PDA

View Full Version : Need help, for my partner, early anxiety

HelpPlease
29-03-12, 14:45
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post or not, however, i think my girlfriend is suffering from early stage of anxiety and doesn't know how to cope and i also am not too sure how to help her. It really worrying me as i think that i have suffered in the past also but never seeked help and seemed to overcome it myself (i still sometimes feel some symptoms like overthinking things etc).
She is feeling like she's not sure what's happening to her brain and why she is thinking the things she does. She can't seem to escape it and it is all she is thinking which is causing her to feel depressed, usually she is very bubbly and happy and extremely caring. I think the job she is in isn't helping her and has somehow expanded her mind into thinking thoughts that she has never had before (she is a carer and deals with some dementia patients).
I'm extremely worried about her and would like to help her in any way i can. Please give me some advice if possible, i've read a lot of things on this site already. She is in her early twenties and thinks she is losing her mind, i've tried reassuring her that she isn't just worried that i am not helping her enough

JoJoR
29-03-12, 16:01
The best thing you can do for her is to support her through it. See if you can get her to see her GP and maybe have a little chat with her about what's on her mind. Sometimes being able to open up to someone can help. Is she close to her parents??.. Maybe they can help too by having a chat with her. She sounds very much like I was at the onset of my depression and its very confusing. I said some very strange things and had some very strange thoughts, that felt very real to me at the time, yet now I know it was all my condition.

She's lucky to have someone understanding to support her.

Stormsky
29-03-12, 16:25
Read the couple of articles below=
http://www.anxietyguru.net/why-anxiety-disorder-does-not-mean-youre-crazy/
http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/advice_to_partners.html

HelpPlease
29-03-12, 16:30
Thanks, she has got an appointment with a doctor so hopefully that will have some positive effect. She thinks she is going crazy and can't understand why she is feeling like it, the more she tries to understand why the more it affects her.
She is very close to her family and has great support around her but feels silly and very confused as to why it is happening. It's almost as if a new part of her brain has opened up and she can't control it leading it to take over her thoughts at the moment.
I've suggested she changes her routine, we'll go for walks etc in the evening to take her mind off things. It is very scary and hope she can overcome it soon or learn to channel it. She is thinking that it's just her who is suffering and i don't think she is aware of how wide a problem this is for people everywhere.

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

Thanks Stormsky will read both of them. Any help is most appreciated.