PDA

View Full Version : A [better?] world without internet...

AaronB
26-03-12, 20:08
Does anyone else sometimes wonder if we would all feel better if we didn't have the internet?

I've been thinking, sometimes I come on here, and I feel better, because other people know and more importantly understand, what I'm going through. However there are times, that I read through the posts and I start to think "oh, yeah I have that symptom too" and then start thinking about it and catastrophising all over again! :blush:

Then I think about "Dr Google" and how bloody unhelpful he's been throughout my anxiety. Don't get me wrong there are times where he's helped, like finding this place, and watching anxiety related videos, but it's the fact that at the click of a mouse, I can develop all manner or horrible illnesses.

If I didn't have the internet, I wouldn't be able to do that, wouldn't be able to self diagnose, would HAVE to pretty much rely on the diagnosis' of my GP etc etc...

Anyone else feel like that sometimes?

In the past month I have managed to self diagnose, lung cancer, brain tumour, and meningitus!! It's laughable, but oh so real for us too...

The internet, not entirely, but in part, has played a large part in all of them.

What do you guys think?

jaynehal
26-03-12, 20:11
Dr google is my worst nightmare but I'm managaing to keep away, before Christmas I was in tears every night, self diagnosing, and convinced myself I had weeks to live, health anxiety is bad and I agree if we didn't have Internet we would prob be loads better, my doc hates it when I say I've been on the Internet! Xx

Mick081081
26-03-12, 20:28
So true Aaron, The Internet can be a scary place at times and Dr Google should be renamed Dr Don't look at me if you have anxiety problems! It's really hard to not to try and self diagnose I convinced myself I had a brain tumour and off I went panicking away googling this and that but my symptoms also matched 500 other horrible illnesses out there and the vicious cycle began. I'm sticking to this place from now on as full of decent caring people who will help you out and put you at ease.

A world without Internet- Hmmmmmmm! How would we ever win the quiz in the pub without our trusty iPhones to cheat with-lol!

Take it easy.

Mick.

Julianne
26-03-12, 21:02
I don't agree. Without the internet you would not have found us all here and that would have been a real shame since this site can give you untold help and support.

The internet has some dark secrets and its own hell but there is another side to it too, maybe you should look to the good side of it and not the bad hey?

Kind wishes

little.miss.worry
26-03-12, 21:08
Yes and no... the internet can be a great place and also very bad for us anxiety sufferers..sometimes for me i wish it didn't exist because when i have anxiety really bad i Google my symptoms and it comes up i have cancer or something when i haven't! and then its good because of this site...knowing your not alone and you can talk to others about their experiences and it can give you alot of reassurance:) My doctor told me not to Google because half of the medical stuff isn't even true and doesn't relate to you because every person is different!

AaronB
26-03-12, 21:48
I don't agree. Without the internet you would not have found us all here and that would have been a real shame since this site can give you untold help and support.

The internet has some dark secrets and its own hell but there is another side to it too, maybe you should look to the good side of it and not the bad hey?

Kind wishes

Hi Julianne,

I think you may have misinterpreted my post, I did in fact mention the rather jekyll and hyde nature of the internet and did say one of the good points was finding this site, its not all bad I do realise that!

Was more of a post to get us thinking of when we didn't have the internet and therefore couldn't get us self diagnosing so quickly...

xvolatileheart
26-03-12, 23:00
I've been thinking, sometimes I come on here, and I feel better, because other people know and more importantly understand, what I'm going through. However there are times, that I read through the posts and I start to think "oh, yeah I have that symptom too" and then start thinking about it and catastrophising all over again! :blush:

That's exactly how I feel. It's a double edged sword - the internet both helps me and makes things worse!

Stormsky
26-03-12, 23:04
rather have it than not....