PDA

View Full Version : Pectus Excavatum

sebinkent
29-03-12, 08:19
Hi - if there is anyone on this site who has Pectus Excavatum or 'Funnel chest' or know someone who has this, please get in touch - I would love to compare symptoms, if you have any.

Horse
29-03-12, 16:09
Yes I believe I'm a candidate for this.

Something which seems to have developed in adulthood rather than childhood.

Don't know what the cause is or was but they had an episode of 'Embarrassing Bodies' which covered this awhile ago.

I believe surgery is available but should imagine it is quite a lengthy process.

It is possible to have an Xray taken to make sure that the heart etc., is not displaced or under any pressure etc.

To the best of my knowledge, I'm not sure of any symptoms that are familiar to myself but I have wondered if it was responsible for breathing difficulties and such alike.

I think that the biggest problem is probably a psychological effect it can have on the individual.

sebinkent
29-03-12, 18:58
Thanks Horse - The only reason I am concerned about this is because I sometimes experience shortness of breath too but I put that down to anxiety. I am not asthmatic.
I have had a CT scan of my chest and they say everything is normal so I guess I shouldn't worry..

Horse
29-03-12, 23:04
Yes, the shortness of breath is probably due to Anxiety, otherwise we would suffer it all the time if due to PE.

I was once told by a GP that normally the heart and other organs would adjust to whatever position to compensate for the abnormality in the chest cavity, that is to say providing the problem had been for some years and not happened suddenly, which I believe is not the case anyway unless there has been some reason for this such as an accident etc.

It would appear to afflict people who are very slim (as in my case) more than those who are larger and I believe the cases are high in male rather than female.

Anyway, the fact is...............we are unique!!!!