PDA

View Full Version : New and looking for advice

Sp
28-03-12, 16:14
Hi,

I have never posted on a forum before but i guess there is a first time for everything! I have never considered myself to be the worrying type but have had a pretty rough six months and am begining to wonder if its due to anxiety.

It all started in November when out of the blue i started needing to go to the toilet frequently, I am a otherwise fit young man with no other health concerns, married with a young family. This need to urinate lasted for a few weeks and the GP ruled out anything serious and put it down to a virus. I must admit I did worry that it may be more serious and focused on it more than I should have done.

After a few weeks I developed transient pain that would present in various parts of my body, my ribs felt tender as if they were bruised and the rest of my body ached. I put it down to the virus and tried to forget about it but all the time had a nagging feeling that it was something serious, for want of a better description I just felt something very bad was going to happen. At the same time my usually unbreakable sleep patterns became erratic and I would wake every few hours, I lost my appetite and had a constant sick feeling. I became unable to concentrate on my work and started checking the internet for possible causes (dangerous I Know). My wife told me I had lost all intertest and enthusiasm and had become difficult to live with but was/is very supportive and positive.
It came to a head and one weekend I just broke down in tears, this lasted all weekend, I just felt scared and was convinced i was having a breakdown.

By January my symptoms had begun to change, I would constantly wake with pins and needles in my hands and arms/feet and had the constant feeling of dread from the moment I woke. My face would go numb down the left side and my eye would itch constantly. I developed muscle twitching in my eyes, thigh and calfs that lasted on and off all day everyday. My muscles felt weak and I would shake while doing the simplest of tasks. My legs felt like they would give way at any minuite and my balance was terrible. My fear went into overdrive at this point and I became pre occupied with the thought that i has MS (a thought that I find very difficult to shift). I became aware or every strange feeling in my body that I could attribute to this and it occupied every waking moment.

At the moment all my muscles feel tense and bruised, I twitch on and off all day. I shake and feel weak when I perform the most simple physical tasks (not helped by the fact I have a very physical job). I have discussed my concerns with my GP who has diagnosed me with CFS/ME although I don't agree as fatigue is not my overwhelming symptom. He wants me to leave it a few months and see how I get on and didn't seem concerned at any point even with all the symptoms I presented. I must admit to not having done any exercise over the last year and understand that can have an effect, my diet could also be better but I am in good physical shape. I was very fit I fell walked, ran and did circuits and played squash.

I have never had a panic attack or a problem with anxiety I have alway been very happy and active. Over the last six months I feel like a different person and I feel this fear has taken over me. I dont want to waste the best years of my life worrying about something that I probably don't have but don't see how I can get out of this situation I have found myself in. I guess I question if anxiety can take hold like this and last so long and be so impacting?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

diane07
28-03-12, 16:17
Hi Sp

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

paula lynne
28-03-12, 16:36
Welcome to the forum :welcome:Would it help to know Ive suffered from EVERY single one of your symptoms? I suspect a lot of forum members have too. You arent alone.

You sound a bit depressed if Im honest. Do you accept your ME diagnosis from your Gp, or do you think because you dont suffer with extreme fatigue that you dont have it? What does your Gp say about the way you are feeling?

If fatigue doesnt hold you back so much, I wonder if you could start a gentle exercise regime? Symptoms of depression and anxiety often go hand in hand, and exercise has been enormously beneficial for a lot of people. The feelings of dread, and especially those of shaking and pins and needles and facial numbness are certainly symptoms/sensations that are included in General Anxiety Disorder, did your Gp mention that? You dont need to have actual "panic/anxiety attacks" to suffer from anxiety.

I feel for you, Ive been playing with the anxiety monster for 12 years now, its certainly frightening. Your best defence is attack...read up, do some research and learn all you can. Maybe if you feel you can identify with what you learn, presenting your findings to your Gp would be a good idea?

Reading the info on the left under panic/anxiety would be beneficial for you I think. But please dont become overly anxious about what you read, anxiety is dreadful, but it wont harm you. Recovery is possible. You just need to work out whats best for you. Eating well is very beneficial, and some members find supplements and vits help. Im not trying to diagnose you, I am not a doctor, but what you have said certainly seems like there are elements of anxiety and depression in you. Id go back to your Gp if I were you, you need to be re-assessed for diagnosis, then go from there. Dont wait 6 monthes, its unfair of your Gp to think you can just get on with life when you feel so ill! Make an appointment, and please let us know how you get on Best wishes, Paula x

Ps...a personal plea...stay away from "Doctor google"...he is not your friend.

Annelou
28-03-12, 16:43
Hi
Just wanted to let you know you are not alone, I have had lots of your symptoms and have found it really hard to believe that they could be down to anxiety and not some kind of serious illness! I am new to the forum too but I have found reading other people's story's really helpful.

I am a young mum and like you really don't want to spend the best years of my like worry about something that probably won't happen, again like you I have a supportive husband but I was starting to really upset him so I decided I really needed to try and do something. I've been to my GP who had given me some sertraline I know this is not the answer for a lot of people and I really didn't want to take medication but I need something to help me get back on my feet again, he had also referred me for some therapy.
There is lots of lovely people here who will be able to give you some excellent advise xx

paula lynne
28-03-12, 18:46
You are online, are you ok Sp?

Sp
28-03-12, 19:06
Thanks for taking the time to read and reply,

I guess Im just at a bit of a 'chicken and egg' moment. I don't know if I feel anxious/depressed because of the way i feel physically or if anxiety/depression is causing the physical symptoms?

I know Im dedicating an unhealthy amount of time to thinking about being ill which in turn is sure to be making me feel worse. I'm not saying I cant function day to day because I can I would just like to feel like I did this time last year. The longer I feel ill for the more frustrated I get

paula lynne
28-03-12, 19:12
Sure, I understand the chicken/egg scenario well. Why dont you dedicate a whole week to eating really well, and getting some gentle exercise, and see how you feel?

Sp
28-03-12, 21:13
Yeah thats pretty sound advice, there are plenty of things I can do so should probably just get on and do them (exercise and diet changes etc) I just find it hard to believe that anxiety can have such a long lasting and dramatic physical effect! But its a very vicious circle as the more you worry the worse the physical symptoms get etc etc.

I think I need to catch a hold of this before it gets out of control after all if it is all in my head there is only one person that can sort it out. I get more annoyed because I have nothing to worry about, I have a great family and friends, work for myself and am financially secure I just don't understand where it has come from. Although if Im honest I think it all started after my son was born, I became terrified of getting ill and leaving him alone this played on my mind long before any physical symptoms appeared.

Pipkin
28-03-12, 22:19
Hi SP and a big, warm :welcome:

I know you'll find lots of people here who share your experiences and that you'll also be able to give a lot to others.

Take care and keep posting

Pip xx

xvolatileheart
30-03-12, 22:42
Anxiety can definitely have long lasting and very physical effects. I completely understand what you mean by the chicken and egg scenario! I too am very happy with my life and didn't feel overwhelmingly anxious when I had my panic attack, but now it's become a vicious cycle because I'm anxious about all of the physical symptoms I'm having. I just feel like yelling "WHERE IS THIS COMING FROM?" I'm trying to just accept that this all is coming from some deep-rooted anxiety and that I have to help myself, but that's no easy task.

Wishing the best for you in your recovery.

Sp
01-04-12, 21:00
I guess because I havnt had a actual panic attack I still doubt that's its anxity causing all my problems. I just can't get the thought of serious illness out of my head. I understand you don't have to have a panic attack to suffer anxiety.
I also wish you all the best and hope you get to grips with your anxiety.