PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazapine I can't sleep and feel quite high. HELP

Glenlosh
26-03-12, 09:00
Hello
I started taking 30mg Mirtazapine two weeks ago for clinical depression, having been on 40mg Citalopram for years. At first I slept really well, though with very lucid dreams. I feel so much better and the dreadful feelings of utter despair have gone, however I now find myself feeling what I can only describe as almost manic and am not sleeping.

diane07
26-03-12, 09:07
Hi Glenlosh

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

nicola1980
26-03-12, 09:25
Hi you could maybe feeling some withdrawal off the citalopram?? did you cross taper over or do a straight swap? if it carries on id go and have a word with your gp, i was on mirtazapine for a bit and had the most werid vivid dreams too!! xx

Glenlosh
26-03-12, 09:33
Hi Nicola, there was no tapering off from Citalapram. I did call my GP's partener as he is away. He told me to go down to 10mg, which terrified me as the fellings of dis pair were going and I don't want them back. we agreed to try 15mg which made no difference so I was advised by own GP to go back on 30mg and just be more patient as it is only two weeks in. Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Julianne
26-03-12, 20:57
Sounds awful, maybe you should go back to your GP and talk about this.

Hope you get over this really soon,

with love

Ingenious
26-03-12, 21:57
If you mean that two weeks ago when you started Mirtazapine that you switched straight over from 40mg Citalopram with no tapering down first (I think that's what you mean but sorry if I read it wrong) then you could be having withdrawal effects from the Citalopram. I also switched in this way but went from 40mg to 20mg for a week before the switch to Mirt and still had some symptoms from stopping Citalopram. You said you have been on Citalopram for years so in suddenly stopping it I think you will almost certainly feel a bit strange/rough for a little while.

The problem (as demonstrated by your GPs advice to change the Mirtazapine levels) is never knowing whether a particular effect is withdrawal from one, or side effects of starting the other :) The only advice really is to be patient and ride this out but do speak to your GP again if you're still concerned.