PDA

View Full Version : Grrrr to my clockwork anxiety

Littlemadam
03-04-12, 11:04
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all surviving today as best we can xxxx

I was needing I don't know, a bit of insight or just advice really, as I have spotted the pattern on my pathetic anxiety, and I'm not going to let it do what it normally does. I am acknowledging and believing my fears at the moment are ridiculous, but for some reason I cant shake the feeling in my stomach.

So the pattern is; see amazing BF Fri/Sat/Sun (sometimes feel a bit anxious but it soon goes), Monday am gleaming from a great weekend, and now Tuesday it starts to kick in again....and for countless weeks this has then led to a mini breakdown of vomitting, screaming, crying, not coping, then Thursday I am exhausted but looking forward to the weekend and then fine again :shrug:

I'm not going to pressurise myself to be 100% ok, but at the same time I am not going to let it get to me this week, I will find the strength in knowing that everything is genuinely ok.

Does any one have any more tips?

xxxx

Firehead
03-04-12, 11:26
Hi. It's funny but I get a similar thing centred around Mondays ... I know, classic "I hate Mondays" but the anxiety is real enough.

By Friday I'm fine and have a good weekend EVEN IF the week has been awful!

Weird.

Littlemadam
03-04-12, 11:31
Yeah it is really strange, and so uncalled for, I'm an independant person, so why oh why does it all go wrong during the week?

Have written on my ABCD form, so fingers crossed that helps somewhat xxxx

Do you have any ways of coping with it?

Firehead
03-04-12, 13:03
I am a fan of self-help books and so tend to use positive self-talk. That helps a little but I find that trying to think through any difficulties that are real usually helps. Sometimes the anx is not attached to anything real though!

I've previously not wanted to try formal CBT but I have recently relented and am going to give it a go.

Littlemadam
11-04-12, 09:58
Sorry Firehead, have just seen your reply! How are you doing?

I am glad you're giving CBT a go, the sessions I have had now, I can see a slight improvement every time I go. It is hard work, and changing years of ingrained thought patterns is so so hard, but I am definitely feeling the benefits.

And yep, anxiety to me is a perceived danger from within, the issue doesn't have to physically exist for it to be there. But the CBT does really probe and to me there has always been something underlying I wasn't even aware of that triggered it.

xxxxx

paula lynne
11-04-12, 10:19
Hi Little madam :)
Read Dr Claire Weekes Self-help for your nerves, she explains about adrenaline exhaustion, how after a few good days we come down with a massive bump, bit lit what youre feeling. Problem is with anxiety, your body cant tell the difference between "good stress" (Eustress) and "bad stress" (Distress).

So you have a run of "good" stress, being with your boyfriend and getting out and about and enjoying life, but eventually your anxiety says "Hang on a minute.....I need attention........" and your adrenaline kicks in again and this time brings anxiety along for the ride too, and you are left depressed, exhausted, and panicky.

I think if you KNOW WHY these things happen, the fear of them goes away a bit and you take back control. It may not stop it, but at least you know why its happening and you are not going mad etc lol x

Id really recommend the book love, try it, best wishes and have a good Wednesday, if you can! Paula x:D

Littlemadam
11-04-12, 11:17
Thanks Paula!

I have seen it recommended so many times, I am going to have to get it and have a read. And agreed, if you know what you are dealing with you can work with it rather than try and fight against it.

When I broke down in front of OH of Saturday I knew the trigger, knew that my body went into fight/flight thing and that was it. Calmed down within an hour. But yeah, I would love a deeper understanding.

My CBT lady has recommended a self esteem book which I am working through, I would never have guessed it was low, but she can see things more than I can.

How are you doing today hun?

xxx

paula lynne
11-04-12, 17:07
Im doing ok thats love, enjoying a palpatation free day, and managed some cooking with my son! I laugh in the face of my vertigo!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! (Thats me, laughing in the face of my vertigo....):D
Try the book, and as I have it, if you need a pointers/support, just let me know x

Firehead
22-04-12, 10:32
Sorry Firehead, have just seen your reply! How are you doing?

I am glad you're giving CBT a go, the sessions I have had now, I can see a slight improvement every time I go. It is hard work, and changing years of ingrained thought patterns is so so hard, but I am definitely feeling the benefits.

And yep, anxiety to me is a perceived danger from within, the issue doesn't have to physically exist for it to be there. But the CBT does really probe and to me there has always been something underlying I wasn't even aware of that triggered it.

xxxxx

Cheers Littlemadam. I've had my CBT assessment and now have to keep a diary for next time. Fngers crossed!

I'm not too bad just now and I hope that you are ok too.