PDA

View Full Version : Im 21 and I have been to the hospital 3 times this year

ieatboost
27-03-12, 01:56
Hi everyone this is my first thread post.

Im 21 one years old, i believe i have severe anxiety.
I always think im going to die. i wake up everyday and wonder if its my last.
I have a girlfriend who i love more than anything and we do amazing.
This year i have been hospitalized three times with panic attacks, all ekgs and chest scans are fine but i still worry. I always get arm pain and chest pain and i always see stars in my eyes.

I was taking buspars and now i have been prescribed celexa. i havent started it yet due to being hesitant of its side effects.

Im just looking for advice on what i might need to do or try and get ahold of my life again :weep:

Jess4
27-03-12, 16:33
Hi,

When my anxiety first started I was in the ER 4 times in 2 months. It's scary when you don't know what's happening. I have the chest pains with the arm pains too. All my tests have been normal.

It all started a year a 4 months ago and it still happens but you start to learn what's going on. You shouldn't fight the panic attack, just accept it's happening and I've noticed they go quicker!

A lot of, if not all my chest pain is caused by reflux/heartburn and tension. It's AMAZING what kind of pain your stomach can cause.

Just know you're not alone and you will get through it. In the beginning, I always felt like each day was my last and now I don't think that way as much. Don't get me wrong, I still have some attacks but its MUCH better!

Hang in there,
Jessica :)

Meewah
30-03-12, 19:21
Hi Jess

I dont think the reflux is making terrible pain its just that our listening to our bodies has got much louder. Does that make sense? Any small ache or pain and I think the worse. We have to learn how to take control again and put the aches and pains to the back of our minds. Acceptance is the best way as long as you truly believe it is just anxiety/reflux then you will get through this until the next ache and pain comes along that is.

Mee

Jay72
31-03-12, 01:09
Hi mate, I have been there too. It's horrible, I can only talk about myself here as I ain't a doc but I kinda agree with Jess. Don't fight or be worried about a panic attack. Try at least once to just go with it and experience it.

You are not in danger but by being scared of it happening, you can potentially create a phobia. Once you tackle them and realise you are ok, then you understand em more. Good luck, x Jay

ieatboost
11-04-12, 02:17
Thank you guys for all you posts, does anybody have any techniques i can try. its easy for people to say accept the panic and it will go, but what ways can i accept. it may sound dumb i know, but still :blush:

Michael45
11-04-12, 14:09
I have been to the hospital due to my anxiety disorder and I was on a barrage of medications. I spent about 2 months in a psychiatric hospital wondering if I'd ever be considered normal. My anxiety disorder and depression are now mostly controlled by my routine life style. I still have to do things that can increase anxiety .. like pay bills... lol. But I ensure my day has at least one or two things I like.... Like doing a sudoku puzzle and/or listening to music.
Try to find something in your life you like doing and do it each day... even if its only for a short time... 5 or 10 minutes... Music I like especially. I can listen to music while I do something I don't particularly like... like paying bills:winks:. I hope this may help a bit. Regards, Michael45

Rushway
11-04-12, 14:37
I was reluctant to start the Celexa(Citalopram) but after the first couple of weeks (bit rough), it was all worth it...they help to put you on a stable, rational thought platform again in order to start thinking straight..I'd suggest giving them a go...

xvolatileheart
11-04-12, 18:58
Just wanted to say you are definitely not alone. I'm 23 years old and in the same boat. Everyday, all I can think about is my heart and I'm terrified I'm going to drop dead. I'm learning to cope with the symptoms better so that they don't go into full blown panic attacks, but it's not easy when you still think there's something actually wrong!

I agree with Meewah that we have become hypersensitive to every bodily sensation. Sometimes it helps me to stop and focus on the source of my discomfort and try to rationally decide if it's that bad. For instance, if I have chest pain, I think "is this chest pain strong enough to be a heart attack?" or if I feel like I can't catch my breath, I think "am I really not getting air in?" The answer is no, so I remind myself that it's just anxiety causing the symptoms.

It's a daily challenge but we'll get there eventually.

disco2195
11-04-12, 23:07
first thing - you're not alone!
I would try the medication and see how you go on them, if they dont help then go back andd see your doctor. Definately see if you can get some form of counselling, not sure what they offer in the US, though hypnotherapy really helped me as well. Just remember you're not alone and there are always people here who can help you out...