PDA

View Full Version : Hello.

FakePlasticTrees
26-03-12, 13:56
I'm writing this as a sort of therapy as much as to introduce myself. Apologies if it goes on a bit.

I'm a 29 year old male from the middle of England. I consider myself to have been dealing with an anxiety issue for around 5 years now. I don't feel I fall into a specific category, I can have health, social or generalised. I've never been diagnosed by a doctor and have never been on medication. The only person that knows is my partner. I would love to tell my friends and family but feel almost embarrassed to have this. I used to be very outgoing and confident and just cannot face the thought of telling people whats happening. I have become a master at the art of Pulling a Brave Face. I know I am fortunate in the fact that I would say I have moderate anxiety, and not severe like so many others. I can get by in day to day life but it does have an impact. I am in a good relationship and thankfully she's patient and although doesn't understand what it's like to be like this, is able to accommodate me and try to understand.
I believe I kicked something off in my brain when I quit cannabis in 2007. Please don't judge me on that, I wasn't the stereotypical 'stoner', I smoked on my own and just watched movies or listened to music. After quitting, I went through a dreadful spell of around 6 months in which I had very bad migraines, and consequently panic attacks. I'm pleased to say I've been migraine and panic attack free for a number of years now however. Now I deal with a range of other physical symptoms. I believe I have visual disturbances in relation. These include after-images, visual snow and just simply a heightened sense of noticing all visual anomalies. I believe my gastrointestinal system is affected, I regularly have stomach pains at time of worry and during any social activities. Even things like meeting friends, my stomach will start bubbling and gurgling and I feel the need to go much more, an embarrassing and inconvenient trait which I wish I could cure. I get dizzy spells which I believe are related, I now have a motion problem, for example lifts and elevators make my head spin as I step off, and plane journeys are the same, with a flight to America affecting my balance for a good week after landing. The aches, the pains, the constant thoughts that race through my mind, just the general manifestations that build up to form this little monster that's inside us all. And, perhaps most annoying for me, is the impact its had on my confidence and self-esteem. I'm not the fun-loving person that I was and long to be. I'm angry that these feelings have hindered some of what could have been the most enjoyable of my life, years I will never get back.
But, positively, I can happily leave the house with usually no problems, I can still have a good time and laugh with my friends and partner, my sleep is relatively unaffected and I wouldn't say I am unhappy, just hampered by this mental condition that affects so many. I hope I can learn to live with this and live life freely at some point in the not so distant future and actually look forward to events like my wedding day, which at the present I fear.
So, nice to meet you all, it's a wonderful thing to have a community like this where you can speak to others in the same position, without fear of being judged, and if I can help anyone in any way I will. Thank you to the moderators who keep the site and forum running, and thank you to all the people who are able to offer words of courage to those in need, as many times reassurance is as good as medication to an anxious individual.

Thanks.

nomorepanic
26-03-12, 13:57
Hi FakePlasticTrees

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Stormsky
26-03-12, 14:12
Hi
Firstly nothing to be embarressed about... they say anxiety/panic afflicts someone who has been strong for too long...
Its great you have an understanding partner too, we all need at least one person who is on our side!
I personally feel smoking canabis can cause the start of anx (i smoked it myself years ago)
Your symptons are common ina nxiety...ive had them all at one point or another...
its good you go out, you should 'live like you dont have the condition'
Youll get lots of support on here...so welcome !

FakePlasticTrees
26-03-12, 14:25
Hi
Firstly nothing to be embarressed about... they say anxiety/panic afflicts someone who has been strong for too long...
Its great you have an understanding partner too, we all need at least one person who is on our side!
I personally feel smoking canabis can cause the start of anx (i smoked it myself years ago)
Your symptons are common ina nxiety...ive had them all at one point or another...
its good you go out, you should 'live like you dont have the condition'
Youll get lots of support on here...so welcome !

Hello Stormsky,

Many thanks for your message. You are my first friend here :)
Your words are reassuring, knowing that you to have suffered with some of the problems I face. That in itself is comforting.

Thanks for the very kind welcome.

Stormsky
26-03-12, 14:38
you welcome-
you are much like me, i dont take meds, i have a great hubby, i do go out and enjoy things still...
Its the alone time in your head thats destructive!

snowgoose
26-03-12, 14:42
Hi :welcome:

Nice to meet you too . We are a friendly and helpful family .
And defo not judgemental .
You say you have not spoken to doctor about this and I wonder if some CBT therapy would help you hugely . Might be worth going along to gp and having a chat .
There are lots of tools in the tool box to help the anx symptoms .......abdominal breathing I find is my saviour a lot
Vitamin B and dietary changes some find helpful ......exercise
Some take meds and others dont .........you will find a wide variety of expertise and understanding here so post away .
you are not alone ....all ages and both sexes in equal number .
take care
snow xx

FakePlasticTrees
26-03-12, 14:57
you welcome-
you are much like me, i dont take meds, i have a great hubby, i do go out and enjoy things still...
Its the alone time in your head thats destructive!

Yes, I can definitely relate to that. I find hangovers now are pretty much unbearable, with anxious thoughts. So much so that I only drink on special occasions now.

I'm so pleased you manage to enjoy things still, I guess we're lucky in that respect, I have so much sympathy for those that are affected much more detrimentally.

Hi :welcome:

Nice to meet you too . We are a friendly and helpful family .
And defo not judgemental .
You say you have not spoken to doctor about this and I wonder if some CBT therapy would help you hugely . Might be worth going along to gp and having a chat .
There are lots of tools in the tool box to help the anx symptoms .......abdominal breathing I find is my saviour a lot
Vitamin B and dietary changes some find helpful ......exercise
Some take meds and others dont .........you will find a wide variety of expertise and understanding here so post away .
you are not alone ....all ages and both sexes in equal number .
take care
snow xx

Hi snow,

Thanks for your message. I often think of seeing my GP regarding this, but I think I'm quite old fashioned in the old cliche of a man having trouble opening up about such an issue. I've read about CBT and believe one day I may venture down this route. It appeals to me more than meds. I've always wanted to succeed and get better on my own, which I know is selfish, but I think is just the way I'm programmed. I have had countless trips to pharmacies and health food stores over the years, even driving much further out of town to go to a different store as I worry people will think I'm crazy if I keep going back. I take peppermint for my stomach which I think helps. Exercise leaves me with a strange, weak kind of feeling where I get thoughts of passing out or having a heart attack, I intend to try and override this however as I know the benefits of even gentle exertion.

Thanks again for your reply :)

Pipkin
26-03-12, 18:14
Hi FPT and a big, warm :welcome:

No judgements here - we're all here to support each other. I too hate discussing my anxiety with my GP but I took the plunge and am pleased I did. They see these symptoms regularly and most are very understanding. Worth a thought?

In the meantime, keep posting on here and share your experiences. I'm sure you'll find us all a friendly bunch and will find it really helpful.

Take care

Pip