PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm new and confused

red28
29-03-12, 17:44
Hello everyone and hope you are all doing well.

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 7 weeks ago. My GP put me 10mg of citralopram for 4 weeks then increased this to 20mg. I'm still suffering the terrible side effects...light headed, emotionless, not interested in anything , don't feel like talking and afraid to leave the house because of lack of confidence and the recent panic attacks.

I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night for over 1 year and citralopram side effects is just making everything seem worse.

I work full time and during the last year work has been very stressful and I've been off sick since I was diagnosed.

I haven't seen any positive effects whilst taking citralopram so I was thinking of coming off it and maybe take kalms or something similar instead...what do you think?

Has anybody else felt the same? How long does it take to start to feel the effects of citralopram?

My anxiety is worse now than ever before, I seem to be stuck at the bottom of the dark well and can't see a glimmer of light :weep:

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Red xx

nomorepanic
29-03-12, 17:47
Hi red28

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

hwise05
29-03-12, 18:17
Hi there red,

First of all welcome to the site, I've not been a member for very long either but have found the people on here to be warm, friendly and above all understanding. I'm afraid I've never been on citralopram but I do regularly take kalms. I also use rescue remedy, I'm not sure if you've tried that. It might be worth re-visiting your doctor to let them know about your concerns and asking about other natural medications available.

I can totally relate to the way your feeling and I think everybody else on this site will too. Don't think that things can't get better because they can. Its hard to see that at the moment but just joining this site is a step in the right direction. Please feel free to message me any time,

Helen :)

AnxiousAnnie18
29-03-12, 18:32
Welcome to the site! Personally I don't take meds because of this reason but I have read that these sorts of meds can take weeks to work properly and get regular in your system, but I don't know how long this takes so I would go back and discuss with your GP... don't stop them completely without speaking to your GP as this will only make you feel worse. Maybe your GP will try you on a different medication as there are many different ones that work fine for some but not others... good luck!

red28
29-03-12, 18:37
Hi Helen...thank you for replying. I've not heard of rescue remedy...is that a medication? Sorry I'm new to all this.

Im seeing the doctor on Monday and will tell her how I'm feeling and she's very supportive. Last time I saw her she was thinking of increasing my dose to 40mg...that scares me because then I'll have to go through all the nasty side effects again!

Love red xx

Pipkin
29-03-12, 18:58
Hi Red and a big, warm :welcome:

These meds do take a while to kick in and, as you'll read on here, can cause increased anxiety at first. However, they work very well for some people so don't give up without giving them a good go.

You're right to discuss this further with your GP if you're not sure. Definitely don't take any herbal remedies without the ok from your GP first. Some can interact with ADs, St. John's wort being one.

Take care and keep posting

Pip

hwise05
29-03-12, 19:05
Hi Helen...thank you for replying. I've not heard of rescue remedy...is that a medication? Sorry I'm new to all this.

Im seeing the doctor on Monday and will tell her how I'm feeling and she's very supportive. Last time I saw her she was thinking of increasing my dose to 40mg...that scares me because then I'll have to go through all the nasty side effects again!

Love red xx

Rescue remedy is a natural remedy made from flower essences. I use it almost every day and its brilliant for me. It comes in a spray, dropper, pastilles, gummy stars, chewing gum. There's a night time range to aid sleep and even a skincare range. I would check with your pharmacist or doctor before using it just in case it could clash with any medication your already taking.

Heres a link to their website so you can have a wee read - http://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/en-gb/uk/our-brands/rescue-remedy/about-rescue/

Again, feel free to reply on this thread or private message me whenever you want.

Helen

Julianne
29-03-12, 20:00
Hi and welcome,

It sounds like you need an anxiolytic medication so go back to your GP and make it clear just how badly your anxiety is affecting you.

Best thoughts