PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline... Bad Day....HELP!!

pinkunicorn
03-04-12, 18:43
Hey everyone,I haven't been on here for a while. I'm on week 7 of sertraline and I don't feel like I'm improving. Today has been the worst day in a long,long time and I've scratched my arm until it's red and so sore,it looks awful. I haven't done that for years. I'm ashamed of myself,but all this anger,frustration,upset,all the tears stuck inside that I can't release,I just didn't know what else to do,where else to turn,I feel like I'm just going round in circles all the time. As hard as I try to help myself,it's just not happening. I feel so stupid and I've made such a mess of my arm. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from the new medication,I don't know. I'm also trying to carry on,working everyday,reading positive books and trying to keep busy and occupied,I don't want the depression to beat me,I've had too many days like this. Maybe today is just a bad day,I don't know.

Thanks for reading.

LAURA48
03-04-12, 19:06
Hi there - what dose are you on - I came off it - felt worse tbh - 7 weeks should be kicking in now. Why don't you go and see your GP or get a referral - I feel I have been messed around with meds too much and waiting to see a psychiatrist to get something for my condition who understands. Not playing Russian Roulette!

Have you been on a fews meds in the past?

Sorry you are feeling crap - know it very well.

pinkunicorn
03-04-12, 22:44
Thanks Laura.

I've been on citilopram before I was put onto this. But,I stupidly came off them because I thought I was coping. I wasn't so I've ended up on this. I'm on 50mg. My GP said he won't up my dose because if it doesn't help me on 50mg then it probably won't help me at all. I don't know,I just feel like I'm limbo,like I'm never gonna get anywhere and I'm always gonna be struggling.

ems73
04-04-12, 13:14
Hi Pinkunicorn, I came off Citalopram after several years because I thought I was fine. It's never stupid tho as how would we know if we didn't try.

Like you I relapsed and tried Sertraline. I gave it 6 weeks. Had 2 very short periods of feeling better but then seemed to be getting worse so I stopped. I'm now on week 3 of Prozac. Immediately felt better than Sertraline. After 2 weeks definitely felt a difference. 3 weeks in I'm having more good days than bad but not quite there yet. I'm hoping another couple of weeks will really help.

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

I know how you feel within thinking it will never end. I think we all feel like that sometimes. However, my counsellor says that sometimes when you've been on meds for a while, you can need a little bit of a higher dose and it can take a bit longer. It's different for everyone. What the doctor says about the dose I don't agree with. I think different doses can definitely make a difference.

alfredo1
04-04-12, 13:19
Hi Ems, glad you've seen an improvement with the Prozac - have you had any withdrawals from the sert. Did you cross taper?? I'm just so confused on what to to. MY GP is totally rubbish and seems to have no idea whatsoever!

I've been on sert now for 8 weeks. I've messed about with the dose a bit went from 50mg to 100mg after 2 weks, then raised to 125mg for 2 weeks now I'm bakc down to 100mg. I'm losing weight , feel like i'm in a bubble, was so tearful yesterday, tingly, flipping tummy etc I just thought by now I should feel a bit better and should not still be losing weight. What are your thoughts?

thansk Kel
x

ems73
04-04-12, 13:41
Hi Kel, it's difficult because if you come off now and Prozac doesn't work you may wish you'd stuck it out, but to be honest it may be worth trying Prozac after 7 weeks on Sertraline without great improvement.

I had no problems at all, took my last Sertraline 100mg one day then a Prozac 20mg the next day and just carried on. No tapering and I instantly felt better by day 2 of Prozac (not less anxious just less crap and side effecty). Anxiety lessened by week 2. Yesterday had almost no anxiety. Today little bit of a step back but just a bit. Only side effect was lack of sleep but that calmed down after 2 weeks.
Everyone's different but if it were me I'd try Prozac. Doctors are crap, they never know what to suggest, just tell him what you want to do and he'll write the prescription.

You just don't know how you'll react to a med til you try it.

cathycrumble
04-04-12, 14:00
I am on week 6 and taking 50mg. I did go up to 100 but felt lousy had the runs and high anxiety so came down to 50 where I am staying for a while. My gp did say 100 is good for anxiety but I am staying put.

I would say Kel give yourself time on the 100 as you have upped your doses very quickly and not give time for each dose to kick in. I do feel you symptoms are mostly due to side effects. Stable yourself on 100 for a couple more weeks and see how you go.

but by all means if you can't cope then go see your gp for a change as emms says.

good luck

Cathy xx

pinkunicorn
04-04-12, 14:22
Thanks for the kind words ems....I guess I do just need to stick with it. Its just hard at the moment when all that's going through my mind is self harming. I haven't felt like this in years. I don't know if it is a really bad patch or it the medication making me feel this way. It's just horrible,I just feel like I'm losing hope as each day goes by.

julieannboo
05-04-12, 15:13
Thanks for the kind words ems....I guess I do just need to stick with it. Its just hard at the moment when all that's going through my mind is self harming. I haven't felt like this in years. I don't know if it is a really bad patch or it the medication making me feel this way. It's just horrible,I just feel like I'm losing hope as each day goes by.

sorry to hear that. dont lost hope.

there is a site that helped me out so much with regards to anti depressants it is called paxilprogress.org

pinkunicorn
05-04-12, 20:22
Thanks Julie,things still feel really difficult today. I could so do with a BIG HUG! Something simple that people take for granted at times. Still got the urge to self harm,my counsellor given me some tips of what else to do instead of hurting myself. But,to be honest nothing else seems like it's gonna give me the release I need. But,hey,keep going,keep fighting the urges.

Thanks for your kind words xx