PDA

View Full Version : Ugh...

pineapplegoddess
28-03-12, 01:08
Does anyone ever just feel like no one understands why we're suffering from Depression, Anxiety and other symptoms? Most days when I have an emotional breakdown, no one seems to get it, they just tell me that I'm going crazy.

My sisters don't try to communicate with me and my brother is constantly trying to push his religion on me.

I'm not one to brag or try for attention but sometimes feeling invisible really makes me wonder if I'm even alive.

I wonder if I even belong in my family, does anyone feel like the black sheep in their family? I sure do.

Friends tell me that they care but where are they...am I even entitled to be a little upset that my own friends, who I've thought cared about me, are ignoring me?

Should I even be complaining?
All I hear from everyone is get over it but it's so hard to just forget about it, when my life is spiraling down...

Molly28
28-03-12, 09:03
Hey pineapplegoddess (amazing name!).
I completely understand you. I've learnt that it's very hard for other people to understand, some people think a hug should be able to cure everything, or likein your brothers case, religion.
I've been through the extremes of other people, some trying too hard to fix everything, others getting angry and calling me an attention seeker.
It's all down to you. I know that is easier sdaid than done, but for example, if you want to turn to religion because of the depression and anxiety, that is your personal choice, no one should try and force their views onto you.
Try explaining to people what YOU think you need, be it jsut a hug or jsut to talk it out.
Please message me whenever need be, I check up on here regularly so it won't take long for me to get back to you.
Wishing you all the best :) xx

Stormsky
28-03-12, 10:00
Some people find it awkward to deal with a friend who suffers depression/anx.. they dont understand it and dont know what to do or say... some find it an uncomfortable subject...
have a read on this. advise for family etc....
http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/advice_to_partners.html

paula lynne
28-03-12, 10:10
I think its so hard for others to understand. I dont even understand it myself!
I guess if they read about it, it will help them understand what you go through. Certainly for my husband, its been upsetting for him to see me go through it and he feels useless, because he cant "fix me".

You arent going crazy, and its cruel of people to say you are. If you are taking meds, maybe its worth going to see your doctor if you feel as you do? 1 in 3 people suffer with some form of anxiety/depression, it may be worth reminding your family of that!

You arent alone, keep posting xxxx

Firehead
28-03-12, 10:11
I am sorry to admit that I used to be one of those who thought that psychological problems weren't real and that people just needed to "pull themselves together!" Then I crashed into depression myself.

When I look back at my old self, it wasn't that I was uncaring, I just didn't understand. It's easy to empathise with physical pain because we've all had it. Our sort of pain can be difficult for others to understand if they have not had it or have not admitted to themselves that they have.

So, what I'm saying is that maybe some of the people around you do care but don't really "get it". Is that possible?

pineapplegoddess
28-03-12, 17:54
Hey pineapplegoddess (amazing name!).
I completely understand you. I've learnt that it's very hard for other people to understand, some people think a hug should be able to cure everything, or likein your brothers case, religion.
I've been through the extremes of other people, some trying too hard to fix everything, others getting angry and calling me an attention seeker.
It's all down to you. I know that is easier sdaid than done, but for example, if you want to turn to religion because of the depression and anxiety, that is your personal choice, no one should try and force their views onto you.
Try explaining to people what YOU think you need, be it jsut a hug or jsut to talk it out.
Please message me whenever need be, I check up on here regularly so it won't take long for me to get back to you.
Wishing you all the best :) xx

Thanks for the response and I'll be sure to take your advice, of course I have already expressed what I want but it doesn't seem to sink into their heads. It's just good to find people out there who honestly do understand and don't hesitate to write me if you need to talk either. :D

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

@ Stormsky thanks for the link, I'll watch it immediately!

@Paula lynne Thanks

@Firehead It could be possible that they do care but in my mind, they don't because countless times, I've opened up and tried to tell them what was wrong. In my opinion, if they actually cared, then they would sit down and listen to why I feel so icky about myself. Sometimes I wonder if I was even born into the right family, I totally don't fit in with any of them.

Julianne
28-03-12, 22:54
Hi pg,

Yes, you are quite right!

Few people understand depression, anxiety and related issues and in this age of fast this and instant that, few people have the patience or empathy to spend real time with those who are anxious and depressed. Looking at it from their angle however, it is not easy being in the company of depressed and anxious people so maybe we should not expect the earth from them.

You have found this site now and can talk to others who share the same problem and will listen and empathise and try to help, as I am doing now this evening, so it is a step in the right direction don't you think?

You mention having more than one emotional breakdown and you seem quite troubled so maybe it is time to see your GP and talk this over, maybe it is time for medication.

You will find that when you can show the people who reject you that you are taking steps to help your problems, that they will start to see things in a different light. For now try not to let them worry you and at the same time try to understand that they might be finding it very difficult to know how to respond to you.

I hope this helps,

with kindness and love

pineapplegoddess
29-03-12, 01:01
Hi pg,

Yes, you are quite right!

Few people understand depression, anxiety and related issues and in this age of fast this and instant that, few people have the patience or empathy to spend real time with those who are anxious and depressed. Looking at it from their angle however, it is not easy being in the company of depressed and anxious people so maybe we should not expect the earth from them.

You have found this site now and can talk to others who share the same problem and will listen and empathise and try to help, as I am doing now this evening, so it is a step in the right direction don't you think?

You mention having more than one emotional breakdown and you seem quite troubled so maybe it is time to see your GP and talk this over, maybe it is time for medication.

You will find that when you can show the people who reject you that you are taking steps to help your problems, that they will start to see things in a different light. For now try not to let them worry you and at the same time try to understand that they might be finding it very difficult to know how to respond to you.

I hope this helps,

with kindness and love

I do feel that being on this site and talking with others who go through the same issues as I, is helping me a little more. Sadly I'm already on medication but I think talking with my GP would help, I just have such a hard time explaining what's going in my head without feeling like they are laughing on the inside at me. Does that even make sense?

I gladly appreciate your advice and it does help a bit, thank you!

Julianne
29-03-12, 20:40
I do feel that being on this site and talking with others who go through the same issues as I, is helping me a little more. Sadly I'm already on medication but I think talking with my GP would help, I just have such a hard time explaining what's going in my head without feeling like they are laughing on the inside at me. Does that even make sense?

I gladly appreciate your advice and it does help a bit, thank you!

Hello again PG,

No, for sure they will not be laughing at you, but to think that they will be is all a part of the illness you are suffering with. Put those thoughts aside and since you realise that talking with your GP will help, make an appointment in the morning and talk it through with him/her.

You will get there, this will not last forever.

With kindness and compassion :noangel:

pineapplegoddess
30-03-12, 05:42