PDA

View Full Version : Has any one managed to stay of seroxat and go med free???

vetran32
04-04-12, 13:38
Hi currently on day 44 of no Seroxat anyone ever managed to get off and stay off withought going on other meds ??? would realy appreciate anyones experiences thankyou :D

ems73
04-04-12, 13:44
Hi Karl
Not personally but am interested to hear how you're getting on after stopping Sert. How do you feel?

vetran32
04-04-12, 14:00
only took sertraline for 21 days when i stopped seroxat found it horrible so stopped now taking nothing and want to stay of seroxat even though it did help in the past would like to be free of it for good :D

carlleo123
04-04-12, 16:59
I did for a couple of years after being on them for about 10 years and found it quite easy.
I then went through a divorce and stuff so unfortunately ended up back on meds that didnt help. Tried going back on seroxat about a week ago but they made me feel awful so I'm going down the exercise and diversion route.
So yeah it can be done, I think its a case of finding something that can occupy you while your doing it.

Good luck !

Stormsky
04-04-12, 20:35
I took meds for years. amitryptline... been off them 8 months now, so am med free!! and happier without them !! they dont cure anything, just mask, and if anything can give you a whole lot of other new symptons...

dan1234
04-04-12, 21:22
I took meds for years. amitryptline... been off them 8 months now, so am med free!! and happier without them !! they dont cure anything, just mask, and if anything can give you a whole lot of other new symptons...

Meds don't claim to cure anything. Only you can do that. The aim is to help reduce the distress felt. They are only one tool in a toolbox.

Stormsky
04-04-12, 21:51
Meds don't claim to cure anything. Only you can do that. The aim is to help reduce the distress felt. They are only one tool in a toolbox.

yep i know that Dan

julieannboo
05-04-12, 15:35
i am on 8.4mg of paxil now after being on 20mg for 12 years.

i didn't know then but these are bad drugs that change the brain chemisty.

i have only got down from 20mg to 8.4mg - by doing the 10% taper every 3-6 weeks. when in the past if i missed a dose or tried to come off seroxat too quickly by dropping from 20mg to 15mg the head zaps and bad thoughts were so bad - so i would have to go back up to 20mg.

this time round by doing the 10% i have none of that - just my anxiety which i have anyway. i would be rather anxious off of seroxat then anxious on it!

i started tapering last july. i am looking at getting off it completely by next march.

a nice slow taper, where the brain can adjust back to baseline and i can still function and work, etc.

19 months taper in total.

lets get this done :D

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

Meds don't claim to cure anything.

yes they did.

the advertising campaigns in the 1990s' were criminal by telling us how wonderful these drugs could be.

we got lied to.

ems73
05-04-12, 15:58
Actually drugs work amazingly well for some people. They can't get to the root of what's causing your depression or anxiety but they can certainly take away all the horrible feelings and leave you free to get on with your life without feeling suicidal!! They have worked brilliantly for me in the past and currently feeling pretty good on Prozac.

Everyone's different and I know some prefer not to take medication but THEY DO WORK. If you want to get to the root of your depression or anxiety then CBT/therapy is helpful and making changes in your life. However, some people have these problems for no reason that they can identify and so medication is the best answer for them.

julieannboo
05-04-12, 16:05
how do they work then? please explain this to me.

thanks.

ems73
05-04-12, 16:09
I'm not a doctor Julianneboo I just know that they take away all the anxiety and depressed feelings. When I first took Prozac it was like a light being switched on.

julieannboo
05-04-12, 16:20
they take away everything else too.

feeling happy, feeling sad, always hungry after eating, etc

i ended up not feeling anything on these tablets.

haz
05-04-12, 19:13
Not everyone is the same. I take meds and they help me by making me feel less anxious and depressed. I still have normal emotions like happy, sad, anger, annoyed just like everyone else has these emotions.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Just because antidepressants didn't work for you Julieannboo is not a reason to go around telling anyone who will listen how evil they are. Don't be so selfish.

vetran32
05-04-12, 19:51
Thanks for your replies means alot guys Karl :)

julieannboo
05-04-12, 21:36
Not everyone is the same. I take meds and they help me by making me feel less anxious and depressed. I still have normal emotions like happy, sad, anger, annoyed just like everyone else has these emotions.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Just because antidepressants didn't work for you Julieannboo is not a reason to go around telling anyone who will listen how evil they are. Don't be so selfish.

They worked for me 9 years out of the 12 years. I wish that that i had been given the information by doctors at the time:
I was never told that these drugs dont work forever.
I was never told that when seroxat stopped working for me i would be in 'poop out' which would mean bad withdrawal symptoms despite still being on the drug.
I was never told that i couldnt just stop taking these because the withdrawal is the same as a blunt trauma to the brain hence the brain zaps, suicidal thoughts, ramped up anxiety, etc. and the withdrawal symptoms are often worse then what you went on it for in the first place.
I was never told docs do not know how these drugs work and they change the precious brain chemisty.
I was never told that the 'chemical imbalance' theory is just that; a theory.
I was never told that you cannot be tested for depression by doing a brain scan or blood test but it based on someones opinion whether they decide to put you on these drugs.
I was never told that 'social anxiety' was a made up name for shyness which the advertising company come up with so they could promote the use of seroxat for GSK.
I was never told that i would feel apathy towards my family and friends and not care about my appearence.
I was never told that i would be constantly tired and after having 10 hours sleep of a night i would be sleeping up to 4 hours in the afternoon.
I was never told that my appetite would go through the roof and i would gain 24 pounds despite never having a weight problem pre seroxat.
I was also unaware that the anti depressant industry is a billion dollar a year money making operation.
I was never told that the drug companies who push these drugs through are also on the boards of the FDA so there is a huge conflict of interest.
I never knew that doctors vote on what different types of depression to put into the dsm medical book by a show of hands.
I was never told that seroxat was tested for only 8 weeks before it went out on the market.
I was never told how to wean off of this slowly.

IF i was told all of this at 19 years of age when i was prescribed seroxat then i could have made an INFORMED choice.

haz
05-04-12, 22:09
Well, I was on Seroxat for 14 years and apart from gaining some weight (ALL anti-depressants have a tendency to do this) and the odd brain zap just before my period, I suffered no other side effects and came off them without any signficant problems.

SO I REPEAT, WE'RE NOT ALL THE SAME!

dan1234
05-04-12, 22:12
Well, I was on Seroxat for 14 years and apart from gaining some weight (ALL anti-depressants have a tendency to do this) and the odd brain zap just before my period, I suffered no other side effects and came off them without any signficant problems.

SO I REPEAT, WE'RE NOT ALL THE SAME!

Ignore her. Nearly all her posts are trying to promote this " paxilprogress.org" site even when it has no relevance.

haz
05-04-12, 22:20
Does this count as :spam: ???

julieannboo
05-04-12, 22:44
I dont know what you mean by saying paxil progress isnt relevant?
Anyway point taken. I wont post again about this.

oldcookie1
15-08-13, 20:50
I have been seroxat free for 8 months without taking other meds just omega 3, cod liver oil and multi vits. I have ups and downs and still feel I am not back to 'normal' I tapered but probably too quickly in hindsight. I was on seroxat for 14 years.