PDA

View Full Version : Those with depersonalization...

monika
02-04-12, 05:45
Have you ever experienced symptoms of dp suddenly, like the unreality feelings which then triggered a panic attack? That happened to me for the first time today. Usually dp is just a general feeling I sometimes experience, but today I was looking in the mirror just fixing my hair when I got the dp feelings and it scared me so much that it triggered a small panic attack.

Have any other dp sufferers experienced this?
Thanks (:

tylernator
02-04-12, 06:46
Yes! Depersonalization/derealization was one of the hardest things to overcome with anxiety. At the time i didnt really know what was wrong with me, before i never used to judge anything. Then i started to get panic attacks and it slowley developed.
As before i just accepted life as just life. Now i began to question things like My existence, why is what im looking at real? Is god real? And i developed just a habit of questioning everything.
Basically just realize its part of your anxiety and that its normal. Dont give it anymore credit then it deserves. YOU know when you look in the mirror its you. Believe it!

Stormsky
02-04-12, 07:57
DP is scary... try not to pay too much attention to it though...
I used to get it alot, real scary , and yes enough to make you panic....

xvolatileheart
03-04-12, 22:26
Yes, I've had that exact same experience. Walking along feeling fine when suddenly I didn't feel like I was in my body anymore. I was so scared and got into a complete panic about it. It's all still part of panic attacks unfortunately. Sometimes I feel like my panic attacks are getting sneakier and finding more creative ways to scare me. :wacko:

lee20
03-04-12, 23:06
this happened to me today too just sat playing on my laptop sudden dp and ended up in full blown panic. i often get this out of the blue and strangely enough the first time i ever experienced this i was looking in the mirror (strange or coincidence???).... dp is sooooo scary it always triggers a full blown attack for me. take care

lee :)

monika
04-04-12, 00:49
Thanks for your replies guys!
Usually people and myself describe dp as just a general feeling throughout the day, and this was when I'd first expereienced it out of the blue like that - and it was so intense I literally felt crazy and thought "this is what must happen to crazy people".
Thank you for the reassurance and knowing I'm not alone in the experience.
Just another fun symptom of anxiety I suppose! :yesyes:

jayork
05-04-12, 17:40
I love that you listened to the other fellow sufferers and thought... 'Just another fun symptom of anxiety I suppose!'

and this is exactly what you need to do, simply dismiss it as yet another silly and boring attempt to do your head in by anxiety. The more you understand and accept, the less hold it has on us. I just wish i could believe that 100% during a full blown, crap yourself panic attack! :-) but it is true.

monika
05-04-12, 17:43
Yeah I'm getting better at understanding and accepting these things (:
But it is hard to recall when you feel like your dying, lol!

xvolatileheart
05-04-12, 18:15
Yeah I'm getting better at understanding and accepting these things (:
But it is hard to recall when you feel like your dying, lol!

That's the worst part of it all!