PDA

View Full Version : just started pregabilin

victor jara
26-03-12, 11:15
I have found this really helpful it has taken away the awful nausea and dread I experienced on waking.

I have been started on 150mg bd . From others posts this does seem like a high dose although my GP said it was both for anxiety and my neuro symptoms.

dan1234
26-03-12, 11:54
I am on 150 tid, and will be increasing to 200 tid.

600mg is the highest dose. Your dose is moderate.

victor jara
26-03-12, 13:43
thanks for this Dan

loreen
26-03-12, 19:33
HI Dan

Been to the doctors for my review today,and she told me to have the 300mg tablet,once a day.

I've been taking 300mg in three 100mg doses.Now I am worried the effect wont be the same. What do you think? Have you heard of it being taken in one single dose a day?

The synic in me thinks it is a cost saving tactic.I think I read somewhere it costs less to do it this way.

Now I am worried!!!

Loreen x

dan1234
26-03-12, 20:43
HI Dan

Been to the doctors for my review today,and she told me to have the 300mg tablet,once a day.

I've been taking 300mg in three 100mg doses.Now I am worried the effect wont be the same. What do you think? Have you heard of it being taken in one single dose a day?

The synic in me thinks it is a cost saving tactic.I think I read somewhere it costs less to do it this way.

Now I am worried!!!

Loreen x

It is a cost cutting thing. The BNF explicitly states 2-3 times a day the reason for this is due to its short half life.

Get back to you GP and sort it out. I am happy to print screen the page, and email it to you if you require.

I would refuse to take a single 300mg tablet.

Regards
Dan

Generalised anxiety disorder, adult over 18 years, initially 150 mg daily in 2–3 divided doses, increased if necessary at 7-day intervals in steps of 150 mg daily; max. 600 mg daily in 2–3 divided doses

loreen
27-03-12, 15:03
Thank you for your advice Dan.

Just been to see the GP. Mine wasn't available,but managed to get a decent one!!

He was very nice and said my dose should be 150mg twice a day.

I am happy with that. Had loads of print off evidence to back me up,but it wasn't necessary. It even states on the leaflet in with the meds it should be taken 2 or 3 times a day!

Alot of stress for me .I don't do confrontation,so the very fact I managed it on my own is a big thing for me.

Thank you again Dan

Loreen x

dan1234
27-03-12, 19:06
Hi,

Good news! I'm pleased that you managed to sort it out. Thanks for the advice on the duloxetine thread, I will increase my dose.

ElizabethJane
03-05-12, 19:19
Hi I have just started pregabalin today for my back pain. I am taking 25mg twice a day which is a very low dose. I am very aware of side effects and slept all the afternoon. I'm still experiencing the back pain as the pregabalin has not had time to build up in my body. Does this mean I have to avoid alcohol completely not that I want any? EJ

dan1234
03-05-12, 21:36
Hi I have just started pregabalin today for my back pain. I am taking 25mg twice a day which is a very low dose. I am very aware of side effects and slept all the afternoon. I'm still experiencing the back pain as the pregabalin has not had time to build up in my body. Does this mean I have to avoid alcohol completely not that I want any? EJ

Hiya - just my opinion but 25mg is a far too low dose for back pain. I think it should be 150mg/d. Pregabalin hasn't really helped my back pain, but helped with nerve pain.

Duloxetine is licenced in the states for back pain, and has helped me a lot. Pregabalin helps with anxiety though. Pregabalin doesn't take too long to work either. It is not like anti depressants which take ages....

I hope I am proved wrong and that 50mg/d helps you.

Dan

ElizabethJane
03-05-12, 22:17
Hi Dan thanks for your input. I think that the idea is to increase the dose of pregabalin slowly depending on how much I can tolerate. I think it is for short term only. I had a disastrous time on duloxetine. I persevered with it for about five weeks but I was vomiting at night and getting up and falling down straight away because I was so dizzy. I had high hopes for it as an alternative to mirtazapine but Dr J took me straight off it. I was seriously depressed in those days and on a heady cocktail of lithium, dothiepin, mirtazapine and duloxetine as well. It was good to come off the dothiepin but I stayed on the mirtazapine for depression. I'm just going to give the pregabalin a go and am grateful that there is something else to try. If the lower dose works then I'm happy to stay on that. I'm so sensitive to everything I've just got to take it very slowly.EJ

Dom1991
11-02-17, 06:34
Hi, I have just started taking pregabilin twice a day 75mg for anxiety. I think it's a low dose but it has been giving me flu like symptoms e.g. Massive headaches, pains, shivers etc. Did anyone else find this? How long did it take to subside?

skymaid
13-02-17, 01:01
No heard of those symptoms as side effects. Maybe you got unlucky and actually got the flu or a cold when you started it.

Preg is meant to give the least side effects of anxiety medication and is usually very well tolerate (just made me a little wobbly and sleepy at first).

It does say on the lyrica/pregabalin site its not for everyone so if you're experiencing severe side effects definitely contact your doctor.

Hope it works for you. It's got me back to something close to a normal life within 3 months of slowly working up to maximum dose.