PDA

View Full Version : My teeth are bringing me to tears

rock chick
25-03-12, 04:05
I've been putting off telling most people about my teeth and dental concerns in full but it's just getting too much and I feel I need to tell people that will probably understand.

I left my teeth go for years, it was very stupid I know, in truth I didn't even brush them for ages and had some mindset of either I didn't care and/or I wouldn't need to worry about them until much later.

Of course things don't work like that and slowly they started to play up, over the years I've a few teeth removed (including most of my wisdom ones at the same time under sedation) & multiple fillings but around the time of the last 1 I had removed I noticed I was having problems all around my mouth, bearable mostly but I couldn't ignore them and they were pain was new.

I become almost obsessed with the worry of losing most of my teeth and the concept of having any more extractions fills me with fear because the last time I become paranoid about something going wrong afterwards for awhile.

I knew I needed to go back and have more seen to but it wasn't so simple, I don't have the money to go private so I rely on their emergency service, it's about a 2 week wait and they only bother with 1 tooth at a time, so I felt I wouldn't ever get my whole mouth looked at. Also I came over time to lose trust in them, they made mistakes and the last filling they gave me made things a bit worse not better (they didn't do any x-rays for it or even tapping or sensitivity tests, most of the time they took x-rays).

Today I feel so much worse because I noticed 1 of my teeth has had a part chipped off, so I'm going to need to go back. Last time they basically said I was wasting their time and mine, I felt so upset and useless.

I've since started brushing my teeth again because I really want to keep as many as I can and I'm sick of the horrible staining on some of them, I have changed in that way and I now really care about them unlike before.

What really upsets me is I just would love to see a dentist that would have a proper look at my teeth and tell me what is going on but I can't afford to. I'm supposed to be on a waiting list for something like that at the dental clinic but they don't seem to have bothered.

So I now have a phobia of the dentist but am desperate to see 1 if that makes any sense, I'm not so scared of the common things, more possible stuff ups like I've had and what can happen when teeth get removed, usually overreactions but they feel real enough to panic me and bring me to tears.

Now, I have a fear that because part of the chipped tooth is slightly exposed where the gum meets the tooth that I will possibly get an abscess before it's seen to, I know I can't do much about that (I mean to stop it happening) but it's still there in my mind.

I have pain in different parts of my mouth, jaw and some teeth everyday but just tell myself to not pay too much attention to it because it'd take ages for them to even bother with some of them and I hated the way they treated me like a waste of space last time.

I keep getting upset that I can't afford a private dentist or see any that will look at my jaw and teeth properly and I am dreading how they talk to me after how they made me feel so stupid & angry last time.:weep:

Carys
25-03-12, 08:11
Hi rockchick,

This site -

www.dentalfearcentral.org

are brilliant at supporting and helping with exactly the type of concerns you have about your teeth and dental work. I joined as a member myself a few months ago when I was phobic about an aspect of dental work and it was a godsend. There is lots of reading you can do on there that will help I am sure.

rock chick
25-03-12, 13:16
I looked at that site not long after I started to have the panic, problem is I can't get access to a dentist who will look at my teeth properly, well not for a very long time and even then it still needs to be the same place because it's not private.

I could put my name down for another place but last time it took close to a year or something, I really can't wait that long.

There's one other big place in the city but the waiting list is really huge and otherwise they simply do emergency stuff sooner.

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

However I will add thank you very much for reminding me of that site. I've now registered there & finally had the courage to post a similar post there (I say courage as I felt stupid posting something like this as I feel most of the members there have far worse cases of dental phobia & I'm just a wannabe, I know how stupid that sounds but it doesn't change how I feel). :bighug1: