PDA

View Full Version : Worrying about sepsis!

countrygirl
29-03-12, 10:28
I know this is silly but yesterday I pulled the skin at the side of my nail and it bled as it does, I was out and about and could not wash my finger but I did cut off the snagged skin with some scissors in my handbag and applied a plaster. I always always apply tea tree oil or some antiseptic to any cut on my body. I completely forgot about it when I got hom and did not even take the plaster off and went to bed. This morning when I took the plaster off there was alot of dried blood and I could see the bit of raw wound that had been left when the skin had pulled.

I am now panicking that I left it 12 hrs before putting any antiseptic on my finger! I also woke up feeling yukky with iffy bowels ( probably attack of ibs with me) and aching legs ( probably from swimming two days ago!) but of course in my head these are symptoms that I am getting blood poisoning.

I daren't mention it to my husband as he would shake his head in disbelief as he often had cuts on his hands and does not bother.

anthrokid
29-03-12, 11:35
Hey there CG!

First I want to commend you for not thinking about it as soon as you got home and going straight to sleep. You may not have noticed, but that is actually a really great thing because somehow you were able to take it out of your mind for a while without the fear :) So remember that even though you are worried now, you did forget about it for a while and that was a great step!

I can tell you that it is extremely super duper highly unlikely that sepsis would develop from the kind of cut that you've described. Especially because even if it were to get infected, the infection would be such a small one that you could treat it easily before it would have a chance to get to the blood. You are absolutely fine and you are definitely not sick due to sepsis, this I can garuantee you.

I understand how scary it is, but you will get through it. Just remember how rare spesis really is, and that it would have to be a seriously large cut that would have had to become seriously infected before sepsis would even become a risk. And since we are so on the mark and always attentive with our anxiety, there is no way any of our cuts or sores could get that badly infected!

Hope I've helped to ease your mind a little :)