PDA

View Full Version : Is my anxiety open to drug treatment?

Firehead
27-03-12, 16:53
I’ve been reading-up and I think that my problems of anxiety/depression(?) consist in:

“Taking everything to heart” (I don’t know the word for this!)
Perfectionism
Low self-esteem

I think (I don't really remember) that either I was criticised heavily by my elder brother or (and?) my mother’s fearfulness (originating, I imagine, in her disability and fear of having no-one to look after her) caused me to develop a poor self-image.

This lack of personal-power generated my overly-critical, arrogant and sarcastic younger-self as a protective shield. Somehow, this persona moved into perfectionism for “additional protection”, ironically(!) Of course, “if one is perfect then one cannot be criticised!”

This manifests itself in my exacting attention to detail in all that I do. This sounds good but actually thwarts my attempts to achieve goals because there is never enough time. I cannot abide my own errors (although I am quite for giving of those made by others) and must correct or erase them before anyone sees. Indeed, I am known for never making a mistake!

My feelings of self-worth seem to be caught-up in an over-powering reliance on how I am perceived. I “take to heart” the sensations of inadequacy that my failure to be perfect creates and I experience the stress of being unable to control the world sufficiently to guarantee perfection.

These “failures” and stresses then give force to the creation of a poor self-image because I can’t actually live-up to the perfect ideal. This pitiable lack of self esteem destroys my confidence thereby making “failure” more likely! Therefore, I must “withdraw from the world”, take no risks and do nothing if I can’t do it perfectly.

May I ask two things please?

Is this journey only mine?
Is this the sort of thing that can be cured by drugs?

ems73
27-03-12, 17:27
Personally I would say that CBT/counselling may be a bit more suitable for you. CBT can be tricky to get on the NHS but if money is an issue there are some great self-help CBT books out there. "Mind Over Mood" is good.

I think the issues you've described are very similar to things experienced by some people who have anxiety problems. However, if you aren't experiencing debilitating depression or bad adrenaline rushes/panic attacks then you may not need to resort to medication.

You don't want this to get worse though so it's great that you've recognised that you have a few issues and want to get things sorted out.

hoshi
27-03-12, 19:02
guy, that sounds like the story of my life. i mean word for word that could not be more similar to my own experiences!

so in that respect i'm afraid i don't really have an answer for you- i've yet to overcome all of these problems myself still, but i would say that as Ems73 said, CBT counselling can be really, really beneficial. and if you feel that depression or other anxiety symptoms caused by these problems is becoming too much to cope with, as i did, then medication could be an option also, but it seems as though it's much more to do with issues that need to be worked through than simply enhancing your mood.

kittikat
27-03-12, 19:22
What an interesting post. Reading between the lines this could be me. Perfection, always having to be 'in contro'l, sensitive, low self esteem.....etc, etc.

I believe I was only depressed once many years ago after my marriage broke up, but I have been anxious to a certain extent all my life. Perfectionism for “additional protection”, ironically in me is to 'be prepared for whatever life may throw at you and then you won't be hurt' that is my defense mechanism. Some may view me as coldhearted and I have been called 'The Ice Queen'. But it's just for self protection.

This journey is most certainly not yours alone. Talk to your GP. Maybe some counselling or CBT could benefit you. Drugs are not always the answer. Take care of yourself :hugs: Kitti x

blueangel
28-03-12, 09:19
Something I would add is that drugs cannot "cure" anxiety or depression. Sure, they can relieve the symptoms, which for some people is a critical part of their recovery, but they can't treat the cause of it, which is something that people have to address for themselves.

Anxiety and depression have a number of causes - often, it's started off by a specific event, like bereavement, or divorce, or being made redundant. For a lot of people though, there often isn't one specific cause and this is more difficult to deal with as it can be triggered by lots of things.

Firehead
28-03-12, 09:56
Thank you all very much. What a fabulous collection of kind and helpful people!

I did have an episode of depression about five years ago. I had the usual drugs but could discern no effect from them. I've been having psychotherapy for four years and now understand the causes of my problems. A very expensive fact-finding mission!

However, I still succumb to severe anxiety at times (e.g. now) and what I think may be minor panic attacks although the latter are short-lived and go away by themselves, as it were.

So, I decided to find some answers, some SOLUTIONS for myself. This wasn't really working until recently. Now I feel that I must "take charge" of myself, interrupt limiting thoughts, etc., etc. I must say that it is working, a bit!

Basically, what my kind friends herein are saying is that drugs may assist but will not cure?

hoshi
28-03-12, 19:32
i think that's the general gist Firehead, but we're always open to more questions should you be in need :) :hugs: