PDA

View Full Version : panic and agoraphobia?

hola123
01-04-12, 01:32
i am 23 years old, and have horrible panic attacks that can last for a week at a time it seems like. and now ive become agoraphobic, havent left the house in months. ive tried medicine, tried therapy nothing helps me. what do i do? is anyone else going through this

nomorepanic
01-04-12, 01:35
Have a good read of the website pages on the left for loads of advice and support.

Welcome to NMP

Deepest Blue
01-04-12, 01:45
Hi Hola,

Welcome to NMP... There are a lot of us here who completely understand how you're feeling and what you're going through including myself.

As Nicola suggested take a look at the articles on this site as they are very helpful..

I hope things improve soon, please post more as you feel the need to and we'll help as much as possible.

Take Care

kittikat
01-04-12, 02:00
Hi....I've recently been through this and I am still having issues over how far away from home I can get when alone. It's small steps to help, just a few paces out the door if you can or maybe a trusted friend or family member could help you? I can do so much more if I am with someone. But try not to beat yourself up over it, just be proud of any achievement, however small, and try work on that. Even if it's only opening the door and looking out to start with. Good luck, you are not alone in this but you can make progress with help and support.
Kitti :)

emmasaurus
02-04-12, 09:46
Hi Hola,

I know exactly what you're going through. Since my first (severe) panic (out of the blue in January last year) I've been terribly agoraphobic. Having just completed a course of CBT, I can now do some things alone (for example, walking to the doctor's surgery at the end of my road), but I still struggle. For months I couldn't even be home on my own - I was so sure the panics were something else - something physical. The symptoms I still experience can be utterly terrifying at times.

But things that help me include making the effort to spend time outside (start by sitting on your doorstep, pottering around your garden, then walking to your local park/shop), exercise (to help burn off some of that excess adrenaline. I use a stationary bike, and as I'm exercising I listen to music. Loud music), and distraction (take a distance-learning course, join a yoga class, write a blog). As I said, I'm still just (re)finding my feet myself, but you have to allow time for your mind to recover. After all, a panic attack is one of the most distressing experiences a person can have; it's pure terror, felt over and over.

I hope you find some relief in knowing you're not alone in this. You'll always be able to find someone in the forums who can relate. And please feel free to PM me if you need somebody to talk to.

belgarion
03-04-12, 15:36
^^ good post!

Believe you can turn it around, don't rush it. I spent a year avoiding doing things, and missed some amazing things when I was bad, and I look back in regret, but thankful that I can now go about my normal life without worrying about these things. You can do it! :)

mollymalloy
03-04-12, 17:26
Welcome, sorry you are having a tough time. We all understand what you are going through. I had to make myself get up and go on with daily life. Mine was stress induced and I had ignored all the warning symptoms up until my attack. I have reduced the stress level, by not doing more that I can handle.
Hope you get to feeling better soon, I agree with all the others and advice you to seek help.