PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and migraine

Tero
25-03-12, 17:56
I am dealing with my anxiety and panic attacks, but I was looking up migraines. I have had those longer than panic attacks. There does seem to be a connection.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/549903_5

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10570728

They may come at different times but it is worth reporting both to your doctor.

I have had all the symptoms of migraines, I have the auras usually without the headache, and headache without aura.

rooby
25-03-12, 18:11
I have migraine with aura and often find it difficult to tell if it is a panic attack starting or a migraine as the aura and panic attack often start with the same symptoms eg tingling in hands and eye symptoms this starts heart pounding cos I think its a migraine (which I absolutely hate and scared of) so I am often in a viscious cycle

Tero
25-03-12, 21:28
Have you asked for medicine?

Unlike the anxiety drugs, which only reduce my panic attack number, sumatriptan for me is quite effective. Insurance pays up to nine pills a month for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatriptan

---------- Post added at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

Another part of migraine, which may be treatable, is the "car sickness" feelings
http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/specific-disorders/vestibular-migraine.php

crystal17
25-03-12, 23:22
Thanks for posting these. I suffer from regular migraines but am too afraid to go to the doctors about it as I have a phobia of people looking into my eyes (in a medical sense, not socially lol) and so just suffer in silence much to the annoyance of my family.

I do suffer with anxiety and have occasional panic attacks, am also very down alot of the time and have an ongoing stressful relationship and lifestyle so I'm thinking the migraines are going to keep on coming until I deal with all that.

Ingenious
25-03-12, 23:34
I have a phobia of people looking into my eyes (in a medical sense, not socially lol)

Sorry to be slightly off topic but it's reassuring to read someone else has this. I hate being under scrutiny in a medical setting and actually find the opticians as bad as the dentist. Most times I have my eyes checked, I become panicky to the point of fainting. Having increased eye pressure also meant I had to go for regular hospital checks and even more scrutiny. At my last check there was a great comedy moment where I was lying on the floor, and the consultant was fanning me with my own medical records. On a positive side, it does always mean I get a free, hot sugary drink and some sympathy biscuits or food from the nurses :yesyes:

Tero
25-03-12, 23:37
I had my eyes checked when the auras bothered me. It was painless except the dye that gave me blurry vision. It dilates the eye. Have someone else drive you to the eye exam!

crystal17
26-03-12, 18:59
Sorry to be slightly off topic but it's reassuring to read someone else has this. I hate being under scrutiny in a medical setting and actually find the opticians as bad as the dentist. Most times I have my eyes checked, I become panicky to the point of fainting. Having increased eye pressure also meant I had to go for regular hospital checks and even more scrutiny. At my last check there was a great comedy moment where I was lying on the floor, and the consultant was fanning me with my own medical records. On a positive side, it does always mean I get a free, hot sugary drink and some sympathy biscuits or food from the nurses :yesyes:

Haha Ingenious that does sound quite funny being fanned with your own medical records - like something out of Fawlty Towers :roflmao:

Glad I could reassure you that you're not alone in this fear and in turn it has helped me knowing I'm not the only one either!

Mine is really bad, I've not had my eyes checked in 15 years...I know its awful but I cant bring myself to go!:wacko:

Tero
07-04-12, 01:16
I have a new book, this time on migraines. It appears some of the symptoms I ascribed to anxiety have more to do with migraine. Or there is at least a connection between the two.

I have sumatriptan, it helps migraine, but I do not get more than 9 pills a month by insurance. For daily migraines there is a different, preventive, medicine.

Tero
11-04-12, 00:05
Had annual physical. I have fibromyalgia, anxiety and migraine. Doc upped my amitriptylene from 25mg to 50mg. It is supposed to help prevent migraine. I have never noted much side effects at 25mg, on which I have been 20 years now.

Tero
29-04-12, 18:30
One thing I have noted: on migraine days, anxiety is worse too. Probably all relates to stress levels that day.

chanebehanan
01-05-12, 01:13
pleeaaase go to the doctor and get sumatriptan. Brands are usually imigran/imitrex and they work wonders.

Literally take my migraine away in around 30 minutes.

Tero
02-12-12, 13:25
Yes, I have sumatriptan. I take it two or three times a month.

Also taking Mg 250mg daily, seems to reduce migraines a bit. It's good for osteoporosis too, for women. Many pills now have Ca and Mg for that.