PDA

View Full Version : cant relax

dovid
28-03-12, 18:11
how do people relax with anxiety disorder? from when i woke up i was anxious and had a bad feeling about going somewhere today but i couldnt relax whilst out, its like im constantly thinking ''where am i going with my life'' and just constant negative anxious irrattional thoughts, i have panic attacks in supermarkets and anxiety attacks and ive never stolen in my life but its like im paranoid the workers think im stealing its just soo stressfull everything, i just cant relax, and i just got back in my flat now and i hate it but its like i hate spending time alone and hate so much my own company, everyones got friends and stuff when i see people on the street, and its like i just dont fit in!!!

Josie
28-03-12, 22:04
Hey Dovid,

Sorry to hear that you're feeling so anxious at the moment. When I'm anxious I drink camomile tea, use rescue remedy and read a book to distract my brain from thinking about negative things . I also started running when my anxiety was bad as this helped me to run off the constant adrenalin running through my body. I know that these things aren't for everybody, but hopefully at least one of these things might help.

Take care,
Jo :)

Pipkin
28-03-12, 22:43
Hi there,

People have different ways of relaxing but many of them involve distracting yourself. For me it's reading, going for a run, playing inane games on my phone (my solitaire game count is through the roof) or even posting on here!

When I have a really severe anxiety attack and can't even concentrate on reading, I find remembering a sequence of something calms me down. Usually, it's a series of books I've read and I try to remember them in order and what the stories were. I also use film series, singers' albums, counties in the UK - you get the picture.

Physically trying to relax all my muscles in turn also helps, imagining I'm somewhere warm and sunny.

Everyone's different so give a few things a try and see what works.

Take care

Pip x

hwise05
29-03-12, 10:44
Hey there,

I can totally relate to how your feeling at the moment and I am experiencing the same anxiety and dread. I tend to play tetris in my head for a while which distracts me somewhat. Also, try to take things just in 15 minute blocks and don't worry about what is going to happen after that. Stay positive and feel free to message me any time :)

Helen

dovid
29-03-12, 15:20
thanks for all the replies, got a few ideas now. does camomile tea have benefits to relax? ive never drunk the stuff, all i drink is decaffinated diet coke, but i heard it has a chemical or ingredient in it that isnt healthy, and occasionaly robinsons. also i have mp3 of classical monk music meant for relaxation, but im addicted to rap music, guess i have alot of anger inside of me, and some dr said to me the only person who can help me is myself?! ive not been out all day either which doesnt help, still , im going to a anxiety support group this evening. thanks for all the helpful replies :)

Stormsky
29-03-12, 16:20
Drink lots of water... so much benefit to water, people just dont realise... flushes out all the toxins too... i drink about 3 cups of tea a day, and apart from that just water... didnt like water at first, never drank it before, but the last month i have and got used to it now....
You have friends on here that are here for you anytime, remember that!
And its good you got your anx support group, im sure you have friends there, or potential to make friends there...
ive been sitting in the garden last few days, the sun is good for feeling good, vitamin D !!!

Josie
29-03-12, 20:39
Hey Dovid,

Camomile tea was recommended to me by a counsellor I had as she told me it had natural properties to relax and I have to say, it helps take the edge of the horrible feelings for me. I must admit I hated the taste at first but now I don't mind it. It has no caffeine in it which is good and is used by many sufferers of anxiety and IBS.

Hope this helps :)

Julianne
29-03-12, 20:47
How to relax: Try to stop the mental noise (the constant thought pattern we all have). Do this by distraction methods (reading etc) or by meditation. To calm your mind try this: Sit comfortably and say to yourself 'I am waiting for the next thought to arrive', then wait for the thought to come along, you will find it takes a long time coming since you will have stopped the thought process by just dong this and you will be on the way to learning true relaxation.

If you want to know more look into mindfulness meditation.

Peace and more peace . . .

potato11
29-03-12, 21:39
http://nothingworks.weebly.com/

dovid
29-03-12, 22:54
alright, thanks everyone. im going to try camomile tea and maybe water, im not keen on the taste of it though but to see if it helps. my mood just changes soo rapidly, its like every night im pacing up and down my flat, except not so far tonight. i got told by my therapist that loneliness is a big problem that i have. oh and that i have behavioural probs which makes me feel even more abnormal if thats possible. and Julianne, they talk about mindfulness at the anxiety support group though i dont know anything about it at the moment. a couple of weeks ago, i noticed i was feeling relaxed and i thought to myself ''why am i feeling relaxed, whats wrong with me.''

china doll
29-03-12, 23:10
Hi David

It took awhile before I got to grips with my panic disorder mine was embarrassing shaking whilst I was in busy public areas. The only way I found to cope was to meet up with someone I knew and to keep flooding myself with what was bothering me. People at the end of the day are busy in their own little worlds going about their own business so why should they randomly concentrate on what your doing?

dovid
30-03-12, 00:32
i know, its just so hard to rationalize when your having an anxiety attack. i know what your saying though.

emm
30-03-12, 08:37
Have you tried listening to relaxation CDs/mp3. They help me but you do need to practice at them to get the full benefit. X

hwise05
30-03-12, 17:23
Hey dovid,

I understand that its incredibly difficult to think rationally when your panicking however it is challenging your irrational thoughts which will in time help you. Hope you are well and stay positive!

Helen

dovid
30-03-12, 18:24
ive tried self help hypnosis cds to relax like confidence ones and anxiety and panic attacks ones but i couldnt relax for it to work, so i dont bother with the hypnosis ones anymore, though ive got a cd of dr claire weeks to listen to , she wrote a book on nervousness etc and i got mp3 of classical music as well but i dont listen to it propelly or for long enough, and Helen im meant to record my mood etc and what im doing hour by hour but i end up filling it in at night and have to remember how the whole day went, and thanks for the wishes.