-03-12, 23:37
Your GP refused the 24hr monitor despite being the hospital requesting it be done?

I am a little confused as to why you were not simply referred to cardiology within the hospital following your admission to A&E with these symptoms and then the A&E doctor telliing you that he/she not convinced it was all anx related and that your readings were abnormal.

Surely you should be referred to the clinic within the hospital ?

On the flip side though, clearly they are not that worried about it otherwise they would have done that rather than refer it back via the GP

The good old NHS never ceases to amaze me !!!

Hope you feeling better this evening ?

Macc
xx

nomorepanic
25-03-12, 00:17
posts merged for you

eight days a week
25-03-12, 08:57
I had a heartbeat of up to 180 in panic attacks, I was told at my age (33 then) it wasn't dangerous but in the end I was put on a beta-blocker just for long-term 'protection' of the heart. Hopefully the tests will reassure you too :)

I am a little confused as to why you were not simply referred to cardiology within the hospital following your admission to A&E with these symptoms and then the A&E doctor telliing you that he/she not convinced it was all anx related and that your readings were abnormal.

Surely you should be referred to the clinic within the hospital ?

This may be wrong because it might vary by area, but here in West Kent everything has to go through your GP now if you're an outpatient, and the way it's been put to me it sounds like national policy, at least within England. E.g. my dad's lung consultant wanted him to see a cardiologist again, but instead of being able to refer him directly he had to write to my dad's gp and ask him to refer him.

My dad saw his cardiologist privately at first and the tests he needed had to be done on the NHS. Again, he had to ask the GP if he was happy to refer my dad for the tests.

So instead of the loop going:

Chest consultant -> heart consultant -> tests on NHS

It went:

Chest consultant -> GP -> heart consultant -> GP -> tests on NHS

Very frustrating, and a right waste of time when it's so hard here to get to see your GP!

I believe it's because GPs are responsible for their budgets now and have to justify all the tests they send patients for.

LAURA48
25-03-12, 09:01
Every referral has to be done by your GP - as the above post said - to do with the practice being responsible for their own budgets.

macc noodle
25-03-12, 17:36
Well I just wonder what the world is coming to - crazy eh????

Still, it does seem a madness to refuse to organise a 24hr ecg when the hospital has advised it !!!

Hope they sort you out soon and save any more anxiety :hugs:

Macc xx

countrygirl
25-03-12, 19:20
140 is stil within normal range for heartbeat. whenever a Dr comes near me mine can go up to 145 purely from anxiety. I was told that its only when it goes about 160 is it a concern.

Your Gp is only person who can ask for 24 hr ecg- A&E cannot do this other than keeping you in hospital overnight then you come under the Drs in the hospital but if you are not kept in then all they can do is write to your Gp and suggesting further tests but its all down to GP as to whether they go ahead or not. Not many people know how the system works.

eight days a week
25-03-12, 19:46
140 is stil within normal range for heartbeat. whenever a Dr comes near me mine can go up to 145 purely from anxiety. I was told that its only when it goes about 160 is it a concern.

My cardiologist told me that 240 minus your age is when it starts getting potentially dangerous. I am 36 so for me that's just over 200.

sherylee xx
26-03-12, 00:56
thanks everyone thing is i wasnt havin a panick attack or feelin anxious i was laughin and jokin with the ambulence man and my heart rate stayed that high for about 2 hours all the while i was feelin calm, it was very weird!! my heart also was shivverin for about 4 hours it was like a 4 hour palp xx