PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety stopping weight gain?

Douglas
31-03-12, 16:57
I'm 46 years old, and have always had to watch my food intake from my mid 20's on, or I would gain weight. Maybe three years ago I went to my doctor, and he told me my target weight was 200 pounds for my height (6' 4"). I was at 235 pounds.

So, I started watching what I ate, and got down to 205 pounds. During the time I was losing the weight, I was also taking care of my wife who was suffering from cancer. She ended up passing from the disease, and that's when all my anxiety issues started.

I have maintained my 205 pound weight for the last few years, but noticed something this winter. I can eat any types of food, any amount, any time of the day, and I never gain weight. I'm not losing weight, but I'm not gaining any weight either from all my eating. My appetite is really good, and I eat good foods, but have recently thrown in some junk food like ice cream and chips just to see if I would gain......and I'm staying right at 205.

This got me thinking, does anxiety burn calories? Could it be my anxiety that is helping to keep my weight down even though I'm eating good? I was also thinking that it could be the fact I'm much busier now that my wife is gone. I am a single parent of a 14 year old boy, so he keeps me busy, and I don't share the responsibilities anymore with my partner. O also work in construction so that is a physical job.

I was much more of a content person when I was married, and didn't have the high level of anxiety. So I was just wondering if anxiety burns calories?? I also know that thyroid issues run in my family. My dad and sister both take meds for a slow thyroid. I was thinking maybe my thyroid is in fast mode?

Anyway, just some thoughts I've been having. My strength level is good, and so is my appetite. I just feel like I have the metabolism I had as a teen. Another thing I noticed is my bowel movements seem "healthier" for lack of a better word. My stool doesn't seem as loose as they were in the past. They are more of a soft, solid stool.

Anyway, just wondering.

Em84
31-03-12, 17:03
Hi Douglas...

I have def lost some weight since this anxiety got me about 2 years back after my husband got shot in afghan. I also have a very strange appetite...some days I don't eat anything, then others I binge on rubbish as the idea of eating 'proper' food doesn't appeal to me.

I'm 5'6 and weight 9 stone, it's not unhealthy but I def see the difference in my legs and arms.

What you went through losing your wife must have been a really hard thing for you, I thought I had lost my husband at one point....I was a state...prob why I'm here on this site now.

I regualry have problems with loose light coloured stool then occasionally they will be normal...it's def down to diet.

As long as you are at a decent weight for you height etc etc I would say your fine. Stress and anxiety does a lot to our bodies...we have to ride with it...

Xxx

flix08
31-03-12, 17:24
Anxiety can stop you from gaining weight as it speeds up your metabolism x

Joelle
02-04-12, 16:05
Douglas,

I too have lost over 20lbs since my heart issues and anxiety started just after Christmas. I am still losing about a lb a week or so and say it is definately due to my anxiety and nervous feelings I have. Sometimes I just can't eat or not very much for sure. I actually can feel the nervousness in my stomach and get full on very little food. Rarely actually feel hungry and eat because I know I need nurishment.

I am concerned too as feel my body is in a weakened state and I would be more open to get sick. Still try to exercise moderately as don't want to enhance the lose further, but want to stay active. Certainly not trying to lose weight, just coming off easily...if I could market it as a diet I would be rich, but side effects of anxiety are not good.

Hope you feel ok and I think as long as you feel healthy it will be fine.

Take care