PDA

View Full Version : Erasing your anxiety memories

Gregor
29-06-06, 22:40
Hi,

I was thinking about something. If it was possible to completely erase the memory of your anxiety problems, would you do it? Myself, i would gladly erase the last 3 years of my life from my memory to get over all my problems. Obviously, this would be more problematic if you've suffered for 20+ years or so!!

Gregor

Wenjoy
30-06-06, 06:43
Yeah I know what you mean - my first PA was 24 years ago and I still remember every bit of it vividly - but I guess the experience helps us understand ourselves and may actually be educational - sort of!!! Love wenjoy x

giddy
30-06-06, 07:14
Hi Gregor
I'm not sure really! I'd like to erase the awful way it makes me feel and the fear, but I think I'd like to keep some knowledge then I couild recognise the warning signs and do something to help myself before another bout of anxiety kicks in.
Love Helen

W.I.F.T.S.
30-06-06, 12:35
I have had the most horrendous last 4 years. I've become more agorophobic, I've felt suicidally depressed..... but I wouldn't erase them.

I think that this could actually be the making of me, that it is bringing my fears to the fore and making me realise that they are just mirages. So instead of being limited and restricted by fear I can actually face it and go through it, expanding my comfort zone and improving my confidence.

I'm understanding myself much better. I know why I have had recurring bouts of depression and I know that instead of being passive I have to be proactive and empower myself.

I'm realising what I want from life, that I want well-being, health, stimulation, direction, strong relationships....I'm realising that it isn't cool to do drugs and to wander aimlessly.

I know now that all those things that I'll do "when I feel better" or "when I'm older", I need to do now, because doing them comes before feeling better. I'm not going to wake up one morning and feel like doing them.

I'm learning to accept myself and other people, because of their faults.

I'm becoming much more open to alternative therapies. They're not wierd, there is actually a lot of validity in them.

I'm still not totally right myself. But I feel so much stronger for what I have learned over these last 4 years. If I could go back to when I was 26 and not have had the crisis that I did it would be very tempting, but then I would have continued to have had grumbling discontent and melancholy for the rest of my life and I would probably have accepted that there are things that I am scared of and, so I would never be able to do them. Atleast this way I can try and live the best life that I can and be free of my doubts and fears.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Nel
05-07-06, 11:39
I think about this all the time. I wish I could erase the memory so that I'm not even thinking about panicking. I feel so envious of people who go about their business without fear.