PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone just got brave and joined up ....

Hilycat
03-04-12, 15:35
:)Hello just got brave enough to join, guess i should say a little about me and my anxiety issues.
last year was what i will always call the year of pain i had chronic nerve pain due to a prolapsed disc in my lower spine i was on 12 - 14 tablets a day for 3-4 months to just be able to stand up! I was taking a drug called Amitriptyline a nerve suppressor along with codeine and ibuprofen, at christmas my GP increased the dosage of the Amitriptyline (i think she just wanted me to have a pain free xmas) anyway within a week i was having palpitations and waking up breathless in the night i should have stopped taking them -but i though it would pass. How wrong i was it resulted in me having a major PA my heart rate was 161 bpm i was tachycardic and i hyperventilated to the point i couldnt feel my legs i was rushed to A+E it took 4hrs to stablise me the doctors said it was a reaction to the Amitriptyline which can cause severre palpitations. I really thought i was having a heartattack and i was going to die. It was a couple of days later the anxiety set in- i couldn't swallow,i was over breathing i had disturbing thoughts ,reality seemed like a dream and i became suicidal.
I have a great partner she helped me so much and my GP was very attentive and even came to see me of her own back. Since the xmas that didnt exist i have been taking Sertraline 100mg a day and diazepam 2mg as and when. I was feeling alot better but last week i had another anxiety attack felt very sick and had the bad repetative thoughts the feelings of fear and dread returned. Today is a good day apart from the facial tension and sickly stomach so i thought id stop just looking at the threads on here and join in!
I have been in touch with my CPN to begin CBT as its clear to me that this is clearly not over and i need the support in place as my partner and i are having IVF and im scared i will not be much use in supporting her through all the drugs and procedures she will be going through.Be great to hear from others in same situation. Thanks for listening.

diane07
03-04-12, 15:37
Hi Hilycat

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

ElizabethJane
03-04-12, 15:48
Hi Hilycat I had successful IVF (first attempt) and now have a son aged fourteen. PM me if I can be of any help. EJ

Pipkin
03-04-12, 20:14
Hi Hillycat and :welcome:

You've definitely had a hard few months and you've done well to get through it and keep positive.

What you're experiencing is fear of the fear. You must have vivid memories of your time around Christmas and when you start to feel anxious, you think it's going to happen again. I know how awful it is to get stuck in that vicious circle.

I'm sure you'll find reading through some of the threads here useful, especially on how people have different ways of dealing with their anxiety. Your GP sounds very understanding so keep talking to her. Therapy should also help.

Good luck and keep posting

Pip x

Hilycat
04-04-12, 12:14
Thank you so much pipkin, yes i thought there was some element of me re- remembering all that previously happened -well reliving it in my mind really, im a logical person i know this is a blip and i can get through it as i got through last time but that lingering feeling that your going to get carted off in a straight jacket for feeling this way is the hardest thing to get past also i find myself trying to analize why and how could i have such horrible thoughts like you said " a vicious cycle". This forum is great for realising your not alone ive been very thankfull of some of the threads on here the last few months.

Pipkin
04-04-12, 14:34
Hi there,

You seem very self aware and that's really important. I'm as guilty as the next person of over-analysing things and this usually leads to a blind alley as there is no real answer to why we get anxious and it defies logic most of the time which is hard for logical people like you and me to accept.

Take care and keep in touch

Pip x