PDA

View Full Version : Work issues-Anyone had this before?

Mick081081
26-03-12, 16:17
Hi everyone, just seeing if anyone else has had any trouble with this before. I set up a business with my friend 3.5 years ago which has been going well. I've been off work for 5 weeks after a bad turn while I started taking meds which gave me bad side effects and trying to get myself better to return ASAP. I received a phone call from my partner last night saying he is going his own way from now on! WTF! I'm not gonna let it get me back down to where I was 6 weeks ago but this has come as quite a shock to not only me but most people I know. Anyone out there been treat like this before? I'm still trying to get my head round it????

Em84
26-03-12, 17:25
Hi

That's terrible....luckily I went into my Dads company so he is always more sympathetic with regards to me....

First of all, do you have a contract between yourselves? I can't believe your friend and partner would just walk away...you must have some kind of rights...

Xxx

Stormsky
26-03-12, 17:29
Im sure he cant just cut you out, unless the business is all in his name?
People have alot more time off than that for illness, so you have some rights surely.
Depends on what contracts you have in place... Still not nice of anyone to do this though, especially a friend.

Mick081081
26-03-12, 17:36
Thanks for replying, Talk about kick a dog while it's down. It's a 50/50 limited company so I'm equal in all aspects. The jist I got (on the phone might i add) was we are closing it and splitting the cash/ assets. Problem being though I deal with the commercial side of things while he deals with the domestic side. Guess I'm just gonna get kicked out the door and he'll carry on with our business contacts while I'm hung out to dry. Funny old world especially when you think you know someone 100% then out of the blue a knife in the back when you are at your lowest ever anyway. Not gonna let it destroy me though just slightly miffed I mean I haven't got a contagious disease or anything and never been on the sick before. Oh well upwards and onwards as they say. Thanks.

Stormsky
26-03-12, 17:43
Think you should have a sit down and chat about this with him... sounds a bit drastic what he is doing... is there something else causing it maybe... cant believe its just because you are off ill?
Can you not start off on your own too? using the commercial contacts?? you have as much right to continue if you want to as well.

Em84
26-03-12, 17:49
Defo...your 50/50...,carry on!

You have the experience of setting up a business..I know how hard it it at first, I owned a cafe and unfortunately I had to close it due to profits etc etc...as above have a chat with him...if it is 100% then sit down and figure out a plan.
You can use the money from the sale of your present company and even work from home for the first few months. I don't know what business you are in but maybe hire a friend on a day to day basis to do the domestic side.

My father does this with me, he gets the jobs...hires me to clean car parks, commercial properties and deal with the paperwork....it works for me and for him.

He makes all the money but I aprieciate the work....

Xxx

Mick081081
26-03-12, 17:53
Thanks for the advice, I was on my own before and we merged as one company so we had a broader range to work within. Think with the economic downturn and the strength we've grown with in the domestic side he's thinking he'd be better off alone again and I know from the guys who work for us that he thinks I've been taking the proverbial having time off, shame I hadn't broken my leg then at least there would be a visual sign of pain. Stigma seems to attach itself whenever you mention mental illness most people don't get it on bit. Maybe the thought is I'm broken so no good anymore and will just hold things up. Got a meeting later in the week so will soon find out I guess. Just so peeved off and want some answers. Thanks.

Em84
26-03-12, 17:58
Good luck with the meeting, let us know how it goes....people will never understand what we go through...when I was younger my mum was on Prozac and suffered with OCD she still does....I used to think she was talking rubbish and never really got it.

I don't think anyone will ever understand unless they ever go through it themselves.

Xx

Mick081081
26-03-12, 18:09
Thanks everyone I appreciate the comments, I'll post back after we've met up later in the week. Makes me more determined to beat this illness now as need to get back to doing a job I enjoy. People are so shallow I guess an it's taught me a valuable lesson about trusting others. Thanks again.

Stormsky
26-03-12, 18:26
They say you find out who your friends when the chips are down... obviously he isnt a true friend... and perhaps not comfortable or big enough to try and help you through a tough time..

Mick081081
26-03-12, 18:31
True Stormsky, I've got some good mates and a family who've been really supportive. Least I know who to turn to when the sh*t hits the fan anytime again. This is a great website with nice understanding people on it and I'm so glad I stumbled across it weeks ago. Thanks everyone.

Stormsky
26-03-12, 18:34
Its his loss.. it says alot about him, and good to find out who you cant rely on , ie HIM

kinnygirl1
26-03-12, 19:09
So sorry to hear this - I agree with the others that people who haven't been through something like this could never understand what you have been through. I know they couldn't do this to you if you were employed by a company by I guess its different if you are self employed. Don't let this set you back.

Mick081081
26-03-12, 19:29
Thanks everyone, Guess everything happens for a reason but as the old saying goes 'What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger'. It's funny the situations you can find yourself in sometimes, no doubt in a few years I'll look back at this point in my life and think of it as a real harse learning curve but one that made me a better/ stronger person for going through it. Probably a good thing this has happened to me as makes you sit and think about what is really important in life! It's not the rush rush rush money money money, it's the people you have with you along the way and the chance to actually stop and appreciate everything in this world instead of rushing on by past it and never even noticing that it existed! Thanks everyone if I can ever help you out give me a shout. All the best.

mikewales
26-03-12, 19:44
What you do need to do is get some good legal advice. With a limited company it isn't as simple as just closing down and re-opening again, or saying 'this bit is mine, this is yours'.

If you are equal partners, then you both own ALL assets equally, this includes obvious things like stock, vehicles machinery etc... but also contacts and customer lists are an asset, as are the company name, goodwill etc... You also need to sort out anything like loans, lease agreements, rental contracts for premises.

It may work out better if he just resigns as a director and you continue to run the company under the same name etc.. rather than closing it and both starting new ones.

From your partners side, does he understand why you have needed the time off ? I can understand if he thought you were skiving, leaving him to cover your side of the work as this would annoy anyone, so maybe a sit down over a couple of pints and explain it all to him in detail so he can understand what you have been going through a bit more ?

Mick081081
26-03-12, 20:06
Cheers Mike,

Gonna ring the accountant tomorrow and see what he suggests. I explained everything to him and he could see me struggling but obviously thought I was taking the P. I want to be as amicable as possible but won't be walked over. Crazy thing is he was a really good friend sending me supportive texts and calling everyday so at a loss as to what's made this happen but will be asking that exact question. Thanks for the advice appreciate it.

Groundhog
28-03-12, 18:56
Hi
I have formed, run an sold three businesses. The very first one I formed with a partner, we had a fall out after about three months so I bought him out, never since then did I even contemplated having a partner and never would again (if I started another business - which is unlikely now) Might be just me but working with a partner just did not suit.

Mick081081
28-03-12, 19:07
Hi Groundhog,
Thanks for the advice I set a new company up today so back to being on my own with no-one to answer to or ask if I can do this or that maybe it'll be for the best in the long run. I used to enjoy the freedom before we merged anyway and managed ok then so will see what the future brings. I've still got my brain (well what's left of it after this episode) and I'm still the same person I was before this happened to me so guess it can't be all bad.

Thanks,

Mick.