PDA

View Full Version : New Here... Long Sufferer!!

Wilkes
03-04-12, 10:56
Hi all, Am in my 40's now and have suffered (long undiagnosed!) with agoraphobia. started with panic attack in my 20's and then the classic avoiding situations routine, leaving places, feeling trapped, ect. Haven't had a holiday in over 20 years through fear of something terrible happening. Tried so many forms of therapy, am not a believer in taking meds, tried and did not agree at all!
2 years ago had a heart fibrillation event which even though thorough checks have all come back normal have caused me to become a Hypochondriac too.
All this is taking a toll on my family which worries me more. And!!....Don't mean to drag on, after my fibrillation my symptoms became worse my GP referred me to the New Thoughts team in my area, after 6 months they contacted me and said sorry for delay your case will be dealt with soon, another 6 months later i final saw someone for 4 weeks to the be told that he was leaving and i would be put with someone new. That was 3 months ago!
So not sure what part of the forum i should be posting in. would be really great if anyone could recommend someone to me in the surrey area. Really want my life back for my kids sake.

nomorepanic
03-04-12, 10:58
Hi Wilkes

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

paula lynne
03-04-12, 11:35
Hi, welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us. :welcome:Take your time looking around the forum and see which threads appeal, you can go into chat in 5 days.
Paula x

shaka
03-04-12, 12:13
Hi :welcome: you will make lots of friends on here.

MrRedShirt
03-04-12, 13:19
Hello Wilkes.
I'm also new, I joined yesterday. Everyone is very friendly and supportive here. :)

I don't live in your area, so can't help you out there, but I'm sure someone does and can.

Don't feel like you have to answer, but what was your experience with meds that put you off?

Regards,
Simon

Wilkes
03-04-12, 16:28
Hi simon,
Every time i tried med they just made me feel so bad i hated it, and being self employed i just couldn't stop work. Also i was told by doctor once that meds are not always the way to go cos sometime you have to stop.

MrRedShirt
03-04-12, 16:42
How long did you give the meds to work? They can take a few weeks to get going, and in those few weeks they can make you feel pretty rough (I'm currently in that phase at the moment, so I know not to underestimate it).

Also, I was self-employed and I just had to take some time off when anxiety came into my life. I also had other health matters which meant I had to stop working, but the anxiety was enough on its own to prevent me functioning... so if you need to, you need to!

Pipkin
03-04-12, 20:15
Hi Wilkes and a big :welcome:

Pip x