PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks and pregnancy

Foo
25-03-12, 22:50
Hi, I wonder if anyone else has been through this, and yes, I know I should talk to my doctor first but thought if also post here.

Firstly I think I might be pregnant :) which is a good thing, secondly I take 40 mg of propanolol about 3 times a week on separate days for anxiety at work, which isn't so great.

We've been trying for our 2nd for a whole and I mentioned it to my doc a while ago so we tried Valium rather than propanolol, but it didn't even dent my anxiety.

Has anyone else been pregnant and on propanolol? Are there any other beta blockers that work for anxiety that are ok to take whilst pregnant?

Any advice would be great..

Em84
26-03-12, 07:23
Hi Foo

My second is 6mths old now....Ive been having anxiety for about 2 years now so had to go through the pregnancy with this....Luckily quite strange further on during the 40 weeks I found my anxiety was really good....I felt pretty much normal, was on no medication.

It was only around 3 weeks after having her I found the symptoms creeping back in again. I spoke to the health visitor who said to talk to the GP if I was concerned. The I tried two different meds that weren't for me so no longer on anything. The 2 kids keep me pretty occupied so that helps.

When pregnant my doctor didn't give me any meds...only the norm iron tabs etc...he may not give you any SSRI if pregnant

Do a test, if positive get an appointment at the GP and discuss all your options with him...

Let us know how you get on....

Xxx

Foo
26-03-12, 11:20
Thanks Em. I'm not sure how I'd work without the meds but will go and talk to the doc.

Carys
26-03-12, 16:17
Definitely go back to the doctor and discuss your pregnancy with him, if by now you are confirmed positive ? By the sounds of it he wanted you to use valium, rather than propananol when trying to conceive, I appreciate that it did nothing for your anxiety....but there must have been a reason why he thought propananol would be better for you and the baby whilst pregnant. Maybe you could discuss another med instead of the diazepam ?

msjo
27-03-12, 21:07
Hi i took propanolol while pregnant, used it when needed with no problems.

nic77
30-03-12, 10:05
Congratulations if you are pregnant ,you should see the doctor if your pregnant and taking any kind of medications for the health of yourself and your baby . good luck xx